OPUS 2 and FM ALDs

coweat2

Does anybody have experience of using the opus2 with FM?

I had a full bilateral HA setup previously, with integrated FM receivers, and found it brilliant, especially when used with the SmartLink transmitter - Mobile phone/Bluetooth, remote mic for meetings and lectures, watching the TV etc, but then my hearing deteriorated to the point where I now have a CI to my right ear, and an Ultra Power HA to my left. I've yet to find out how I'm going to manage...unilateral CI or Bimodal, but just thinking to the future, and coping in my work environment.

Getting the kit is not an issue, just expensive. The Phonak gear I have still works fine, and I could get a reciever to plug direct to my opus2.. BUT like everything, technology advances. Phonak now do a FM system called 'Roger' and it sounds impressive on paper.

I'd like to hear any thoughts or experiences on the subject.

thanks

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike,

Just got it for my daughter (Roger Inspiro FM transmitter + Roger X FM receiver + Medel Opus 2 FM cover) - not tried it on her yet (tomorrow).

1) Setup was easy - but failed, I found you need to download the phonak updater software from phonakpro website and allow it to update the Inspiro and X before the stream audio to each other.  Then it was easy.

2) The Opus 2 with FM cover plus the Roger X attached is very long - 7.5cm from top of the Opus 2 to the bottom of the Roger X, 6cm from the top of the battery cover curve to the bottom of the Roger X.

3) The Inspiro lanyard seems most convenient although swings around a bit

The Inspiro belt clip works solidly although the microphone cable is then only just long enough to reach the middle of my T-shirt collar to attach (6ft1")

No idea on battery life, performance etc yet - will test with my daughter (3yo) tomorrow at gymnastics class to see how she reacts (I don't expect very clear feedback other than potentially complaints if the Opus 2 becomes too large / heavy or if the microphone sound it too dominant (I think it's a 50/50 mix with the Opus 2 normal microphone as a default but I'm guessing...

Let me know if you want to know anything specific, afraid as it's only my young daughter receiving the input feedback will be a little.... vague :)

We've also got the Rondo (got it for free) if you're interested in perceptions re: that (it's popular with my daughter!... gives me heart attacks as it falls off).

oh, we've also got the Phonak compilot + remotemic too (also free) if you're interested in any feedback on those.

Michael and Michael, a few thoughts.  Rather than getting the Roger system, are you able to consider the Quattro 4.0 by ClearSound? I wear bilateral OPII and RONDII, depending on the activity and find the Quattro works extremely well. It also has a detachable Bluetooth microphone which can be used when in meetings, family dinners, etc.  I have participated in a research study with the OPII and the FM boots and was not particularly impressed with the FM technology.  The RONDO requires the use of the mini battery pack in order to use an FM boot.

Keeping the RONDO on one's head. Three thoughts here: the MedEl sports headband would be option 1. Option 2 is the RONDO cover from www.gearsforears.com. they are a Canadian firm and I was part of their beta testing for the RONDO covers and recently received what apprears to be a production version. It may not be on the website but you can always email them. Option #3, replace the tether with a longer length of stronger fishing line and attach it to a small safety pin.  I always wear my RONDII with the silicon rubber baby buggy bumpers as the RONDII do like to run away from their assigned position on my head.

It is great to see good ALD questions and hopefully we will get more from the two of you.

• 8 months later...

I have been wearing the Rondo for over one year and am very active, including sailboat racing and motorcycle riding.  Initially I attached the leash to my eyeglasses/sunglasses  "strap" which works fine.  But just had cataract surgery including lens replacement, so no more glasses.  I am considering having a ring inserted in my upper ear rim and will  attach the leash to that.

Has anyone used a direct connection between the Opus 2 standard processor w. FM battery cover and one or two "shotgun" mics?  I hope to build a setup of this sort for improving hearing and especially fidelity at outdoor music concerts,  and in noisy (e.g. restaurant) situations.  The main issue in constructing this concerns what sort of amplifier/batteryy pack to use between the microphone(s) and the audio input on the OPUS 2.

Any suggestions or relevant experience?  Anyone happen to know the pin assignments and input/output specs for the audio (3 pin ) jack on the OPUS 2  FM cover?

BTW the prices of the FM systems ( Phonak, Comfort Audio etc are ridiculous) so not even tempted to buy one of those.

Will appreciate any and all suggestions and advice.

Larry Jones

Hi all,

I was messaged today by someone who saw our posts and wanted feedback re: our experiences using the FM I mentioned above. Here is my reply in case it is of any use to anyone:

Re: Your experience: Phonak wireless interface with Med El

Hi ,

In general my answer is that

1) it worked fine

But

2) having to wear a lanyard and CommPilot unit around her neck just didn't work at all for a 3/4 year old - she hated it.

We've now obtained a phonak Roger digital FM microphone / transmitted plus roger X fm receiver (a tiny Gray cube with 3 little male jacks which plugs directly into my daughter's MedEl Opus 2 SP. The microphone is used by her teachers in lanyard or belt clip and the receiver just becomes part of her CI and she isn't aware of it. Worked so well we have now bought the product that would interest you - the Phonak Roger Pen. This is another microphone that digital FM streams to a Phonak Roger 'X' receiver that is far more flexible with the following functionality:

1) hang on lanyard around 3rd party's neck as traditional mic for hearing a person present

2) place it flat (ie on a table) and it's microphones go into a middle of table listen to all parties at the table mode to capture small group conversations

3) hold it in your hand and point it at a speaker and it captures their speech and dampens out side noise

4) plug it into your iPad/tv/audio device and it streams the audio to you

5) it can Bluetooth pair to your smart phone (ie: wireless from phone to Pen, then wireless again from Pen to ear) allowing you to hear calls and use it as a hands free phone mic. I believe it's buttons then allow you to pick up and hang up call too although we haven't tried this functionality. The Phonak Roger Pen (microphone plus wireless digital FM transmitter) plus Roger X (FM receiver for attachment direct to Your CI SP or heating aid) is brilliant - very impressed and well worth the money, Hope this helps - I sound like a salesman! :)

Michael

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I can see how the lanyard could be a problem for such a small child. Great info Michael. Thanks for your post, as this will help many in the same situation

Adam

• 11 months later...

Hello all,

very informative and helpful! Thank you all posters!

Still i wonder , some retailers offer USD50 for Roger x mini receiver some as much as USD600. (Roger CLIP ON MIC i even found for USD100!)

Why there is much gap in cost? So, it means it could be different manufacture with third class quality? how to distinguish original from "chinese", any clues?

thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm not sure I'm new. But Ivana or Mary Beth (who is away on vacation at the moment) would know more about it. We will see if they chime in soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

If you want to be certain and receive the warranty, you can purchase it directly through Phonak or through your audiologist.

• HearPeers Heroes

And even the price is important (for whom it is not today, ahhh...) perhaps the best option would be over the network with kind of insurance like E-Bay. 

i got offer from E-BAY for roger x for USD50  -) 

How is it possible to buy directly from Phonak, any link available i wonder? normally they sell through some retailers i believe. 

Would appreciate if anyone drop me the link on trustworthy retailers in US if possible.

thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm sorry but my only experience is with school system buying directly through Phonak and individuals buying through their audiologists.

• HearPeers Heroes

E-Bay has network security - you can read there regulations, especially if you pay over the PayPal account.

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

I used the hair clip that came with my Rondo, but my short hair makes it less than desirable. I heard through HearPeers that there is a company called TheHearClip.com that offers ear clips for the Rondo, and other CIs, HAs and such.

I found this to be a great solution and highly recommend it.