Andy Mason - My CI Journey

masona

As promised I'm writing my CI journey blog on here bearing in mind my CI experiences is coming from me as we are all made difference and the way our brain works so what works for me is not necessary the same for you!

This is right at the beginning, I went in for the cochlear implant device operation on the 27th August 2012 at Spires Lea Cambridge which is a private Hospital funded by the NHS Addenbrookes in Cambridge.

Was told could be 3-5 hours operation, I went in at 9:55am and was back in the recovery room at 11:45am, just under 2 hrs! the consultants Dr Donnelly was very pleased with the whole successful operation and they didn't even have to shaved any of  my hair which I did asked them if they could try. The Hospital and my family was very surprised how quickly I've recovered! I went back to the Holiday Inn Hotel as the Hospital is just round the corner as I didn't want to go for an 1 1/2  drive home and being near the Hospital if any problem would be a bonus. They put it down to very good blood pressure, eating healthy (yuk! why does junk foods tastes better? lol! I do have junk food as a special treat about once a week) and going to the gym weightlifting 5 times per week. I'm going to be very honest, I just have a slight soreness where they made incision cut behind the ears and that is all, I was told I could have these side effects but I have no dizzy spell, no tinnitus ( I used to get bad tinnitus for 3yrs but overcome it now), no numb feeling, no real bad foods taste but just a slightly difference taste but not bothersome.Smile

I even went to the Wetherspoon pub in Cambridge on the evening of the operation and I felt okay! Went to bed 11:30 pm but woke up 3ish with broken sleep until 7:30, I have found lying down in bed increase the pain slightly and I know it's not my own bedroom, might try and sleep standing up in my wardrobe tonight lol!

Now just waiting for my follow-up appointment and the switch on date, In some way I looking forward to the switch on but keeping my expectations low as advise by others CI users, will let you know the outcome.

Wow that's great I'm pleased it all went so well and what a great recovery I was told it was a overnight operation.so was planning to go home next day but will have to see now,I must admit I have never set foot in a gym in my life but otherwise in good health I hope I recover as quick

I look forward to reading your progress as you continue ,I hope my tinnitus improves as well

Best wishes for the future and will post back a

Soon.

Oh just one thing. Don't recommend standing up while sleeping hehe try extra pillows

Depending on the time of the surgery, most of them do get sent home the same day providing you're okay etc, as for tinnitus I was told the implant will be a great improvement for tinnitus, however it's common to have a temporary tinnitus after the surgery for 2/3 days due to the fact when they enter the electrode arrays wire into the cochlear and sometime the fluid leaks out but the fluid does fill up again which is the balance and tinnitus problem

I am due in at 12.30 so don't know when my surgery is for we have two plans in place one for going home that afternoon / evening and one for staying overnight

I was also told the implant should help my tinnitus but did nt expect it to be that quick but we will have to see,I seem to e getting more nervous as it gets nearer hehe

Gonna have to try and keep busy

hello andrew ,congratulation on your success surgery .After i had operation i was looking forward to switch on and is was strange feeling .So last week i just had switch on .Some WOW sound i have never heard in my whole life is was unbelievable and i was so overwhelming & happy.You will have exciting time ahead ;) .I not getting carry away telling you more so you will find out yourself the better :)

Let us know how you get switch on

p.s  get video camera to recored yourself and family to see .It is very emotional for our family anyway good luck for switch on

Thanks Steve, just one question, during the first week of hearing with the CI, could you carry on with your normal everyday life or take a step back for the time being? The reason I'm asking, I'm playing indoors bowls early October with people around me, as a guess, would it be too much for me to cope with the CI to start with because I can avoid playing the first month in October just to get used to the CI journey. if you're not sure don't worry!

Thanks Steve, just one question, during the first week of hearing with the CI, could you carry on with your normal everyday life or take a step back for the time being? The reason I'm asking, I'm playing indoors bowls early October with people around me, as a guess, would it be too much for me to cope with the CI to start with because I can avoid playing the first month in October just to get used to the CI journey. if you're not sure don't worry!

Hello andrew ,could i carry on ci on normal days basic oh yeah i am and enjoying a bit .If is too much for you take speech processor off give yourself a break or turn volume down as i have . Well i have worn HA for nearly 30yrs and i don't bother if people are looking at me .It is will build your confidence up by wearing CI day by day

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Andrew,

the week I was switched on I was at a five day conference - left the first day for an afternoon appointment at SCIC then back into it on Tuesday. The sound was very strange and I missed a lot of what was being said.

So I reckon your bowls will be OK, just be prepared to be a bit tired and dazed from all the amazing new noises.

Well done on getting to the pub after surgery - are you part Australian?  Laughing

Matt

Thanks lads!

An update, my next appointment for the 2 week post op check and x-ray on the 11th September

Best of luck for your follow up we had to move mine to the 29 th everyone's on hols hehe so

No one to look after kids do you get your switch on date then or does that come later,

Got an email yesterday regarding more appointments,

1st October Programming 9:30 and 10:30 for Equipment briefing

2nd October Programming 1pm and 2pm for Equipment briefing

11th October Week 1 rehab

Wow that's fast bet your excited

About the switch on ,they run it over two days now I think that works better

Can't wait for the update good luck

Back from Addenbrooke's Hospital yesterday from the 2 weeks surgery check op, so far, so good, according to the x-ray the good news is that the electrode arrays is 100% all the way in the cochlear so all the channels for mapping will be available depending what I can hear on 1st October for the switch on.

That's great news glad to hear it all went well, and that the

Electrodes are as far in as they can get,

Fingers crossed for the 1st for you post and let us know how you

Get on.

Back from Addenbrooke's Hospital yesterday from the 2 weeks surgery check op, so far, so good, according to the x-ray the good news is that the electrode arrays is 100% all the way in the cochlear so all the channels for mapping will be available depending what I can hear on 1st October for the switch on.

hello andrew that is fantastic news and all the best for switch on.You will have a exciting times ahead ;)

Thanks everyone!

Latest - now got an infection from the surgery, now on tablets! Hopefully it'll be okay before the switch on!

Yes I'm allergic to penicillin, my consultant want to see me on Tuesday to investigate, the surgical wound looks okay and not heard of Metronidazole tablets.

Sry to hear about your infection I have nt been on line so having to catch up with everything

I hope it clears up in time for your activation,my x ray etc is tomorrow will post and update

Afterwards ,life's hectic at the moment and I'm getting over excited about my activation and yours is

9 days before mine.

Thanks Karen, after speaking to some CI users they are quoting keeping an low expection be pragmatic and don't expect too much is the best way to go, over the period of time things will start to make sense.

The latest news,

I'm confused, no pain since from my surgery from 27th August and 3 weeks after I'm now getting pain so as a precaution since last Wednesday spent 2 days in hospital for antibiotics treatment and according to my blood tests there's no infection and the consultant are thinking it's maybe to do with the swelling have gone down to normal therefore my face has tighten up as there're thousands of facials nerves around the area. On that note sadly all my 11 appointments this year including the 1st October appointment for the switch on was on 1st October has now been cancelled until further noticed. I'm seeing the consultant for the follow up appointment on 2nd October Tuesday. Is this unheard of?

I'm going to have to stop using my iPad as it's not functioning correctly with the edit and quote post etc, I have to re-write this reply 3 times because when I wanted to edited my post the whole lot deleted!

However I wanted to say, from all the tests result, I'm very healthy therefore the consultants are finding it hard to understand what is happening.

Next update will be on Tuesday.

Sorry to hear your still in pain and your appointments have been cancelled

Hopefully they will find out what's wrong quickly the good news is there is no infection so this

Will hopefully clear up and you will be back on track.

I know the edit thing on the ipad is a pain the edit bit doesn't work so you either

Have to retype the whole thing or leave it as it is

Keep us updated as to how it is going.

Karen

According to my blood tests, there is no infection in the 1st place so they are guessing maybe if they were any swelling even though wasn't noticeable since from the surgery and not even any allergic reaction from the implant and that's the only explanation they can come up with at the moment. At the moment behind the implant is feeling hot even though my temperature is normal, now and again I get a slight throbbing pain near the ear drum so the pain is intermittent in difference location! Will let you know the outcome on Tuesday, maybe I need more time to recover? 5 weeks so far.