Experience upgrading from Rondo to Rondo 2

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Nischal Koirala

I do very well just using the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop.  It does not come in Med-El US kits either.  It costs US $129.  If I was to select the most helpful piece of assistive tech for me, I would choose the Artone neckloop.

Med-El CI processors all have telecoil (OPUS 2, Rondo 1, Sonnet 1, Rondo 2, Sonnet 2).  We can use any neckloop that uses telecoil.

• 7 months later...

@Valentin @Mary Beth @Joan saw your comments on portable charger. 

As  I've only the one Rondo2 to charge up, I'm going to try out my mum's mobile charger it's a digivolt  6500 . We've been having power cuts all morning ( due to a fire getting out of hand down the next village over the weekend). I use the the charger from Med-el in my bedroom. With these power cuts It is a worry. 

My question is , would 6500 be to much? I don't want to blow the Rondo!!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tracey_66

This is not my area of knowledge so I’m sorry but I do not know.

• HearPeers Heroes

USB conector is worldwide universal, and all have 5 volts (V) of output energy , so 6500mA would be the amps of energy (the capacity of the battery,. You say that  it has 6500mA.

Joan said that with 10400mA power bank, he got 4 nights for two Rondos 2. I don't remember if you have one or two Rondo processors, but if you have 2, you will reach around (3 charges 3 days), and if you have only one, you would be about 6 days. Tracey, please take note this is not exactly.

I hope this clear the doubt. 

• 1 month later...

just realised you dont need to turn off your rondo 2 before placing on charger pad 🤭....its been more than one a half year m using Rondo 2 🙄

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan

Didn't you ask Med-El US about whether Rondo 2 needed to be turned off while charging?

@Mary Beth yes I did. I was told that if the Rondo2 was not turned off before being put on the charging pad it would still charge however that was not recommended because it would shorten the overall life of the battery. Med-El recommends the processor always be turned off before charging.

17 hours ago, Joan said:

@Mary Beth yes I did. I was told that if the Rondo2 was not turned off before being put on the charging pad it would still charge however that was not recommended because it would shorten the overall life of the battery. Med-El recommends the processor always be turned off before charging.

Rondo2 went off automatically when i put on the charging pad, had to turn on before using it. So if it was on i would i definitely turn off before placing on charging pad again.

• 3 months later...
On 10/26/2019 at 6:23 AM, Joan said:

@Mary Beth

Yes, five years after becoming a bilateral Rondo user (left side 02/2014; right side 09/2014), I upgraded to Rondo2s , which were activated two days ago 10/23/2019. 

My decision to upgrade to Rondo2 vs Sonnets was an easy one. My clinic is a two-processor clinic. I chose both an Opus2 and a Rondo for each ear and, in addition, was fortunate to be implanted during Med-El’s promotional period that offered a free Rondo with each implant.  That was the best thing that could have happened! Although prior to being implanted, I fully expected to become an Opus2 user. However, from the first time I put on my Rondo, I was hooked! No more BTE hearing aid OR processor! After five very successful years with Rondos, upgrading to Rondo2s was a no-brainer!

While I’m only two days in to my journey with Rondo2s, I am extremely pleased with them. They are lighter than Rondo1s, the sound is clearer, they recharge quickly and easily (and no more disposable batteries 😊), they are off my ear...and they even have mic covers that exactly match my grey hair! 😅

As with anything new, there are differences from my previous Rondos that I’m having to adjust to with my Rondo2s. The microphone seems to be much more sensitive, especially when the processors are touched. I liken it to the sensitivity of the Rondo without a mic cover. While I am hearing clearer and better in conversation and small groups, for some reason my brain is still adjusting to voices on television. That being said, however, that adjustment is already improving.

There is one single issue I have with the Rondo2s. During activation, I wanted to test the t-coil while using my Artone 3 MAX neckloop. When I switched to either MT or T, I heard a ticking, akin to a quick-paced metronome, in both processors, on all programs. Fortunately, a Med-El rep (who’s also an audiologist) happened to be at the clinic that day and had been invited to sit in on my MAPping. Neither she nor my audiologist had ever had such a sound reported by a Rondo2 user. We tried multiple things hoping to eliminate the sound, all to no avail. Contact was made with an audiologist at the NC headquarters. She was just as baffled. She had an employee who wears Rondo2s to test as I was doing and the result was the same. I have been assured the problem will be reported and researched. I can only hope they find a solution soon. I enjoy listening to both audiobooks and music using the t-coil and, at present, the ticking is a distraction that is always apparent to me in both MT and T. I would be interested in knowing if others have experienced the same.

If I have one disappointment with the Rondo2s, it is that they lack Bluetooth connectivity. I understand that is high on the list of possible improvements for the next generation Rondo, but, unfortunately, I will have a long wait for that.

As Mary Beth said, I’m happy (and, yes, even patient!) to answer any questions about my upgrade from Rondo to Rondo2 ...the upgrade process, the processors, etc.

Hi, am Kate, abd pls forget my bad English it is NOT my first language. I am a 4 yrs long one sided RONDO1 wearer-(the other is deaf) and am so  grateful I was implanted. We all wish for the RONDO3 isn't it!:-) BTW is there anybody wearing already one? Just curious.

Now about the  question above, how quick is that tick? Just wondered if it isn't  the sound of a watch sec hand's beat not perceived yet  with the RONDO1-and now  only first heard? I appologiez if  it's that  trivial but sometimes the most common things can occure...Cheers.

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Lyn67!

There are a few Rondo 3 users already.  Med-El released a video of them talking about their Rondo 3 experiences on Med-El ‘s YouTube channel and on Med-El official Facebook page.

I am really looking forward to Rondo 3!

Hi, 

Does anyone know when the Rondo 3 will be available in the United States?  I was told it would be available by the end of this year. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@joanne

That is what Med-El US said.  They will post availability on their official FB page.

Have you already been implanted?  There is a Rondo 3 swap promotion for those in the US who are implanted before its release.

@Mary Beth

No. I had sudden hearing loss in my right ear and am eligible for a cochlear implant. I am waiting to schedule the procedure when the Rondo 3 is available so I can have 2 the same. I get 2 devices with the implant. The swap will only apply to 1 device. Now that it is getting closer to the end of the year I was hoping there might be an update on when it will be available.

• HearPeers Heroes

@joanne

Makes perfect sense.  Hopefully soon!  I am excited for Rondo 3 as well.

• HearPeers Heroes

@joanne

Med-El US announced availability of Rondo 3 for new recipients!  Wishing you the best!

43F7F9C4-3CB0-4514-890D-B33CF4A3EA95.jpeg

how many of you get difficult to understand in noisy environment while they are talking in mask on Rondo 2? For me it's sometime hard to understand what they saying in the mask in the open public place. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

A lot of people are struggling to understand people wearing masks.  Audiologists can create a special mask MAP/program.  The frequencies of speech are impacted differently.  Here is a link to a guide that helps hearing aid audiologists create mask programs.  The same information can be used in our CI MAPping by our audiologists.  I believe a couple of people during our October Virtual Coffee Chat have special MAP programs.  Possibly @Megan L. and @phobos512?  Am I remembering that correctly?