Wishing Matt the best this Friday

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

We are wishing you the very best on your surgery tomorrow. When you feel up to it, let us know how things go.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh wow thanks so much :) I certainly will!

Tell you what, I did not like the coronavirus test that much...That was...unpleasant.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

I bet it was!  Hopefully that is the only unpleasant part of your journey.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck, Matt@  @phobos512 - It's the beginning of an awesome journey.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Best wishes Matt @phobos512 on your surgery tomorrow. Sending you good vibes 😎 keep us posted on how you do!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey Matt, @phobos512 tomorrow this time you will be a CIBorg just resting and waiting for activation! I hope your surgery will go well. All the best. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

Today is Matt’s big day!  Wishing you an easy recovery.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey everyone! Back at home just now. Little bit of dizziness but nothing too bad. Raging tinnitus in right ear but I know that's to be expected. I am sure I am still feeling after effects of anesthesia some but very limited pain so far, mild discomfort I would say. Hospital staff were amazing, so great and nice to us and accommodating. Since end of January I have been drinking only water so wow was the apple juice they had for me a sugar bomb. Woo... Dry mouth but throat is not too sore. Anyway, that's about it for now. Going to rest a bit.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Terrific Matt!  Rest easy.

Who was your surgeon?

@phobos512

• HearPeers Heroes

Dr Christopher Tsang. We were at Inova Fairfax Hospital Surgery Center in Falls Church VA.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wearing my contacts today for the first time since March. Glasses without one arm are annoying. Still a little bit of dizziness when I move rapidly. Very little pain. Haven't even taken an aspirin. Having dry mouth a little but it's manageable. Coughed up a little bit of blood early this morning but just once and only a little tiny bit. Got up a whole bunch over night; I hate sleeping on my back.

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

I spent the first several days sleeping in a recliner and then sleeping propped up with lots of pillows in bed.  You may find that more comfortable 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Unfortunately we don't have a recliner, yet. Or a couch. We never really set our apartment up, knowing it was going to only be for a year or less. We close on our house on or before 13 Aug so looking forward to that.

• Like 2

Glad that it all went well. Take it easy for now. Won't be long now before your activation date. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Tracey_66 hard for me to sit still as much as I probably need to right now I just want to go go go. I spent all day, all day on the phone today with one ear and it was to put it plainly awful. I got absolutely nothing out of it and I feel pretty terrible about it. There was an agenda, there were documents to refer to, but they weren't used, it was very freeform, they jumped around all over the place and it was impossible for me to follow. Not that it was easy before, but there's definitely less information to work with only coming in from my left ear for now. Doesn't help that I still don't have my new hearing aid because the earmold lab has been delayed. It's been over a month since the order was placed (and at the time I didn't know I'd have the option of going for the CI so soon so I've paid for stuff I have no need for now).

On a positive note, dizziness is starting to pass, which is good. I washed my hair and shaved today, which was nice. I waited longer than I probably needed to but I felt better playing it conservatively. My wife says the incision looks good. Slept better last night too.

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

Check out the free app/service called InnoCaption+ which will let you speak for yourself but will caption incoming sound.  Free.  Works on your cell phone.  Quick to get started.  No documents needed from your audiologist.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth I have it actually but I can't use it for work for security reasons. And since work is the only time I use real phone calls...

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi everyone. I just got done with my post surgical follow-up appointment. Everything is looking good. Stitches are about 75% dissolved my doctor told me. Plenty of fluid in my middle ear space, which I knew already, and should go away over the coming weeks. Activation two weeks from today.

Dizziness is mostly gone aside from when I am lying in bed and I switch sides I can get a little bit. Never had any nausea, never needed to take so much as a Tylenol since the surgery. He told me the surgery was really easy, my anatomy made things very straightforward, and that bodes well for the other side. He did say something about when he was doing the pocket for the implant he had to position it a little different than typical due to a harder area in my skull or something like that. Always knew I had a hard head lol.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

Terrific update!  Activation is the start of the fun!  Two weeks to go!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Sounds great, @phobos512!  Heal up and it will be activation day in no time.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512  Happy that all went well. Rest up and enjoy your final weeks of silence. Lots of sounds await you on activation! Hope you will find the journey amazing as many of us did. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Well I got my new hearing aid for my left ear finally. Pretty neat. Earmold came out just like I hoped it would. Tomorrow afternoon is CI activation!

And I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier when I took the picture but it's mirrored; this is my left ear. Guess the selfie cam flips the image. Never noticed that before.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well I came home with a pretty dumb grin on my face just a little bit ago. Spent about two and a half hours with my audi Dr. Rooney going through all the Med-El goodies and setting up the processors and mapping and what not. All the electrodes are good, working, turned on, whatever the appropriate terminology is. I don't have a good feel for where I am in terms of volume but Dr. Rooney said she was really happy with how I am handling the input which I guess is fairly strong. I have four settings preprogrammed on my remote to work through ideally before my next appointment on the 17th. The fourth is pretty overwhelming right now (she demoed each).

I can distinguish speech from other sounds but I can't exactly make it out yet. On the drive home, I was able to catch a few familiar words from the radio (I had my hearing aid turned off just for funsies) from the announcer (the station name) and also two familiar songs that played during my short drive. I can hear my breathing, I heard a clock in the room we worked in, I could hear Dr. Rooney typing on the computer from the chair I was seated in; I can hear my wife typing on her computer behind me as I sit writing this (the conclusion being I can also hear myself typing; I'd hope so because I have an incredibly loud mechanical keyboard; drives my wife nuts whoops...). I can hear the click of my mouse.

So anyway I'm going to go back to grinning like an idiot and finish out the work day and go just hear stuff. Pretty neat.