Music and Programs

christianlove777

It was good to be back in Church this morning for the first time in a while. Misses my brothers and sisters in Christ! When we started singing the first song I was hearing like over 100 different voices and it was to much for me. With my hearing aids I was able to blend in all the voices into one but with this CI there were so many voices overlapping over each other and I couldn't get it to blend in. I know in time it will get better. I tried listening to music instruments but it was difficult with everybody singing. When nobody was singing I was able to hear the flute. With H.A. I was only able to hear 1-2 notes and I need to be close to hear. When Scott played the flute I wasn't close and I was able to hear like 3-4 notes (even the high one) and it was awesome! On the last song only the Piano was playing and the Choir was singing. I had my eyes closed to see if I can blend in the voices but was not able to so I tune that out and just focus on the piano. It was a bit difficult. Later after the service during the offering the piano was playing only and again I closed my eyes and I got to enjoy it. It was beautiful to hear that some notes were slow then fast then back to slow, how Janet pressing the notes gentle then hard then back to gentle, hearing different notes from most of the middle, couple high and some low...it was beautiful. I was only able to hear some middle and few low but high was very difficult to hear with my H.A. The best instrument that I can hear very well most of the songs were the drum. Some CI users were not able to enjoy the drums but I enjoyed it a lot. I was just about to do the break dance No, I'm kidding.... When I got home I decided to turn off my processors because I have listen so much so little time and my brain is telling me "STOP IT'S BREAK TIME". I'm going to have to make plans like go hiking on the trail, go see the waterfall, go to the Zoo, Aquarium, and many other places to explore Now, it's rest time.

All, what 4 programs would you recommend?

Joe, you are AWESOME!  You are doing so much to train your brain and I really admire that.

I think the programs are always individually programmed for you by your audiologist; we don't all have the same programs.

Perhaps you could tell her you want a program for music.

My audiologist told me that Med-El recommends one program for all things. I don't have but 1 everyday program on my processor.

But it really sounds like you're doing okay, when the loudness is increased to the right level, then every thing will really start to get clearer.

I have 4 programs on my Fine Tuner: 1 for everyday listening situations, 2 is the same as 1 except louder.  3 is for noisy situations like parties/restaurants.  4 is the same as 3 except louder.  We can change the programs any time I go for my mappings.

I'm thinking of doing Program 1 everyday use 2 for louder graph 3 for either louder or noise situation that may be useful for my job and 4 for FPS for music. I've been switching 1-4 and adjusting volume all day trying to figure out the best comfort. Some situation is more comfortable than others and I switch a lot. I think I'm killing the batteries when I do that LOL. I post my Hearing Journey on FB daily so if you want to read it you can add me as your friend www.facebook.com/blumunkey1982. You are more than welcome to share in my post so my friends can see what it's like to hear things for the first time. Many are telling me they take their hearing for granted and I reminded them to be grateful for their hearing and all the beautiful sounds they've been ignoring.

I think it will be very difficult - as in almost impossible to make hearing people understand what it's like to have a CI. There is definately nothing wrong with taking your hearing for granted. I did too, until I got deaf. And even now being deaf, knowing that everyone can loose their abilities with the blink of an eye, I still take my legs, my eye-sight and everything else for granted.

I also believe it's easier to imagine what it like to totally loose an ability rather than a partial loss (like a CI). I think it's easier to imagine what it is like to be blind than being partially vision impaired. I think it's easier to imagine what it is like to have no legs, than being impaired by a disease such as MS for instance. I really don't think it is that necessary for ones friends to understand - just listen.

I personally always think that no matter how much I try to explain what it feels like, they always end up saying stupid things, like "So do you hear birds singing". And yearh I do, but it's a nuisance.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey Joe,

well done for getting straight into challenging hearing situations. I love music as well and I have tried a lot of different settings/maps to enhance the listening experience.

I have found through trial and error that for me my everyday program is fine for listening to music on the radio at home or in the car and even with headphones. For live stuff outside this program is good as long as I'm not too close to the speakers.

For indoor events where the music is really loud I have created a couple of programs where the bass is turned down significantly (almost can't hear my own voice with this one) and another a little closer to normal. I like a lot of techno, psytrance, and electronic stuff that is played way too loud at venues. I went to a gig the other night - Pet Shop Boys - and I used my mid music program which was excellent. I was able to hear the music and the vocals and even talk to my friends during the show.

Cool