Experience going from Opus 2 to Sonnet 2

Roy K.

• HearPeers Heroes

Me too!

Please state the country you are in and whether your Sonnet 2 is using the new ASM 3 adaptive intelligence features.

(ASM 3 is not yet available in Sonnet 2 processors in the US.  Sonnet 2 processors in the US are still using ASM 2.)

• 3 months later...

US. Understand I will receive ASM 2 to start. 

Particularly interested in challenges and suggestions regarding adapting to Sonnet 2 from Opus 2 and Sonnet 2 settings I should discuss with my audio at the upgrade appointment.  Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

Exciting.

The settings in the US for Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2 are the same at the moment since Sonnet 2 is using ASM 2 in the US.  So you can definitely read the posts here on Sonnet 1 mic settings.  We discussed it a lot and shared our experiences.

Med-El recommends that you start off in the Natural mic setting.  I found Natural too restrictive since I was used to much more access to sounds from all directions using Omni mic setting in my OPUS2 (OPUS2 only uses Omni mic setting).

So I encourage you to get a program using Natural and a program using Omni.  We needed to adjust the Omni MAP. It was way too loud just using the Natural MAP and changing the mic settings.  Others have reported that too. Omni is much better for music for me.

I suggest you get a third program using Adaptive mic setting.  It is great in loud noise as long as you can position yourself so the noise is behind you.

You will have the choice of wind block settings....Off, mild and strong.  Over time I tried all of them and I prefer wind block off.  Wind noise is a problem in the Sonnet design due to mic placement.  OPUS2 does much better in wind due to the protected mic in the hook.

Other than that....Sonnet rechargeable battery life is much shorter than OPUS2 so always have back up rechargeable batteries with you.  If you use disposable batteries, the ones that work best in my Sonnets are Power One Implant.  ZeniPower batteries gave lots of us big problems in Sonnets.  Be sure to change the Sonnet mic covers.  Med-El recommends every 3 months.  I have to change my Sonnet mic covers every 2 months or high frequency speech sounds start to get too quiet.  Sonnets use the DL-coil.  The magnet must be locked into the + or - spot.  If it is not locked in, it may crack your DL-coil cover.

You will have the choice to use the AudioKey app as your remote.

You will have the choice to use the AudioLink intermediary device for streaming. 

We have topics on both here where you will find great info.

Sonnets have a more natural sound quality than my OPUS2.  I hope you love your Sonnet 2 processors.  Let us know.

Are you able to get an appt or is your CI center closed?

Thanks Mary Beth! Very helpful perspective. 

My audio’s office reopens tomorrow. My appointment is Thurs. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

I am glad to hear some CI centers are opening back up in the US.  Which city is your center located in?

My CI center is on NYC so understandably it is still closed for in person appts.

My students use a CI center in Vermont and it is still closed for in person appts too.

Indianapolis. 

Curious about your background as you are so knowledgeable about the technical aspects of the processors and accessories. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

I am a Teacher of the Deaf.  I have been working with students who have cochlear implants for years.  I started losing my hearing at age 13.  I received my CIs in 2015.  Life changing!

I enjoy learning about the tech.

Here is a link to my story if you are interested.

• Like 1