Rondo 2 #4 magnet too weak?

Richard G

Thanks Mary Beth, you are very kind.
In what cases could I have processor positioning problems?
And what could be the risky activities where I could lose the processor? For example, going to a concert or stadium with 40-50,000 or more people, would I need a lanyard?
In the coming months I will have consultations with the audiologist.

• HearPeers Heroes

@TheMagneticBaldMan

I am not sure why a few people have magnet retention issues.  Some people mention internal swelling.  Others mention having a skin flap that is too thick.  It’s something you can discuss with your surgeon.

I do not have magnet retention  issues.  My Rondos stay on perfectly fine.  The only time they fall off is if I knock them off.

I attend concerts with thousands of people in arenas and do not need a secure line.  Others use secure lines always.

I use the eargear covers with tether and clip on boats and in the water.

I just looked up Eargear covers for Rondo, and they look pretty good.

Since I first had my Rondo 1 on one side some 5 years ago, I always wore an original Rondo clothing clip which I attached to a thin gold chain I wear every day. Now I have two Rondo processors and both are attached the same way to my chain.  I would not feel comfortable without attaching the processor somehow as even with the strongest magnet it may slip off my head. I have enough hair to cover both processors. Magnet #5 on Rondo 2 and magnet #4 on Rondo 3. The difference is in the placement of implants under the skin. Five years ago, in Poland my surgeon made a relatively deep and flat pocket and the Rondo 1 with magnet #4 seemed strong enough although it took some time to get used to it. Also, the implant was of a multidirectional type - it made no difference in what position the processor is placed - it always adhered the same way. This year my surgeon in the USA placed the implant a bit shallower, slightly lower in more rounded part of the head. As the result, the surface is not as flat, but my implant is the new Sychrony that supposed to work better with MRI magnetic field. It became necessary to use unidirectional magnet which adheres only in 11 or 2 o'clock position. That, in turn made the magnet #4 too weak and I had to ask for the strongest possible magnet - #5. With that both sides feel about the same.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

I have one internal concerto implant and one internal synchrony implant.

The synchrony implant has a rotating magnet.  If I attach my Rondo and turn it to 3:00 position and then turn it to 9:00 position, the internal magnet aligns.  And then it holds the Rondo with the top at the 12:00 position.

Have you tried that?

Thank you Beth

I have and it works.  I was somehow less worried about magnet's position since my hair covers it in either 2 o' clock or 12 o' clock position. As you recall, I was more worried about the magnet strength after it gets off the charger but I solved it. If you leave the Rondo on the charger after its battery is full, when you take it off the charger the magnet is very weak - it has substantially less adherence that before you charged it.

The reason must be the current still flowing through  processor and perhaps the temperature it generates while it sits on the charger.  I fixed the problem. I connected the charger to a timer. It kicks on at 9PM and off at 3AM, when it shuts off electricity to the charger. When I put it on in the morning, magnet #5 works great. It had several hours to cool off. I am not a physicist so these are only my observations. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge of magnetic forces can pipe in.

This problem does not exist with the Sonata Ti implant. It is worth mentioning that this directional magnet is marked with diamonds and the non directional with circles.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

Great problem solving with the timer!

The only thing I wonder about with Rondo 3 is due to dual mics it is designed to be positioned at 12:00 so the directional mics work correctly.  If we are using an Omni mic program that would not matter.

Do you notice a difference in sound quality at 12:00 versus 2:00 position?

@Richard G

Is the cause of the shallower placement the new Sychrony CI model?
Or are there other causes that cannot be predicted before surgery?

Depth of the pocket for an implant and, what follows, thickness of the skin flap as well as a position behind the ear are dictated by your anatomy and actual specifications of implant manufacturer. Your surgeon has a template he puts behind your ear that shows him where to make an incision, make a skin flap, remove a part of the mastoid none and insert the electrode and the implant.

• HearPeers Heroes

Right and also your surgeon’s technique.  Some surgeons create a well to set the internal component in and some surgeons use a different technique.

This link is old (from 2011) but it shows how surgeon’s techniques were starting to change.  

I asked my surgeons before surgery what they were going to do.  I have drilled wells on both sides. 

https://www.audiology.org/news/drill-or-not-drill-well-cochlear-implant’s-internal-device