Your thoughts on direct from phones to processor streaming

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I find myself wondering if direct from phones (iPhones and Android) to processor streaming for all audio will end up being a good thing for me.  The thing is, I really like the idea of direct from all phones to all processors streaming.  But I keep reading about problems users of various CI and HA brands with that feature experience.  Especially every time our phones’ operating systems get updated.

Phonak Marvel HA users are stuck now.

Other CI brand users are stuck with the iOS 13 and their CI app not working.

It keeps happening to all different brands when the operating systems on our devices change and the functionality impacts our streaming.

So I find myself both wanting, really wanting, direct streaming from all phones for all audio to all processors and also feeling apprehensive about the problems that will cause during the times the updates mess up our functionality.

Here is a recent post by Phonak which describes the types of problems I have been reading about with other brands as well.  It is expected to take at least weeks for it to get fixed.

I live a very simple life with my CI processors.  No changing settings.  Only using tech for streaming.  Very very simple.  I like simple.

What are your thoughts?

DF233C94-FB01-469C-AD11-D57D13EF9061.jpeg

I've not had any problem with my Beltone Boost hearing aid and now they even work with iOS 13.. Compatibility problems may occur when Apple release a new iOS update, it should not be hard to fix as they are software oriented problems. 

As far as I know there are no Made for Android hearing device out there. Android users only have an option to use assistive tech. Here's a full list of made for iPhone hearing devices. It says iPhone, but they can connect to iPad, Apple Watch and even iPod. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210386

Direct streaming is almost an industry standart for hearing aids, so I say why not for cochlear implants?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Evren

I don’t know the details but there is a new direct from Android to hearing aids protocol that is just now being released.

I would like direct from all phones for all audio to all Med-El processors.

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2019 at 4:33 PM, Mary Beth said:

I find myself wondering if direct from phones (iPhones and Android) to processor streaming for all audio will end up being a good thing for me.  The thing is, I really like the idea of direct from all phones to all processors streaming.  But I keep reading about problems users of various CI and HA brands with that feature experience.  Especially every time our phones’ operating systems get updated.

Phonak Marvel HA users are stuck now.

Other CI brand users are stuck with the iOS 13 and their CI app not working.

It keeps happening to all different brands when the operating systems on our devices change and the functionality impacts our streaming.

So I find myself both wanting, really wanting, direct streaming from all phones for all audio to all processors and also feeling apprehensive about the problems that will cause during the times the updates mess up our functionality.

Here is a recent post by Phonak which describes the types of problems I have been reading about with other brands as well.  It is expected to take at least weeks for it to get fixed.

I live a very simple life with my CI processors.  No changing settings.  Only using tech for streaming.  Very very simple.  I like simple.

What are your thoughts?

DF233C94-FB01-469C-AD11-D57D13EF9061.jpeg

This has been a huge consideration for us as we decide between Cochlear and Med El for our son. The world is becoming more and more wireless, and Med El is, for some reason, really behind in this area. Most teens are not going to want neckloops or other obvious and unwieldy accessories to talk on the phone, or stream music, etc. Even with Audiolink, most people won't want to carry that and a phone. I suspect Med El may have a tech problem figuring out how to use bluetooth without running out the battery almost immediately, or else why haven't they done this? I have read lots of comments from Med El users on facebook groups that they are really frustrated and disappointed that Med El isn't advancing in this area. It does worry me.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

Connectivity is very important to everyone.  The teens I work with who use various CI brands often choose to connect to their devices the same way as their friends.....headphones.  Smile

The cool thing about CIs and headphones is that there is no feedback.

The sound quality provided by a high end headphone company will surpass all these various connectivity options.  For sound quality purposes, it probably goes like this....

-direct connect processor to device via audio cable provides the best audio signal

-high end noise cancelling headphones

-other connectivity options including BT neckloops, proprietary intermediary devices, direct connect via BT....(There is a lot of variability in this group both for sound quality and for personal preference.)

In the 5 years I have been implanted a lot has changed regarding connectivity options for all brands.  Each brand is advancing.  Each brand has good connectivity features.  Each brand has problems with their connectivity features.

One thing we can all count on .... the connectivity options will continue to change.  

It is important to select the brand that best fits your life.  The competition between brands is good for all of us.  It pushes each brand to improve.