1st time flying since implant

Dorothy

I will be flying for the 1st time since my implant, and would love some input from you.  I worry about going through the screening process (a few years ago both of my hearing aids were damaged when I had to pass through the medal detector.)  Would I be better off wearing my Rondo 2 and placing it in a zip lock bag to be hand carried through security, or wearing my sonnet and doing the same?  Should my batteries, dryer and air charger be in my carry on or placed in my checked baggage?  I don't mean to sound paranoid, just don't want to have anything damaged.  Thanks for your thoughts on this matter!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dorothy

I have flown numerous times with my implants.  It is easy.

I wear my processor just like normal on M setting.  Rondo or Sonnet is fine.  I go through the scanners just like everyone else.  I have never had a problem.

All of my CI items (dry kits, charger, back up supplies, batteries.....) are in my backpack which goes through the scanner.    Never had a problem.

I never pack any CI items in checked luggage nor in a carry on bag that may be gate checked.  All of my CI items stay with me in my backpack.

Enjoy your trip!

Hey Dorothy, 

This is a late response but I never have any issues traveling with my processors! I have bilateral Sonnets and never have gotten stopped or asked about my processors. The one time I happened to get a pat down in security, I just told the person I have bilateral CIs and she said that's no problem at all and she then didn't do a pat down. Hope this helps! You have nothing to worry about when traveling. I actually flew just 3 days after I got the surgery I had to fly bac home since I got implanted at Johns Hopkins and live in Ohio. 

Thank you, Morgan, I appreciate you taking the time to set my mind at ease!

I recently flown over the holidays, there were no problems. I do the same thing that @Mary Beth does (CI on head, in M, CI accessories in carry-on). Had no problems with my CI. The TSA was more interested in my box of cookies than my CI.

Thanks, Watersail, I truly appreciate that you took the time to help!  Maybe I should take some cookies along, too!