New Implant

Don Doherty

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the group and would like to introduce myself. My name is Don Doherty and I am 73 years young. I lost some of my hearing while serving as an automatic rifleman in the Marine Corps during my tour in Vietnam (66-67). It got bad enough that I was medically evacuated from Puerto Rico in 1970 where I was then stationed, to Philadelphia Naval Hospital which was the Hearing Center at the time. I was tested and diagnosed with bilateral neurosensory high frequency hearing loss and had a hearing aid ordered. While waiting for the aid to come in I was fortunate to undergo an aural rehabilitation program which the military had in those days. When my in-the-ear aid came in (June 1970) I learned I was being recommended for discharge. I appealed this Physical Evaluation Board (PEB) finding and was allowed to finish my Marine Corps career provided I change my military occupational speciality and limit my exposure to loud noise. I had many challenges being a Marine with a hearing aid but finally retired in 1987. When I was released from the Marine Corps I went to the Veterans Administration where I was issued a much needed second hearing aid. I then worked for the Veterans Administration for the next 25 years. All totaled I had worn hearing aids for about 45 years. As my hearing grew progressively worse, my audiologist told me my hearing aids were no longer helping me. I then began to consider getting a Cochlear Implant. It took me doing some study and research before I finally made the commitment to proceed. The approval process came from the Veterans Administration as my hearing loss was considered service connected and they were going to pay for it. I chose Med-El because I wanted the latest technology, the ability to have an MRI, and an implant that could get as close to the hearing nerve as possible. I also attended two Med-El Mingles where I liked the staff especially Taylor Sands who was very helpful and answered many of my questions. My decision to get a cochlear implant was reinforced by these Med-El activities and contacts.

On September 5th I received a Synchrony 2 Cochlear Implant from the esteemed Dr Stephanie Antonio-Moody at Norfolk-Sentara General Hospital in Norfolk, VA. I can’t believe it’s been only six days ago. I have met my Cochlear Implant audiologist, Dr Anna Louthan, and will be getting the Sonnet 2 and Rondo 2 audio processors. My activation date is September 24th, just 13 days away, and I am anxious to begin my new life’s journey.

I thank everyone in advance for your support.

Semper Fi,

Don

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Don Doherty

Congratulations and welcome to HearPeers!

Taylor Sands is amazing.

I’m looking forward to following your journey!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Don Doherty hello and welcome!  It's a small world, I have a friend who lives in Virginia Beach and teaches nursing at Sentara's  program.

When is your activation?  That's when the fun really begins.

@Don Doherty congratulations on your implant!  I too was implanted by Dr Stephanie Moody on my left ear about 10 years ago. I just got implanted in my right ear about 3 months ago at Vanderbilt  

good luck on your activation  

Next time you see her tell her I said hello. 

Thank you Percy. I see Dr Moody again on 10/29 and will see how good her memory is. She came highly recommended and I was fortunate to have her as my surgeon. I belong to HLAA and Dr Moody performed their surgeries as well.

Thanks for the help on getting my pictures straight. I have one for profile and one for my posts. Really accents my approaching frontal baldness. That’s fine as I plan on making my future audio processors colorful and noticeable. Maybe then folks will look at me when talking, especially my many cashiers, who look down while talking and making change!. 

Just now, Don Doherty said:

Thanks for the help on getting my pictures straight. I have one for profile and one for my posts. Really accents my approaching frontal baldness. That’s fine as I plan on making my future audio processors colorful and noticeable. Maybe then folks will look at me when talking, especially my many cashiers, who look down while talking and making change!. 

Semper Fidelis,

Implant -Synchrony 2 - Sep 4, 2019; Activation with Sonnet 2 & Rondo 2 on 9/24/19.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was activated yesterday and after the wait it was an awesome experience to say the least. During activation I heard high pitch sounds that I haven’t heard in over 50 years. I was using a Rondo 2 audio processor because my Sonnet 2 hasn’t come it yet. I had a problem with the Rondo 2 in that the processor kept falling off because the magnet wasn’t strong enough. Without the wires I was able to keep it on but with a safety line clipped to my shirt. I heard sounds but wasn’t able to discriminate words without lip reading. When I took off the processor at bedtime I heard after sounds that were almost like melodies.

Today after morning chores I read and listened to an audio book for about four hours. It was tiring as I kept losing my place with the speaker because the discrimination wasn’t there yet. Later I went out to a Capt D’s Restaurant with just the CI and I was able function but only by reading lips.

I’m still using my left hearing aid for phone calls as I’m not set up for CI calls yet. My audiologist just wants me to get comfortable and get used to the volume. I was given four programs of increasing volume with a goal of reaching program 4 by my next mapping in two weeks.

I want to use some other listening programs tomorrow. I looked for Soundscape on the Med-El site but it was down. I have a lot of support from two members of my HLAA Chapter (Thank you Jane & Angela) and am encouraged that my hearing and discrimination will improve.

That’s the latest from this end.

Don

Does anyone know when the Sonnet 2 will start shipping? I was a little disappointed that it hadn’t arrived by my activation yesterday.

Thanks,

Don

• HearPeers Heroes

@Don Doherty

Congratulations!  I had the same experience when I removed my processor at night in the beginning.  My brain kept playing sounds.  It went away.

If your Rondo 2 is not staying in place well at the moment, you can get GripWear from Med-El or use a headband (like Med-El’s sports band) for a while.  Is your audiologist getting you a stronger magnet?

I believe we have a friend in common. @Angie  She is awesome.

I will tag you in a topic where you can find my favorite aural rehab apps and activities.

Wishing you the best!

5 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Waving.......Hey Mr. Doherty!!!!

Welcome to HearPeers!  You are in the right place for support and encouragement!   So happy for you as you now embark on your journey towards hearing again.  I see you met my most treasured friend,  Mary!  She is a godsent!  If ever you have any questions, in addition to the support here on this forum,  Mary can help you as well.   Continued blessings to you!

Angela

5 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Congratulations!  I had the same experience when I removed my processor at night in the beginning.  My brain kept playing sounds.  It went away.

If your Rondo 2 is not staying in place well at the moment, you can get GripWear from Med-El or use a headband (like Med-El’s sports band) for a while.  Is your audiologist getting you a stronger magnet?

I believe we have a friend in common. @Angie  She is awesome.

I will tag you in a topic where you can find my favorite aural rehab apps and activities.

Wishing you the best!

I had to swap out my magnet to a level 4 and so far it’s been holding up well. I was glad to get a strong recommendation to keep my Rondo attached with a clip. While attending to toilet duties I had an itch and scratched forgetting for a moments that my Rondo 2 was attached to my head. You all know what happened next, my Rondo took a dive straight for the hopper saved at the last moment by my safely line. I will always keep my line attached. I don’t know for sure but I’m pretty positive my Rondo 2 can’t swim!

Don

• HearPeers Heroes

@Don Doherty

If it is anything like the Rondo 1 it will sink like a stone!

I love my Rondo 1 processors, especially in waterwear, but I always have them tethered and clipped to me.

Don

Congratulations on your implant. I was activated about six months ago and had similar experiences to you when I was first activated. I’d walk outside and hear a chirping noise that my wife said was birds and I could hear the microwave beep when it was done (I never knew it beeped!). But my speech recognition was minimal (and that’s being generous). Now, six months later, after working on rehab (I find Angel sounds to be excellent and have also used Clix) I’ve tested at about 55% word recognition with 75% score on phonemes. Not where I want to be but I share it so you know there will be improvement. 

Good luck

Congratulations I am bilateral I had my first implant in 2016 and my second 2018.It will only get better for you

I have the Sonnets and I was able to receive one Rondo 2 and I love the Rondo it certainly has its place in the hearing world