July HearPeers Virtual Coffee Chat

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marion nancy

definitively will include you!

Zoom does not offer free live captions.  We are using Google Meet because it is free to everyone, has no time limit and allows each person to turn on live captions if desired.

I am glad you will be joining in!

• HearPeers Heroes

UPDATED

Date for July!!!!!!

Sunday July 5 !!!!!!!!

9:30 New York time

We welcome more HP members!  Anyone else want to join in?

@Mary Beth YES

@Jewel YES

@Dave in Pittsburgh  YES

@Kirk S. YES

@Tracey_66 YES

@Kylie YES

@Mary Featherston YES

@Valentin YES

@Joan YES

@Nikki YES

@Megan L. YES

@Watersail MAYBE

@phobos512 YES

@Marion nancy YES

Google Meet is a free app.  Download it.  If you already have a Google account it may already be listed in your extras.

There is either (depending on device used) a CC button to select or 3 dots (...) that when you select the dots you will see the option to turn on captions.

About a week before the virtual chat, I will send out a group HP mail.  You can see the mail at the top of HP under the envelope icon.

Looking forward to the July chat!

Stay well everyone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Marion nancy

definitively will include you!

Zoom does not offer free live captions.  We are using Google Meet because it is free to everyone, has no time limit and allows each person to turn on live captions if desired.

I am glad you will be joining in!

So looking forward

9::30 in the morning?

....Alright, count me in....But with this lockdown,  like many people, I have developed a certain life style change...You know - Not shaving, not brushing my hair, wearing the same clothes  that I slept in for the rest of the day...( and sometimes  the day after). ...

....I am joking of course...(well not completely). But I do notice this in online meetings that I attended...People not turning on their videos...And the first thing I think is..."Is this a bad hair day for them, or did they just not bother getting up for the day...."

But this will be interesting for me as I never used Google meetings, and am interested in the CC feature.

I tried Zoom and a few others, but I really do not bother with them anymore  as I had trouble with hearing what people were saying. Too many people speak too low, or do not know enough to talk into microphone, or just lousy reception and static.

So, I will give it a shot....Unless I am working that morning (I will not know until the Thursday before).

So, count me in...

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

UPDATED

Date for July!!!!!!

Sunday July 5 !!!!!!!!

9:30 New York time

We welcome more HP members!  Anyone else want to join in?

@Mary Beth YES

@Jewel YES

@Dave in Pittsburgh  YES

@Kirk S. YES

@Tracey_66 YES

@Kylie YES

@Mary Featherston YES

@Valentin YES

@Joan YES

@Nikki YES

@Megan L. YES

@Watersail MAYBE

@phobos512 YES

@Marion nancy YES

@Neil YES

Google Meet is a free app.  Download it.  If you already have a Google account it may already be listed in your extras.

There is either (depending on device used) a CC button to select or 3 dots (...) that when you select the dots you will see the option to turn on captions.

About a week before the virtual chat, I will send out a group HP mail.  You can see the mail at the top of HP under the envelope icon.

Looking forward to the July chat!

Stay well everyone

• HearPeers Heroes

Check your HearPeers mail for info.  At the top click on the envelope.

@Mary Beth YES

@Jewel YES

@Dave in Pittsburgh  YES

@Kirk S. YES

@Tracey_66 YES

@Kylie YES

@Mary Featherston YES

@Valentin YES

@Joan YES

@Nikki YES

@Megan L. YES

@Watersail MAYBE

@phobos512 YES

@Marion nancy YES

@Neil YES

• HearPeers Heroes

Terrific July Virtual HearPeers Chat!

14 of us met on Google Meet for over an hour and a half.

It’s always nice to meet more Med-El CI users and to put faces and voices to HP screen names.

This month topics tended to focus on assistive tech.  AudioLink, Roger Pen, Roger Select, Roger Clip On Mic, Artone BT neckloop, Direct Audio Input cable, Around the ear headphones, BT speakers......

It was a bit like show and tell!

Between all of us, we own quite a selection of connectivity options!

Thanks for joining in

@Joan

@Nikki

@Marion nancy

@Tracey_66

@Kylie (and extra thanks for managing the group email and chat while we were live)

@Jewel

@Mary Featherston (sorry the audio was not working correctly for you)

@Kirk S.

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@phobos512

@Neil
@Megan L.

@Valentin (Sorry you had connection issues this time)

Australia, Japan, Spain, Jamaica, Canada & the US were all represented.

It was so nice seeing everyone today.   I've learned several new things but above all i'm overjoyed by the positive impact those devices have on so many wonderful people's lives.  Thank you MedEl and a special goes to MB and @Kylie for set up. Thanks for inviting me. Have a wonderful Sunday/ happy monday in other parts of the world 😊

• Like 2

@Mary Beththank you so much.  It was wonderful speaking and meeting everyone.  How fortunate I am to Medel for picking me for their research programme or I would still be in a waiting list.  It is just recently the government is realizing how important it is for seniors to hear to avoid isolation and early dementia.  We still have a long way to go.  But what resources we have have on hand once accepted are truly unbelievable and  exceptional.  It is just recently Medel is recognizing Canadians and we will have a Canadian webnair this week.  So excited 

• Like 2

Thank You Mary Beth for arranging the coffee chat very informative and interesting it really give the CI recipients a chance for questions and answers

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

There's a "rate your experience" thing when you close the chat so I told them the audio didn't work.  I know it's not my computer, so it must have been some kind of glitch in the meet software.

• HearPeers Heroes

I should point out, though, given the name of the chat, that I was the ONLY ONE drinking coffee.  🙂

1 minute ago, Mary Featherston said:

I should point out, though, given the name of the chat, that I was the ONLY ONE drinking coffee.  🙂

Nope I had mine.  Enjoy the heat

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston I had my coffee during the chat 😊 sorry you’re audio wasn’t working. Hopefully next time it will work!

• HearPeers Heroes
30 minutes ago, Mary Featherston said:

Nope not this time @Mary Featherston!  I was drinking coffee too!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marion nancy

I’m so glad you were selected for the research trial too!  I signed up for the US/Canada Med-El meeting this week too. Did you register for Wednesday or Thursday?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Marion nancy

Enjoy! I’m registered for Wednesday but I think @Jewel is registered for Thursday.

• HearPeers Heroes
10 hours ago, Marion nancy said:

Nope I had mine.  Enjoy the heat

Ha.  No, thanks - I'm not a hot weather person.  I tolerate summers here but prefer any of the other three seasons.

Had coffee too! As for heat it has been here in the 30s and won't be long before we will get into the 40s😱 . I'll be happier end of August/September.

It was interesting to see and hear how and what connectivity every one uses.

I've a long way to go to get the hang of things, as only been activated for a month! I was pleased that there was captions available as everyone's voices was muffled. Nothing to do with laptop etc , just how my ear and Rondo 2 making out the vocal sounds at the moment!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tracey_66

It’s still early days for you.  Things will keep improving over time.

Yes, using Google Meet gives everyone the opportunity to turn on captions.  It is a great Google Meet feature.  (Along with no time limit!  Smile)