MED EL OPUS 2 Working issue

asad_xtc

Need your experience view on it

since 2.5 years my daughter is using MED EL OPUS 2 CI . It never had any issue as we always take care of it , as much we can.

Since a week she sometimes complaints that she is not hearing any voice. When D-Coil is adjusted here and there it works well. But now problem is more frequent 

I tested the Device on Testing instrument  By placing horizontally it works fine but placing on vertical position some times it works , some times not 

Also we noticed that magnetic strength of D-Coil is not as much strong .

What can be reason ?

1:Is D-Coil cable Faulty ?(No physical mark or damage found)

2: D-Coil magnet is faulty ?

In COVID-19 situation audiologist service is not available :( 

If you have an idea what is cost of both D-Coil Cable ? and D-Coil Magnet ,plz also share 

Thanks for sharing your experience 

• HearPeers Heroes

@asad_xtc

I’m sorry this is happening.

If you have an extra D-coil cable, I suggest you try it and see if that solves the problem.

I have not heard of D-coil magnets changing their strength.  Sometimes though as our bodies change, we require a different magnet strength.

Prices vary in each country.  Your Med-El office will have the correct pricing.

I hope you can get this fixed soon.  It must be very frustrating for your daughter.

I will tag @MED-EL Moderator in case they can help guide you.

Wishing your daughter the best.

Mary Beth

I am thankful for your good wish words . 

Actually when she got the CI , she was exactly 2 years old . now she is almost 4.5 years old .I observed that her skull has grown up and position on internal cochlear implant has shifted from earlier position . I saw a video right now on MED EL , apparently it looks D-coil cable issues according to that video .

Should we ask the audiologist to change the magnetic strength ? even I dont know well if it is adjustable and can be strengthened :) just learnt from you today 

Actually I was lucky to get the CI through some kind of government sponsor .But now things are not well , as the program has stopped and we ourselves to look for these d-coil cable kind of stuff .so thats why I was searching for some economical accessories online store or something like that 

I will see if spare cable is inside the OPUS 2 Red box and try to implement your suggestion .thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

@asad_xtc

Hopefully a spare cable is in her kit.

Audiologists determine the best magnet strength.  We want to use the weakest magnet strength that keeps the coil on our head and connected well.  Strong magnets can cause problems with our skin.  So best to have an audiologist check her magnet strength.

Hi @asad_xtc,

thanks for your post. We've sent you a private message to learn more and help resolve this issue so your child gets back to hearing asap.

@Mary Beth , thanks for tagging us!

Best regards, Barbara 

• HearPeers Heroes

@asad_xtc

I am so happy to hear that the problem has been solved!  I find it helpful to always have a new spare cable ready just in case.