Warranty period on upgrade kits in US change

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I have mentioned that Med-El had a 5 year warranty on upgrade kits in the US.  That has changed.

Now upgrade kits are under a 3 year warranty.

This is in line with the other brands in the US.

@Melissa

That doesn’t make any sense. The upgraded processor is still brand a new processor just like if an individual was receiving it as their original processor. To change the warranty just because we already have a different processor doesn’t seem right in my opinion. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Percy

I do not know why the warranty on upgrade kits changed.  It is my upgrade year, so I reached out to my CSR and asked questions about upgrade kits and warranties.  I have an awesome CSR, and he sent me attachments to read.  I noticed this change in warranty.  Since I have mentioned on HearPeers that Med-El was the only brand in the US to offer a 5 year warranty on upgrade processors, I wanted to let members know about the change.

It seems that all 3 brands now have similar warranties in the US.

Cochlear has a 5 year warranty (talked to rep) and so does Med El for new patients according to customer service person.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes processor kits connected to surgeries are 5 years.

Until this month Med-El future upgrade kits  were also 5 years.  That is what has changed to 3 years.

Both other US brands offer 3 years for upgrade kits at this time too.

Believe it or not, having a superior warranty was one of the reasons some of us picked for going with Med El.  Just the other day I read something on this site about Med El having a better warranty, and commented to my wife that that was one reason I picked Med El.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marv

I liked the idea of another 5 year warranty on upgrade kits.  But I did not know about that when I selected Med-El.  I naively assumed all 3 brands offered similar warranties.

During my decision making time, I knew about the 10 year warranty on the internal and about the 5 year warranty on the processor kit I received at activation.

After already having Med-El CIs, I learned that the other 2 FDA brands had 3 year warranties on upgrade kits.  I found out because students needed replacements and their CI processors were already out of warranty so it was complicated to get their processors fixed under their insurances.  I asked my CSR and learned that (at that time) Med-El had 5 year warranties on upgrade kits.  I felt lucky.

This is my upgrade year and as it turns out, Med-El US just changed the warranty on upgrade kits to 3 years.

I have learned that activation kits and upgrade kits change quite frequently.

• 1 month later...

Bummer on upgrade kits changing from 5 to 3 year warranty!  If I recall the insurance they sell is very pricey.  Feel like they kind of have you over a barrel.  Since the CI is critical for us to hear, it would be scary to not have it under warranty.  I know the other CI companies are 3 year warranty, but that was another reason to feel good about Med El.  On another note, for most health insurance, is it 5 years to qualify for a processor upgrade?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Travel

Our health insurance may cover repairs after the warranty expires.  Fingers crossed.

Insurance companies vary in approving new processors.  I will learn how my insurance handles this very soon.

Keep us updated if your insurance upgrades your processor at the 5 yr mark.  Next year will be my 5th year.  Can't believe it's been that long already!  So thankful for my hearing with my Cochlear Implant.  Truly a miracle!!  My employer's insurance is a high deductible plan.  In a few months I will need to make a decision on how much money to have deducted for my next year FSA.   Knowing if my insurance will cover a processor upgrade next year would help me in determining my FSA deduction.... But sometimes it's best to not poke the bear in advance!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Travel

I will let you know how my insurance handles the new processors.  I am still undecided between Rondo 2 and Sonnet 2.  Still learning from other users.

If I do choose Sonnet 2, I will not process the insurance claim until ASM 3 is active in the US.  

• 1 month later...

Mary Beth—Went with Sonnet 2’s EAS hoping for better hearing in noise.  My Opuses and Rondo 1’s were 6 and 7 years out before I could get insurance approval!  Just noticed the change in the warranty. . Disappointing to say the least. Please clarify/explain  your statement about not filing your insurance claim until ASM 3 available in the US. Thanks.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Anne WGC

Congratulations on your upgrade!  How do you find the Sonnet 2 compared to your OPUS2/RONDO1 processors?

My comment is just my thoughts about what works best for me.  I did not like the adjustment from using Sonnet 1 in ASM 1 to using Sonnet 1 in ASM 2.  I had to get used to the Sonnet all over again.  Two adjustments just because ASM 2 was not released in the US when Med-El released the Sonnet 1 here although the Sonnet 1 was released in Europe with ASM 2 active. I had no choice about this because that was the timing of my surgery and activation but I promised myself never to choose to upgrade to a processor in the future until the features that go with the new processor are also available in the US, like in Europe.  Right now Sonnet 2 with ASM 3 is released in Europe.  Sonnet 2 is still using ASM 2 in the US.  So it is just my personal preference to reduce the number of adjustments required when upgrading processors.  If I can wait until features are all approved in the US before upgrading, I will opt to do that.

I understand! Hope I don’t have that much of an adjustment from ASM 2 to 3. Who knows? I just got my new equipment and some new mapping. Was to go back in three weeks for more tweaking and the pandemic struck.  Can’t see much of a difference as to hearing in noise etc. at this point but was warned that with EAS (new to me) improvement could take a while. Need to work with Audi more. She is new to me but very experienced. I met you some years ago at an assistive listening session with Jeff Campanya (sp?) in Raleigh.  Your experience and willingness to share have helped me often! When I see your name I pay attention! Thank you!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Anne WGC

I loved Jeff Campagna’s hands on hearing workshops!  I wish Med-El US would bring them back!

Sorry I didn’t recognize your name.