Hi I’m newly implanted 10/15/19.

Anita L

Recuperating has been rough. Finally feeling better. Activation on 11/12. Back to work 11/4 but so tired. Off all meds. 62 and usually really healthy. When will I feel better and when will the metal taste subside ????

Hi Anita, welcome! I was recently implanted, too (2nd October, and activated on the 24th). It takes time to recover, for sure. I had around two weeks off work and went back to work last week. I did try to make some time to take short walks every day, even when I didn’t feel like it. I felt very tired and noticed myself moving much more slowly than usual even after I got back to work. I haven’t gone back to my regular hobbies yet, like exercise classes. I think it would be worth asking your audiologist or clinic about the taste issues. I hope that you feel better very soon - and the very best of luck with your activation!

• HearPeers Heroes

Congratulations @Anita L on your implant!  Which processor did you choose?

The recovery varies greatly.  Listen to your body and hopefully you can ease back into things before too much longer.

The tastes disturbances happen to some people.  Most people report that it resolves itself within the first few months. Your surgeon may be able to give you a better timeline based on your surgery.

Are you in the US?  I go to New York Eye & Ear in NYC (it is 5 hours from my home).

Hi Mary Beth,

Thank you for your kind words. Where do you live? I’m about 25 miles north of NYC but originally from Amsterdam. 

My surgeon is confident it will subside. My audiologist is wonderful and we chose Cochlear America for my processor. Works well with my Resound HA. I have an iPhone and everything should be compatible I hope. 

My activation is Nov 12th. Surgery was the 15th and it’s been rough. I’m feeling better but not quite ready to head back to my role as a bank manager quite yet. Taking the full 3 weeks of approved disability. Haven’t driven yet. Still off balance a bit. Hope to get stronger everyday. 

I’m getting very excited to be activated!!!

Thank you for reaching out! Can you tell me ...do you have sensioneuro as well? Unilateral or bilateral? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Anita L

I had bilateral progressive hearing loss.  Then developed Meniere’s in my right ear and had a surgery to treat that which I knew would result in a completely deaf ear.  Twenty four years later, the hearing in my left ear had progressed to a point where no hearing aid could help.  I was implanted in my right side 4.5 years ago and 8 months after that we implanted my left side.  I have bilateral Med-El CIs.

These CIs are life changing.  Aural rehab helped me a lot!  I will tag you in a topic about my favorite aural rehab activities.

I am sorry you are off balance.  Maybe your surgeon will extend your medical leave until you are feeling better?

I was very fortunate for both surgeries.  I feel very lucky about that and wish everyone’s recoveries were as easy as mine.

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time recovering Anita L. I had my implant done in my right ear 4 years ago, I walked out of surgery care free and had no after affects you are having. I picked the RONDO 1 of course from Med-El (still wearing a hearing aid in my left ear. All I can tell you is to show patience and what the Pro's are telling you is correct. I am 67 and live in Michigan so I am now on my third audiologist since my implant. UM has changed my processors twice and can't wait till I hit 5 years (Medicare Rules) and receive the new RONDO 2 seeing i am still using the number 4 magnet.

The Rehab is so important so listen closely to the Pro's on this site, it will reward you times 100.

Good Luck and please Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

@ept5777

So many people are loving the Rondo 2!  Makes you feel excited for your upgrade date!

Thanks Mary Beth for your wonderful words, you and many others help everyone so much!. I am very excited to have the Rondo 2 less 3 batteries on my head and of course patience has never been one of my habits. 9,500.00 for the Rondo 2 teaches patience automatically for people over 65.

Thanks again, i feel blessed having this wonderful site to come to when I am down.

• HearPeers Heroes

@ept5777

When is your 5 year date?  I think you and I may hit 5 years about the same time perhaps.