AudioLink is available in the US

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

The AudioLink is available for purchase in the US Med-El online shop.  If you are a HearPeers US member, check your email for a discount code first.  I received an email today.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, $640.00 for the AudioLink! This ridiculously expensive for a proprietary item even with the $150 coupon.

I'm finding out that the Sonnet is a high maintenance audio processor with costly replacement parts. What were MED-EL engineers thinking?!?!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sid

My favorite streaming tech with Sonnets is the

Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop ($129)

I purchased and have an AudioLink. It is quite nice.. but, I think it'd have more value for me down the road. Particularly when AudioKey app becomes available in the US as I won't have to carry the remote. And again when I go bi-lateral CI since I'll be able to hear in stereo. I've not had that much luck with the A2DP to HSP converter apps out there, so I've used a small 3rd party bluetooth receiver and plugged it into the AudioLink.

I also have the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloops (one at work, one at home). It's quite easy to use and great in areas where there aren't high EM. It's also compatible with my hearing aid so I could listen with both ears if I wanted to. Unfortunately, it's not stereo by design of the neckloop.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

Tell me more about the 3rd party BT receiver you plugged into the AudioLink.  Which receiver?  And how are you using it?

I do not like the A2DP converter apps.  It makes music sound like you are listening through a phone.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

That is a very clever work around.  I have a BT receiver.  I never thought of plugging it into the AudioLink.  That may help in several ways.  

First, it eliminates the need for the A2DP conversion app which degraded the sound quality.

Second, AudioLink really needs to stay so close to my phone to avoid sound/connection issues.  This would let my phone send the sound to the BT receiver which has a much more robust range.

Third, this BT receiver has so many more BT controls for calls and music.

I need to test this out.  And see if it is comfortable to have both clipped on me while cabled together.

89E60539-0CEB-4AAE-8364-B773011B3D4B.jpeg

01908F54-93C6-4762-B052-B5602DF9AF53.jpeg

This is similar to the receiver that I have: https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B01EHSX28M/

1. iPad/iPhone/other Bluetooth transmitter paired/connects to the Bluetooth receiver
  2. Bluetooth receiver is connected to the 2.5mm AudioLink input jack via 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable

It has its own rechargeable battery and is relatively compact.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

Thanks for posting this idea!  I can’t wait to test it out.  I am charging up my BT receiver right now.  It will make me very happy if this work around solves the problems I have with the AudioLink!

Have you plugged the AudioLink dock into your TV and tried that?  On my TV the sound is quite loud that way.  It is inconvenient that the volume control and mixing ratio buttons are on the AudioLink attached to the TV because it means several trips back and forth to adjust those settings so the volume of family members in the room is appropriate too.  What has been your experience?

I haven't tried with a TV, but I have an idea or two that might work for you.

You use something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfRKx-P2kYk  This approach would allow you to control the volume using your iphone from the comfort of your couch/chair without having to go up to the tv and adjust it. But generally, you can go from TV --> TSA1110 --> AudioLink dock. I don't have the TSA1110, so I don't know how well it'd work. But, it seems convenient.

Alternatively, at my computer workstation, I do have several sources of sound that I mix together and listen to one output. I use this: https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Analog/MX400/p/P0390#googtrans(en|en) I can control the volume on each input at a central location without having to fuss at all the different sources (computers, piano keyboard, etc). With this option, be sure to buy the 6.3mm adapters as needed (e.g. 6.3mm to 3.5mm or 2.5mm).

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

You sure do know about tech!

Is it safe to plug the AudioLink dock into that?  Do we have to worry about the 12V instead of 5V?

As much as I would like to figure out ways to make the AudioLink work better for me, I also want great sound quality and no audio delay.

@Joan and I are going to test the Artone TVB soon.

8D057DA2-2EEB-42D7-B776-B345B3C065F1.jpeg

The working voltage is regarding the separate power supply input that goes to the volume control amplifier. This does not directly feed into the audiolink and is not intended to power the AudioLink. The only thing that goes into the AudioLink from that volume control amplifier is the stereo plug.

Mary Beth, the Artone is more intriguing than the AudioLink. What setup do you have with the Artone for television? 

• 1 year later...
On 10/1/2019 at 3:11 PM, Mary Beth said:

The AudioLink is available for purchase in the US Med-El online shop.  If you are a HearPeers US member, check your email for a discount code first.  I received an email today.