Rondo 2 #4 magnet too weak?

Richard G

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

Yes the magnet design of the internal Synchrony, dictates this different external magnet.  Polarized left and right.

Like you, I will not actually benefit from the Synchrony ability to have MRI 3 T because my first side has an internal Concerto (magnet polarized top/bottom).

As an experiment, gave you tried removing the Rondo 2 from its charger after it is done if you are ever awake in the middle of the night?  Then it would have rested off the charger for hours before you put it on.

I don’t have Rondo 2.  I do notice the difference in how the magnets work between my sides though and I do use stronger magnets on the Synchrony side.  I also have to align the Synchrony internal magnet from time to time with the 10:00/2:00 twisting.

I hope you find a solution.

Thank you very much. I will certain!y try resting the unit after removing it from the charger. If it works, it will solve part of the puzzle. The other part will be why?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston and @Jewel

You have internal Synchrony implants with Rondo 2 processors right?  Do you experience this weaker magnet connection in the morning that both @Richard G and @Tracey_66 describe?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Mary Beth

I don't have this problem at all. And Rondo2 is usually on my head before 8 am most days. My Rondo2 automatically positions itself in the upright 12 o'clock mic position. 

My hair is thick but I still wear Rondo2 as close to my head as possible. 

I can't remember my magnet strength. I don't remember how to find that. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Turn your Rondo 2 upside down and the magnet in the center should be marked with triangles denoting strength.

I am glad you do not have this problem.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Mary Beth I've never had that issue either.

I have #3 magnets and they're fine all the time.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Jewel

Turn your Rondo 2 upside down and the magnet in the center should be marked with triangles denoting strength.

I am glad you do not have this problem.

@Mary Beth

As you can see I wear my Rondo2 a lot. So there's nothing to indicate the magnet strength, unless I misunderstood you. 

20200720_184011.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Yup it peeled off.  You can see part of one of the triangles.  I think the Rondo 2 ships with strength 3 typically.  Maybe your audiologist has the magnet strength in her records.

D8B9775B-C714-4C62-A66F-6D81E0F3599F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Mary Beth suggestion works. After charging, I set the processor aside for a few hours and the magnet seems to be considerably stronger. It appears that the charging weakens it. Since it only happens to a couple of users, could we ask Medel engineers if perhaps it is some kind of an internal problem with isolating the magnet from the coil?

Thank you Mary Beth for your suggestion and help.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

I just got lucky on that suggestion based on what you and @Tracey_66 were reporting.

Rondo 2 magnet on Synchrony side is too weak in the morning when you put it on but gets stronger later on.

I am glad removing the Rondo 2 from the charger after it is finished charging and setting it aside until your day begins solves this odd problem for you.  

Sure we can ask @MED-EL Moderator for info on why this is happening.  They are always very helpful.  

@Mary Beth thanks for tagging us! 

@Richard G have you told your local MED-EL team about your experiences? 

I'll try to find out more from our product experts :)

Best regards, Verena 

I will be talking to my audiologist  on Friday, but I will appreciate Mary Beth contacting our Medel rep with that question.

Thank you

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

We each need to contact our own regional Med-El reps directly.  My Med-El customer service rep is awesome when I have questions about my own CI experience.  If you are not sure who your regional Med-El rep is, just contact Med-El and ask.

I will do that, but I thought that there is just one Medel moderator for this forum, and that is the person I suggested Mary Beth could contact to see if there is an answer to that issue.. If anyone can contact Moderator or if these forum entries are routinely moderated, we an get the answer without further writing.

Except for Tracey, I do not see anyone else noticing that problem, so I thought maybe it relates just to these two processors. If that was the case, perhaps they would need to be inspected. Perhaps I am a bit dramatic, but routinely waking up at 3 AM to remove  the processor from the charger does not seem to be reasonable.  The alternative would be to not use one side for couple of hours every morning.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry I misunderstood you @Richard G

Anyone in this forum can tag @MED-EL Moderator.  They monitor the forum and are from Med-El headquarters in Innsbruck.  A very very helpful team.  Mary, Barbara and Verena

Verena asked if you have discussed this problem with your local Med-El team in the US.  The US is divided into regions with Med-El US Customer Sevice Reps, Community Engagement Managers, etc.  

I will discuss this first with my audiologist  on Friday. She is very knowledgeable and has good raport with Medel reps. 

I think that the technical answer lies with the engineering team at the Medel HQ in Innsbruck, but I will start with the Medel regional office here in the US and take it from there.

Again many thanks to all of you who participated in this discussion. This is a marvellous forum and I am glad I found you.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

Keep us posted. Meanwhile I am glad you at least have a work around.  I’m curious about this do I hope we hear more from Med-El Innsbruck about it.

sorry for going off topic, i read some members suggesting to remove rondo 2 from charger pad? Is it something to do with battery going fully charge n it has to be remove after pad showing green light?

No, it only discusses possible impact of battery charging on the strength of the magnet

• 5 months later...

Hello,
are magnets strong enough for completely bald people?

• HearPeers Heroes

@TheMagneticBaldMan

I would think being bald would make it easier than having very thick hair.  It also depends on the thickness of your skin flap created during surgery.

19 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@TheMagneticBaldMan

I would think being bald would make it easier than having very thick hair.  It also depends on the thickness of your skin flap created during surgery.

Thanks.
So even though I have very short hair, like 5mm, I don't need the nylon thread to fix the CI?
I don't think I have enough hair to fix the Rondo 3's tweezers.

• HearPeers Heroes

@TheMagneticBaldMan

There is no way to tell for sure which magnet strength you will need and how the Rondo 3 will adhere to your internal magnet.  Your CI audiologist would know best.

There are secure line options that attach to clothes too.  And some people use secure line options that attach to their ears or to their glasses.  The secure lines do not help holding the Rondo 3 in place.  They are a safety line in case we knock the Rondo 3 off.

I can wear my Rondo processors without a secure line.  But when doing risky activities, I use eargear covers with tether and clip.