rehab resources

DncTchr2

Hello Everyone...I hope you are staying well.

I am looking for rehab resources other than Angel Sounds...I am 2 months post activation and am really struggling with the voices on Angel Sounds...my hearing husband does better than I do, but he struggles with it too...for some reason, my hearing seems more distorted these past 2 weeks (last mapping 3 weeks ago)...everything is so loud again...things that I thought I had assimilated to.  With owning my own business and all that is going on, I have dropped the ball a bit and am looking to get back to regular rehab. I am part of a study group that uses Angel Sounds to test progress, but I really struggle. When I go to the audiologist, she uses a different program to test word recognition and I do much better with that...I am listening to TED talks, tracking books, etc.  Music is still pretty bad...I know I need to be patient and that it is going to continue to take time...I am grateful for any suggestions...take very good care! ❤️ 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

Did I email you the documents on aural rehab?  If not, let me know.

Are you using the computer based AngelSounds or the app?

It is best to do aural rehab with various types of voices.  And some activities with live voices versus apps/computer programs/recorded audiobooks.  Mixing it up is good.

Hello Mary Beth...thanks, again for your time and response. 

I am using my laptop most of the time...I am usually 80% and higher when I look at the words and replay them...a lot...I try not to look at the words, but cannot repeat them back most of the time. Struggling most with the ones where you type the word in after it was said...the music lessons make me crazy...I cannot tell any difference at all for the scale exercises...I continue to listen to familiar music...so far, James Taylor's voice sounds exactly as I remember it...still struggling with the music and most other voices...

May I ask, with live voices, what are the best activities?  I used the picture sheets with words that you sent and that was fairly simple...got to the point where I was getting them all correct...I am doing well with one on one conversations for the most part...

Thank you again...<3 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

Unless you have to do the music activities in AngelSounds as part of the study you are in, I highly recommend that you put that off for some time.

Music is its own journey and for me that didn’t even start to take good shape until 3-4 months and by then speech was sounding excellent.

So wait on those music activities if you can.

Remember REPEATED SUCCESS is how we train our brains.  If a task is too difficult at the moment, step back and work on a slightly easier task and build up to it again.

SUCCESS....yes!

FRUSTRATION.....stop!  Take a step back and work on an easier task longer.

Let’s see.....

1). Have your husband read a short phrase to you (do not look at him) and repeat it back.  If that is too difficult at the moment, make a list of short phrases and have your husband read one of them to you (no looking) and repeat it back.

2).  Slowly increase the distance between you and your husband (no looking).

3).  Slowly increase the length of phrase (no looking).  Start this one close together first.

4).  Listen to a short audio clip from a book.  Listen only.  Rewind listen and read along to the same section.  Rewind listen only again.  Slowly increase the length.

5). Have your husband say one syllable words to you ( no looking).  Repeat them back.  This is difficult.  If it is too difficult right now, make a list of one syllable words and do the activity with only those words (no looking).

Thanks so very much for these great suggestions...I feel like something has changed over the past 2 weeks with my hearing...cannot pinpoint it...last appt with research dr he said my hearing seemed to have gotten worse & he questioned my mapping...with all that is going on, I think I just panicked a bit...thanks for the suggestions and for the reminders...I will keep at it and listen to music at my own pace...

So so grateful for your time...take very good care! ❤️ 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

I had a thought.  Are you using Sonnet 1 or Sonnet 2 processors?

These things help me to keep my Sonnet processors sounding the same. (My OPUS2 and Rondo processors just always sound the same but sometimes my Sonnet processors sound “off”.)

-use the dry kit every night

-disconnect the coil cable from the coil and from the Sonnet and reconnect (Med-El has videos on this)

-disconnect the battery pack or the rechargeable battery adapter and reconnect (Med-El has videos on this)

-change the mic cover at 2 months instead of the recommended 3 months (Med-El has videos on this)

Med-El videos can be found on their website under SUPPORT and also on their YouTube channel.

I hope things sound better for you soon.

Thank you again!  I still need to replace my rondo 2 that I lost a month ago, so yes, I am using sonnet 2s...I use the drier every night.

I will keep disconnecting the rechargeable battery connector...I actually have trouble with the rechargeable batteries shorting or coming loose/not staying connected, but it is not too bad.  

He he...guess I should learn what the mic cover is.

Worked today with my husband...words ending in "n" definitely sound like "d."  Working on that.  In a much better place...I think the stress of what to do with my business has replaced this stress...thanks for putting it all in perspective for me Mary Beth...

Stay well!

Much gratitude,

Kerrie 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

If you reach out to Med-El directly, they will help you with your loss claim on your Rondo 2.  We have one time loss coverage.

If I can be of any help, let me know.

The Sonnet 2 rechargeable batteries should snap into place and not be loose.  You can contact Med-El in house audiology for support.  By any chance do you also have the battery pack that uses Power One implant zinc air batteries?  If so, switch to it until your rechargeable battery issue is fixed.  Loose battery connection may  impact sound quality.