New to HearPeers Forum, & from Ohio!

Lucio Lombardo III

Hello all!

I had no idea that there was a community for active Med-El users until I ordered the AudioKey/AudioLink recently. 

I was born profoundly deaf in both ears with sensorineural hearing loss. My parents and relatives did not know that I had any sort of hearing loss until the age of three. (They thought I had a speech impediment issue and could be fixed with speech therapy.) A year later, I was given hearing aids in both ears and it did not do much for me. I needed a device that's more powerful and that did not just amplify sound. My parents battled for a few years on whether or not the cochlear implant was necessary for me and worth it because of (surgery complications and other risk factors). I was seven years old when I became a Med-El cochlear implant recipient. I am very grateful with the success I have achieved with my Med-El implant.

I currently wear the Med-El Sonnet on my right ear. 

I am looking forward to asking questions along with getting to know some of you within the HearPeers community! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Lucio Lombardo III

Welcome to HearPeers!

Which part of the US are you from?  I am in the northeast corner of New York.

I am from Columbus, Ohio! I used to attend college in upstate New York!

2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Lucio Lombardo III

Which college?

I used to teach at SUNY Plattsburgh 

Rochester Institute of Technology/National Institute for the Deaf 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lucio Lombardo III

Great school!

Which processors have you used since you were implanted?  Do you still have your original internal implant?

I have been bilaterally implanted for 5 years.  I have OPUS2, Rondo 1 and Sonnet 1 processors.

On 4/14/2020 at 6:00 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Lucio Lombardo III

Great school!

Which processors have you used since you were implanted?  Do you still have your original internal implant?

I have been bilaterally implanted for 5 years.  I have OPUS2, Rondo 1 and Sonnet 1 processors.

On 4/14/2020 at 6:00 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Lucio Lombardo III

Great school!

I started with the OPUS1 then the OPUS2. I currently use the Sonnet 1 processor. Yes I do have my original internal implant still.