Sign in to follow this  
Mary Beth

Looking forward to ASM 3 in Sonnet 2!

ASM is Automatic Sound Management....it is how our processors treat different sounds.

ASM 1 is used by OPUS2, Rondo 1 and Rondo 2.  The only mic setting is omni.

ASM 2 is used only by Sonnet 1.  Mic settings include omni, natural and adaptive.  There is also a wind block setting.  ASM 2 treats sounds differently based on which direction they come from.

ASM 3 is brand new and only used by Sonnet 2.  It treats sounds differently based on what type of sound it is.  This requires the upgraded chip in the Sonnet 2.  It introduces ambient sound management and transient sound management.  It uses adaptive intelligence to help us hear our best.  (None of these features of Sonnet 2 are available in the US yet.)

SO exciting! I just got the e-mail with instructions on how to swap my unopened backup Sonnet for the Sonnet 2. I can't wait. 

Exciting @Marcy

Hopefully the cool ASM 3 features of Sonnet 2 will become available soon in the US.

Interesting @Mary Beth! How will the Sonnet 2 we get here in the US be eventually able to get the ASM 3 features? Does it require an upgrade?

@Marcy

When ASM 3 is FDA approved in the US and then released by Med-El US, our audiologists will update our Sonnet 2 processors with the ASM 3 software at a MAPping appt and set up the ASM 3 programs.  So it is just a software change. The actual Sonnet 2 processors remain the same.  How they treat sounds will then have the ASM 3 options.

@Mary Beth I see! That's really great to know, thanks! I can be patient. :)