Deaf from birth

I.D

Hello. I am the mother of 2 year old child who was born deaf. He had an c.i implant last year but only on one side because the other side the nerve its too damaged. He doesnt seem to react much .do you hear something with just one side? 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello @I.D and welcome to HearPeers.

Listening with a cochlear implant is a team effort.  Talk with your CI center to see what services are available in your country to help your child learn to listen with a CI.

Are you in close contact with your child’s audiologist?  She/He will be able to guide you the best.

Wishing your child the best.

Hi. Thank you for the reply .There is someone that comes to us but she is not doing much .and the problem is that we stay in a foreign country before his birth and i dont know so well the language and we should learn first the language better and then sign language .i dont know what to do .i dont know in what language to speak with him anymore. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@I.D

It is very helpful for parents to work with people who have experience helping young children learn to listen with CIs.  And it is very important that young children go to frequent appointments with their CI audiologist to ensure the settings on the CI are allowing the child to hear speech sounds well.  Try to see if someone at a local CI center can help.

And I will tag @MED-EL Moderator to see if they can help you too.

@Mary Beth Thanks for tagging us! 

@I.D welcome to the HearPeers forum! I've sent you a private message to learn more about your child's situation. 

Best regards, Verena  

8 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Also how do you learn a child to sign and talk ? Should i do it in the same time? If you know what i mean..

• HearPeers Heroes

@I.D

People have very different opinions about using only speech or using a combination of speech and sign.  

Having someone work directly with you and your child to help your child learn to communicate will be very helpful.

Are you able to be connected to another family close by who has a child with a cochlear implant?

I dont know other family with child like this.usually either they have both side implanted but very rarely someone with one side implanted and the other still deaf.

• HearPeers Heroes

@I.D

@Jewel has one side implanted.  Maybe she will share her experience of listening with a CI.

I work as a Teacher of the Deaf with students who are deaf in both ears but only have one side implanted. They do great.  It really helps to have a professional guide you and a close relationship with your CI audiologist.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello @I.D

Welcome to HearPeers! 

Although I qualify for CIs in both ears only one ear is implanted. 

I have been implanted almost 2 years and I don't feel as though I'm at a disadvantage with only one CI. I am able to converse easily with others, hear very well over the phone, enjoy music, able to make out sounds coming from far away, hear birds chirping, enjoy TV, YouTube and the like. Just last weekend I heard a clock ticking for the very first time! 

With the right aural rehabilitation and mappings your child ought to do well too. 

Let me know if you have any questions. 

Thank you so much for your answer.

I am so happy that you can hear well even in this condition. My question is were you deaf all life? and if so untill the c.i you  used only sign language?