Sonnet 2 EAS

Bindu

Hi all,

My daughter got her Sonnet-2 EAS processor today. Can we use EAS processor without ear molds . Will it cause any distortion/disturbance, If she does not wear ear molds with her Sonnet2 EAS.

Thank you in advance for all the inputs

Hi @Bindu

I have the Sonnet EAS (not the Sonnet-2 EAS), but they might work similarly enough. From my Sonnet EAS perspective: it can be used without ear molds. The "hearing aid" (acoustic) part of it can be disabled and the entire sound spectrum goes to the implant. This is functionally similar to the non-EAS version. Your daughter's CI audiologist can do this if this is something desired for full-time. The distortion/disturbance depends on how the EAS is currently being used and the map changes your daughter's CI audiologist makes.

To better understand the situation and provide a better reply, may I ask why you are interested in not using the EAS part? Is it a full time thing, or part time thing? For instance, I don't use the acoustic component on my Sonnet EAS at all as my residual hearing was not quite strong enough to really gain a lot from using it.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bindu

@Watersail has great points.  The audiologist can create a  program that doesn’t use the acoustic (hearing aid) component. BUT if your daughter is using a program that was created to use the acoustic component of EAS and does not wear the earmold, she is not getting proper sound.

And when EAS is used just like a CI, it is important that the HOOK be switched to a closed CI hook so no moisture enters the processor.

• 3 years later...

I have an EAS model without the ear bud.  I noticed that the ear hook is open at the end and when I touch it, I hear the sound amplified.  Is there an additional microphone at the base of the hook? You mentioned a closed hook. Should I have this changed out to prevent the potential for moisture getting in the processor?  I currently have no residual hearing in that ear so an ear bud would be useless.

• HearPeers Heroes

When using a Sonnet EAS processor without using the acoustic HA component, the earhook should be changed to the closed earhook for Sonnet.  Otherwise moisture can enter the processor through that opening in the hook which is designed to be attached to tubing for the earmold.

IMG_5710.jpeg

• 2 months later...
On 2/14/2024 at 6:05 AM, Mary Beth said:

When using a Sonnet EAS processor without using the acoustic HA component, the earhook should be changed to the closed earhook for Sonnet.  Otherwise moisture can enter the processor through that opening in the hook which is designed to be attached to tubing for the earmold.

IMG_5710.jpeg

Interesting. I got an EAS model on activation day (I guess by mistake because my residual hearing went away after surgery). I noticed because of the green ear hook. I requested a clear hook because I didn’t like the look of the green tip. Did the right thing for my processor by accident!  My Sonnet 2 sounds identical to my Rondo 3 so you can certainly use it without the ear mold like a non-EAS Sonnet 2. 

• Members

@Kilgary I would not say that they ordered the EAS by mistake.  My Audi said that they always order the EAS Sonnet 2 when there is a possibility of residual hearing being retained on the chance that it might be useful since the cost (at least after insurance?) is the same in the US and the EAS works perfectly fine in non-EAS mode.

In my case, I also retained  no useful residual hearing and have never used the EAS functionality of my Sonnet 2 EAS.  I have always had the fully closed clear hook on my Sonnet 2 EAS and never unboxed or tried the green EAS hook.

6 hours ago, Tim said:

@Kilgary I would not say that they ordered the EAS by mistake.  My Audi said that they always order the EAS Sonnet 2 when there is a possibility of residual hearing being retained on the chance that it might be useful since the cost (at least after insurance?) is the same in the US and the EAS works perfectly fine in non-EAS mode.

In my case, I also retained  no useful residual hearing and have never used the EAS functionality of my Sonnet 2 EAS.  I have always had the fully closed clear hook on my Sonnet 2 EAS and never unboxed or tried the green EAS hook.

That makes sense.  My surgeon did say I'd most likely lose my residual hearing - if not from the array insertion from ossification in the weeks after.  She was correct.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Sonnet EAS is able to function as EAS or CI only.

Sonnet is only able to function as CI only.

Some audiologists always order Sonnet EAS if there is any chance at all that residual hearing will be preserved and fall into the EAS parameters.