Distortion after activation of more frequencies

SWS0107

I recently got activated with my first implant rondo 2. While the speech was definitely much thinner but clearer after my first mapping, it became quite natural in the second mapping. However, within few days the speech is becoming more and more distorted. It feels like the frequencies are overlapping with each other and I'm unable to make out speech without lipreading.

Did anybody experience that? Any suggestions?

• HearPeers Heroes

@SWS0107

Congratulations on your activation!

In the early weeks a lot of strange things can happen that are all normal.  If you have any concerns, you may want to reach out to your audiologist.  Are you scheduled for another appointment soon?

Wishing you the best!

On 12/4/2019 at 4:47 PM, Mary Beth said:

@SWS0107

Congratulations on your activation!

In the early weeks a lot of strange things can happen that are all normal.  If you have any concerns, you may want to reach out to your audiologist.  Are you scheduled for another appointment soon?

Wishing you the best!

Yes i have my forth appointment soon. I just realized that as more points were activated, the clarity in the sound reduced. I believe there is some interference happening, but I'm not able to explain it exactly. I was wondering if anybody faced similar problems during the initial days.

• HearPeers Heroes

@SWS0107

For most people, all frequencies are activated at the initial activation.  These frequencies (for me it is 100-8500 Hz) are separated into ranges controlled by specific electrodes on our electrode array.

In my journey, the various frequency ranges did not all settle in at the same time.  At one point, I was highly aware of high frequency sounds until they settled in.  At another time I was highly aware of low frequency sounds until they settled in. It takes our brains awhile to adjust to receiving input on all these frequencies which we may not have been hearing for a very long time.

I kept a listening journal and shared important info from the journal during my MAPping appointments.

Sometimes a new MAP during the early weeks would set me back for a bit.  And then it would advance me further than I had ever been.

I trained with aural rehab activities every day.  I could tell through the training whether things were improving or if the MAP needed adjustments.