Andy Mason - My CI Journey

masona

Thanks Karen, if the consultants is happy with the outcome on Tuesday they did say they might be able to still switch me on even though I don't feel like it at the moment!

I would ask them to wait till your recovered because the last thing you need when

Trying to get used to new sounds is pain in the same area!

And having to take the processor off all the time , it may be you need time to recover

But don't worry they will sort it out. Quickly I hope

Best of luck for tuesday

That's great maybe it was just a bug and not connected to your operation

Hope you contiue to feel better :) hopefully on Tuesday they will

Give you the all clear to be activated

Sadly the pain is back since Sunday, at 3:30am the pain is around the implant area, hopefully the consultants can tell me what is going today at 11:45am today. Getting fed up now. I'm wondering if I'm suffering from foreign body reaction? Don't think so because the scar skin tissues is healthy. I'm confused!

My consultant is happy how I'm progressing but not happy with the pain I'm getting however will seeing me in 4 weeks follow up appointment. They still think it's early days and I need more time to recover, most likely to be the nerves tissues are still healing. On that note they have decided to switched me on to take my mind of it!

Day 1

Right it's early day and only been hearing the new sounds a few hours to get used to it, I'm not getting any Micky mouse or tinny sounds at the moment, I'm hearing more difference sounds I have never heard before. I'm getting weird look from others when I'm trying to locate where the sounds are coming from, I thought I better get out of the hospital in case they keep me in thinking I'm a nutter needed treatment lol! Female voice are harder to understand at the moment but not impossible, the car journey I can hear the tyres on the road rumbling which I don't like, my wife said she hear it all the time but don't noticed until I pointed it out and was told welcome to the real hearing world!

That's great that they have switched you on ,hehe I bet your gonna get neck strain from looking everywhere

That will take your Mind off it if nothing else,have they done it over two days or just one

And did they run though all the extra equipment you get they told me there was lots of it.

I can't wait to hear about your wow moment and yes the sound of tyres on roads counts as one

You prob did not watch the twitter of a cochular implant surgery yesterday

But they also just used glue to close the wound no stitches

So maybe it's just up to the surgeon.

You prob did not watch the twitter of a cochular implant surgery yesterday

But they also just used glue to close the wound no stitches

So maybe it's just up to the surgeon.

No didn't see it, eventfully I think all surgery incision will be glue in the future.

I thought my Cochlear Implant packed up or battery problem, I was working away at the back of the wardrobe fitting an extra power socket for my CI rechargeable battery charger, my Cochlear Implant was hanging on the metal curtain rail held by the magnet coil and that's why I couldn't hear lol!

Lol bet ypu wondered hat had happened :) I love hearing about funny moments like this

How are you coping with the new sounds.

Not too bad at the moment, another word I coped almost straight away but I haven't got all the sounds yet so it's still early days. Got the remote control for difference volume settings for which I would prefer, all this is just for audiologists information for the next appointment. I can hear my keyboards tapping, I can hear the bicycle wheel or chains rattling passing me, newspaper rattling, also I can my wife mobile phone ringing in another room quite easily, female voice is slightly harder to understand but I haven't got all sounds yet

Wow that's great all thoses sounds already ,I can't wait to see if I can hear my keyboard

I play Warcraft so hearing that and typing will be fun

Keep us updated

• HearPeers Heroes

I thought my Cochlear Implant packed up or battery problem, I was working away at the back of the wardrobe fitting an extra power socket for my CI rechargeable battery charger, my Cochlear Implant was hanging on the metal curtain rail held by the magnet coil and that's why I couldn't hear lol!

Mine got stuck on the electricity meter box - though I was the only clumsy one.

Embarassed

Can anyone tell me what they do on the 2nd mapping session, is it more sounds band width or louder etc. At the moment I finding there's too much shhh sounds mostly on televison if volume turned up but okay when the volume is lower, I now it's early days but just wonder what they do on the 2nd mapping

• HearPeers Heroes

Can anyone tell me what they do on the 2nd mapping session, is it more sounds band width or louder etc. At the moment I finding there's too much shhh sounds mostly on televison if volume turned up but okay when the volume is lower, I now it's early days but just wonder what they do on the 2nd mapping

They just tweak and refine your mapping and maybe give you some more volume. Your audi will want to know how it's been and what has been good or not so good for you.

Your "shhh" sounds might be more to do with the overstimulation you are experiencing. I know the first couple of months were pretty challenging from a "oh my god what have I done" perspective personally.

Thanks Matt,

The only sounds I'm not keen on is the car journey, not the engine, the road tyres I think I'm hearing, it's quite loud like a TV without the aerials! Only does it when the car is moving, is this normal or how is it for you in the car?