Looking forward to ASM 3 in Sonnet 2!

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

ASM is Automatic Sound Management....it is how our processors treat different sounds.

ASM 1 is used by OPUS2, Rondo 1 and Rondo 2.  The only mic setting is omni.

ASM 2 is used only by Sonnet 1.  Mic settings include omni, natural and adaptive.  There is also a wind block setting.  ASM 2 treats sounds differently based on which direction they come from.

ASM 3 is brand new and only used by Sonnet 2.  It treats sounds differently based on what type of sound it is.  This requires the upgraded chip in the Sonnet 2.  It introduces ambient sound management and transient sound management.  It uses adaptive intelligence to help us hear our best.  (None of these features of Sonnet 2 are available in the US yet.)

• 2 weeks later...

SO exciting! I just got the e-mail with instructions on how to swap my unopened backup Sonnet for the Sonnet 2. I can't wait. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Exciting @Marcy

Hopefully the cool ASM 3 features of Sonnet 2 will become available soon in the US.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marcy

When ASM 3 is FDA approved in the US and then released by Med-El US, our audiologists will update our Sonnet 2 processors with the ASM 3 software at a MAPping appt and set up the ASM 3 programs.  So it is just a software change. The actual Sonnet 2 processors remain the same.  How they treat sounds will then have the ASM 3 options.

• 3 months later...

Any intel on when the ASM3 might be available in the US ? 🙂 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Earshot

I haven’t seen anything yet.  Med-El US will announce it on their official FB page and give an estimated availability date.

In the past....

FDA approval is announced

MED-EL US announces FDA approval and gives an approximate availability date

I have not seen FDA approval yet.

It may take longer than usual to train all our clinical audiologists since many CI centers in the US are not back to running full steam yet.

• 2 months later...

Mary Beth, have you heard any intel regarding the prospects of ASM3 being approved in the US....

Ya know , but for the Covid I'd go the EU and get the upgrade to my Sonnet2 LOL

Just so frustrating that we don't have it...

• HearPeers Heroes

@Earshot

no I have not seen any info on FDA approval for ASM 3.  You can look at the fda website.  Med-El US will announce it on their official FB page when it is FDA approved and in the past they have stated a general availability date (season).