Audiolink / Batteries ??

Tutz67

Hi, I am currently searching for info regarding the Sonnet 2 and Rondo 2 - I am meeting with the surgeon on Monday to discuss choice of implant, at this time I am leaning toward MedEl but I am confused as to the connectivity with BT.  My question is -

do you have to have the audiolink (remote control) on you at all times or does the BT work directly through the phone App?  

Also - the battery option - is the Sonnet 2 operational with rechargeable and disposable batteries or is it one or the other?  Is this the same for the Rondo 2?

Thank you for your help

Lorna 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tutz67

Hi Lorna,

Wishing you the best on your CI journey!

Rondo 2 works with a rechargeable built-in battery.  The entire Rondo 2 sits on the wireless charger while you sleep to charge.  There is also an accessory called the mini battery pack which powers the Rondo 2 via a thin cable to the battery pack.  That battery pack can use a disposable battery.

Sonnet 2 works with both rechargeable batteries and disposable batteries.  The rechargeable batteries come in two sizes.  The most popular size is the larger standard rechargeable battery.  It uses a rechargeable battery adaptor to connect to the Sonnet 2.  Implant strength zinc air disposable batteries (like Power One Implant batteries) work with Sonnet 2 also.  They use a disposable battery pack to connect to the Sonnet 2.  The same battery cover works with rechargeable batteries and disposable batteries.  So as long as you have these items you can switch between using rechargeable and disposable batteries with Sonnet 2.

The remote control options for Sonnet 2 and Rondo 2 vary a bit.

Rondo 2 uses the FineTuner or FineTuner Echo as a remote.  This remote lets us switch between the 4 programs our audiologists placed in the Rondo 2.  It lets us switch between M, MT and T settings for anytime we wish to use telecoil functions (Artone BT neckloop, at theaters, Roger MyLink neckloop receiver with Roger Select transmitter.......).  This remote also lets us change the volume and sensitivity (sound bubble size).  The FineTuner is a small remote.  I have not seen the FineTuner Echo yet.  I only use my remote to switch to T when streaming music, audiobooks or podcasts through the Artone BT neckloop.

Sonnet 2 can use the FineTuner (like above) or the additional features of the FineTuner Echo (like stopping the audio input from the AudioLink)

The FineTuner and FineTuner Echo are our remotes.

The AudioLink is a streaming device that works with Sonnet and Sonnet 2.  It streams audio to a built in receiver.  We can stream the audio, change the mixing ratio and volume levels via the AudioLink.

Sonnet 2 can also use the app called AudioKey.  The app communicates directly to the Sonnet 2.   I am not sure exactly what settings & features the AudioKey app will offer.  It has not been released yet in the US. From the Med-El info so far it is clear that the Sonnet 2 can do things directly from the AudioKey app whereas the Sonnet needs the app to communicate through the AudioLink to the processor.

Our processors, connectivity options, accessories change so fast!  I have only been implanted for 4.5 years and am amazed at how fast things change.  Our internal components we hope to have for life.  

Enjoy your journey!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tutz67

Hi Lorna,

I was overwhelmed with choosing a brand even though I work as a Teacher of the Deaf so have been working with students with cochlear implants for years.  I can only imagine how much more overwhelming it is for people who are new to cochlear implants.

I made my choice for Med-El based on Med-El’s electrode array options.  They have an extensive range of electrode arrays to fit various cochleas.  I wanted the best possible internal components to match my ears.

The processors and accessories change so fast.  They are always moving forward with better ways of handling noise and connectivity options.  That is great for us.  Tech is changing so fast now.  I joke that my timing for going deaf was awesome.  Smile.

Feel free to ask more questions here about Med-El processors or our hearing experiences with our Med-El CIs.  We will be happy to help.

Wishing you the best on your journey!  It is life changing.  Best decision ever for me.

Thanks again for, yet more information - your right, it is overwhelming.  Yesterday I saw the surgeon and have a date set for October 4. Anxiety reigns supreme at this time!!  I was and still am set on Med El.  I was surprised when he said he implanted 95/100 Cochlear to 5/100 Med El - this then put me into melt down again - am I choosing the correct implant??  It is like being offered a car -  here, take your pick - do you want Ford, Holden or VW ??  So very overwhelming.  

Whilst I am still team Med El,, especially for the rechargeable batteries, the company, the electrodes  - I am trying to understand the Bluetooth option - can you receive calls, podcasts, audio books direct to the implant only when wearing the audio link?  and do you need to carry around  remotes with you or can you adjust settings on a iPhone App?   

I really appreciate your help with these questions, many thanks, Lorna

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tutz67

Hi Lorna,

We have Med-El CI users here from Australia.  Maybe they will join in.

Sonnet 2 will be able to use the app, AudioKey, to change settings.  Rondo 2 uses a remote to do that (FineTuner).

I can listen to audiobooks, music, podcasts, phonecalls all hands free with the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.  It is small and light and can be worn under your shirt.

Sonnet 2 can stream audio through the AudioLink at this time.  It is small and light.  It can be in a pocket or clipped to you.

Hi Lorna and Mary,

I have both ears blugged in with med-el and I have both sonnet and sonnet 2 and the rondo 2 also. They all work absolutely great.

Feel free to ask me any questions at all.

I have only had sonnet 2 for two days now. Which i am the first one in Australia to have the sonnet 2.

Sonnet 2 works bloody awesome best sound quality the app on my phone is very easy to use.

Like I said feel free to ask any questions and I hope I can answer your questions well.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Michael Drury

Awesome!

Will you tell me all about Sonnet 2? And the AudioKey app?

I’m eager to learn.  I have Sonnets.

Yea not a problem at all.

The Audiokey app works great easy to use even has GPS if you lose one of your processors it will pin point with in 5 meters of were it is.

The sonnet 2 is amazing the sounds quality is great. I used the used the Audiokey yesterday when I went out for lunch with my mates at our local pub and wow it works unbelievably really great it pin points sounds and conversations really well.

Also while driving it dose the same thing.

And the app on my phone works great by using this app makes things alot easier through the day. And yes your battery on my phone doesn't last as long as it use to, put I'm not fused on that at all as I'm just blessed that I have my hearing back. And also the team from med-el are amazing iv never had an issue at all. If i have questions to ask i get a response with hours of me emailing or a phone call.

I highly recommend Med-el to anyone. The main reason of my choice with med-el is cause of my injuries i have from the accident i was in. Iv had numbers of MRI scans and I will be needing more in the near future.

Hope this helps. Or if you have any pther questions pls feel free to ask.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Michael Drury

I am glad your CIs are working so well for you!  That is terrific.  They are life changing indeed.

What can we actually do through the AudioKey app?  Does it just work as a remote control like the Fine Tuner with a find my processor option?

Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Michael Drury

Congrats on your Sonnet 2! How does it compare to the Rondo2 in terms of sound and clarity?

I have Sonnet 1 and Rondo 2. 

I am looking forward to hearing about your journey. 

Was the bar you went to very noisy? And all background noise was blocked out with the Sonnet 2? How did the Audiokey help with that? Pardon my ignorance. 

@Mary Beth

With the Audiokey app you can do all the same things as the remote you have. Plus more like the GPS tracker and also it has your own status on there that gives you the ability to check how long you have been active for on the app.

Iv done a screen shot of what one of the pages look like as everything is like a drop down to change volume, sensitivity restores back to factory settings if your not halpy with the changes you have made.

Once I get to use the app alittle more I'll keep you guys posted with it

Screenshot_20190920-131710.jpg

@Jewel

Thank you.

The quality between sonnet 2 and the rondo 2 to me they are 2 different sounds.

With the rondo 2 it's very sensitive not really sure why bit that's just what I think.

And yes the bar that I went to was very load and all i did was placed the Audiokey in the middle of the table facing up and it worked great only picking up what all my mates were talking about and only very small amounts of background noises. To me I'd rather this then having normal hearing to be honest. Cause if it gets to much we can just turn it of lol.

If you want all the back ground noise to switched of you can have that also.

Hope this helps

• HearPeers Heroes

@Michael Drury

Do you mean you placed the AudioLink in the center of the table facing up?  The new streaming device for Sonnet and Sonnet 2?

sorry for all the questions but you are the first person here with actual Sonnet 2 experience!  Smile

Will you describe what you mean by the Rondo 2 is very sensitive?

Soon I will be upgrading and need to choose between Rondo 2 and Sonnet 2.

I appreciate your help!

@Mary Beth

It's ok with all the questions.

Like I said iv only had the sonnet 2 for 4 days and each days is getting beter and better.

And yes I placed the Audiokey in the middle of the table with the microphone bit facing up and worked great.

And also I did today was drive from Sydney to wollongong and used it and went well. Just not use to not hearing the sounds of my car lol.

@Jewel

All you have to do is talk to your audiologist and explain to them how they do it. If you like I can ask my audiologist and let you no?

I go once a week to see my audiologist for fine tunning so I'm like VIP lol.

@Mary Beth

If it was me I would go with sonnet 2 but that's me.

I do use my rondo 2 a fair bit, but I have problems with the magnet not sticking very well so I'm trying to work out with my surgeon and I think I might be goin into get plastic surgery to thin the skin around were the chip is

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

The AudioLink can act like a remote mic on a table.  We can control the mix ratio of sound through AudioLink versus sound through Sonnet/Sonnet 2 mics.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Michael Drury

People are saying that the Sonnet 2 does a great job in noise.

I am glad you are doing so well on your CI journey.  Sometimes these bionic ears give us advantages over acoustic ears!  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

So you adjust the mix ratio of the AudioLink using AudioKey? 

I am waiting to hear reviews of persons who have Roger Select and AudioLink as I can only afford to buy one. 

Sonnet2, AudioLink, etc sound exciting! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I do not know all of the AudioKey app features because I have not seen an AudioKey guide and the app is not yet available in the US.

I read the AudioLink guide and it has a mix ratio.  Med-El moderator said somewhere here that we can adjust the mix ratios.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Roger Select with Sonnet Roger 21 receiver built into the battery door has a 50/50 mix ratio.

Roger Select with Roger MyLink neckloop receiver offers more mixing ratios by adjusting the volume control on the Roger MyLink and also by going to T.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

So AudioLink provides more flexibility in terms of mixing ratios? I don't intend to buy MyLink so I am comparing Roger 21/Select with Sonnet1/AudioLink.