Rondo 3!

Mary Beth

Marybeth

it was your suggestion about using noise in YouTube that helped me at last visit!

my Audi was not up on this idea, but when I suggested it, she called the company rep and had made a couple useful new programs for me in 10 minutes.

then I asked for rep to be at next mapping, also a suggestion here. Thank you all!

i was looking for the Rondo 3 details on Med-El website and came across with Samba 2 which is also similar size/design of Rondo2/3. Do anyone know the details of Samba 2 as i cant find any info on this forums. Thanks in advance 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lori m

The credit for using restaurant noise YouTube videos during MAPping belongs to my friend @Joan.  Her audiologist, along with a Med-El audiologist rep, did that at her last appt and I thought it was a terrific idea!

Lots of great suggestions here from all our members.  I love how friendly & helpful everyone is here on HPs.  Terrific group of people!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

Samba 2 is a processor for middle ear implants and bone conduction implants not for cochlear implants.  Different types of hearing losses require different types of processors.

Med-El current cochlear implant processors:

Rondo 3 (releases fall 2020 in CE Mark countries)

Sonnet 2

Rondo 2

Med-El previous cochlear implant processors:

Sonnet

Rondo

OPUS2

On 7/20/2020 at 2:25 PM, Mary Beth said:

OK - Attempting to join this conversation for the 1st time.  I got my 1st CI in December of 2013 and the 2nd in August of 14.  I went with the Rondos for both and have loved them.  I have not upgraded because I wanted to stick with the Rondos, but did not think the Rondo 2 had enough WOW over the original Rondo - it helped to have had a 2nd Rondo (plus an Opus) for each ear as backup.  At any rate, I am really impressed with the Specs on the Rondo 3 and plan upon doing my upgrades when it is released here in the USA. 

A couple of questions I have relative to the Rondo 3. 

A.  The charge lasts for 24 hours - great!!  How long does it take to charge the device if it has totally run out of power?

B.  Can the Rondo 3 directly connect to my android cell phone via blue-tooth or any other way?  

C.  I get the impression the Rondo 3 will connect with my Smart TV - yes?

If the answers to B and C are "Yes", I think this would be just about perfect.

Thanks.

David

20 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Salik

Samba 2 is a processor for middle ear implants and bone conduction implants not for cochlear implants.  Different types of hearing losses require different types of processors.

Med-El current cochlear implant processors:

Rondo 3 (releases fall 2020 in CE Mark countries)

Sonnet 2

Rondo 2

Med-El previous cochlear implant processors:

Sonnet

Rondo

OPUS2

Oh it's for middle ear implant, I got excited as this one got battery slot n same size as our Rondo 2...would be useful in travelling 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

Rondo 3 has some way to recharge the up to 24 hour built in battery on the go while we still wear it.  Interesting 

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Salik

Rondo 3 has some way to recharge the up to 24 hour built in battery on the go while we still wear it.  Interesting 

I know Rondo3 got battery pack upgrade but somehow I was interested in Samba2 battery life of 8-10 days from one 675 battery and same batteries I was using in Opus1.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

I see.  8-10 days would be wildly wonderful!

The most I have even gotten on any of the processors I have used is 3 days with 3 batteries in Rondo 1/OPUS2.  I know others who have gotten 4-5 days in those processors but I never come near the up to maximum number of battery hours.

1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

@Salik

I see.  8-10 days would be wildly wonderful!

The most I have even gotten on any of the processors I have used is 3 days with 3 batteries in Rondo 1/OPUS2.  I know others who have gotten 4-5 days in those processors but I never come near the up to maximum number of battery hours.

I still can't believe of samba 2 battery life upto 8-10 days from one single 675 battery, even if it's up to 3 days that also fine for me. Which is why it's very light in weights around 9.3 gram compare to Rondo 2 14.9 gram. Anyhow Samba 2 is not for us. 

On 7/24/2020 at 3:01 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Lori m

Rondo 3 has 2 mics and uses ASM 3 adaptive intelligence so it will treat noise the same way Sonnet 2 treats noise with ASM 3 active (which is not yet FDA approved in the US).  ASM 3 is the most advanced sound management system for Med-El.  So Rondo 3 should be much better in noise than Rondo 2 (which has 1 mic and uses ASM 1).

I have not heard if there are improvements to the Rondo 3 security leash and attachment clips.  Maybe @MED-EL Moderator can help answer that for you.

@Mary Beth @Lori m thanks for tagging us. 

More information about RONDO 3 and its accessories will be released in fall when RONDO 3 will be available. 

Thanks for understanding! 

Best, Verena 

The Rondo 3 sounds very interesting - and makes me glad I waited to upgrade from the original Rondo.

A have a couple of questions about this device:

A.  I understand the charge on it will last 24 hours.  My question is, if the Rondo 3 is totally out of power, how long will it take to charge it to 100% power?

B.  Is the Rondo 3 able to connect directly to my android cellphone - either thru bluetooth or some other way?

C.  I have seen this statement by the Moderator: "RONDO 3 does not have an integrated telecoil. However, telecoil adapter comes as an accessory in every user kit."  Does that mean my Artone or Quattro will not work with just the Rondo 3?  How does a "telecoil adapter" work with the Rondo 3?

Thanks.  David

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator I've got another question tagging on to @David V here... Regarding the charging, is it a pre-existing standard of wireless charging like Qi or is it a MED-EL unique charging system? It would be really neat if it could be charged from phones that have the ability to charge other devices wirelessly like the more recent Samsung Galaxy S phones.

@David V
Great to read that you are excited about RONDO 3. 

To answer your questions:

A. RONDO 3 takes between 2.5 hours and 4 hours to fully charge from empty. 

B. Much like SONNET 2, RONDO 3 uses AudioLink to connect to your phone via Bluetooth. You can also use it with the AudioKey 2 app, to manage settings etc directly from your phone. 

C. When you put the telecoil adapter to RONDO 3, the audio processor will automatically switch to the telecoil mode. This will allow RONDO 3 to work with your Artone or Quattro neckloop devices.

@phobos512
RONDO 3 uses Qi technlogy for wireless charging. However, RONDO 3 has only been tested with the charging pad provided, so we cannot guarantee it will work with every Qi charging device. 

Kind regards, 

Mary 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 2:26 PM, MED-EL Moderator said:

@David V
Great to read that you are excited about RONDO 3. 

To answer your questions:

A. RONDO 3 takes between 2.5 hours and 4 hours to fully charge from empty. 

B. Much like SONNET 2, RONDO 3 uses AudioLink to connect to your phone via Bluetooth. You can also use it with the AudioKey 2 app, to manage settings etc directly from your phone. 

C. When you put the telecoil adapter to RONDO 3, the audio processor will automatically switch to the telecoil mode. This will allow RONDO 3 to work with your Artone or Quattro neckloop devices.

@phobos512
RONDO 3 uses Qi technlogy for wireless charging. However, RONDO 3 has only been tested with the charging pad provided, so we cannot guarantee it will work with every Qi charging device. 

Kind regards, 

Mary 

So Rondo 3 would still need artone to connect to your phone via bluetooth to talk? Wont it work like apple airpod without using artone? In Rondo 2 i have to make sure to turn off before placing it on wireless charging pad, does Rondo 3 auto turn off when placing it for charging? I have tried same output of wireless charging pad uses Qi technology in different brand which i have kept for backup.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

Rondo 3 can stream audio through the AudioLink staying in M setting and not use the telecoil.  At this time none of Med-El’s processors streams audio directly from phones.  We use an intermediary device (AudioLink) for Sonnet, Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3.

• 1 month later...

@MED-EL Moderator

How does the RONDO3 recharge-on-the-go function work? Please provide exact details.

The RONDO3 webpage shows the AudioLink quite prominently as an integral part of the connectivity experience.

Is the AudioLink a standard accessory included with the RONDO3?

Is the AudioLink included with a RONDO3 upgrade kit?

@Mary Beth

For the past week I have been trying out an AudioLink with bilateral SONNET2 processors. The AudioLink's Bluetooth feature is ONLY good for phone calls. It does not seem to contain a Bluetooth audio/music profile. Even though it is linked to your phone, playing music will not pass through that connection. My audiologist thought it would handle music properly if connected to a Rondo3. No one really knows.

The simplest solution I found was to buy a tiny Bluetooth receiver ($15) that plugged directly into the audio-in jack on the AudioLink. I found that using the AudioLink as recommended by Med-El for connecting to your TV, was not usable. The volume was uncontrollable - too loud to use in comfort. Also to adjust anything on the Audio-Link while plugged into the TV, you had to walk over to it (kind of silly for trying to have a hands-free experience). I will buy another Bluetooth transmitter and attach it to the TV audio-out connector. Then I can always have the AudioLink around my neck.

• HearPeers Heroes

@lrl

Thank you!

I found the same exact issues with AudioLink and the TV.  Crazy loud and very inconvenient to alter volume or mixing settings since you have to walk back to the TV each time.

Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 should behave the same way with the AudioLink.  There is a Med-El app for streaming music (A2DP converter app).

I like your idea better! Which tiny BT receiver do you use?

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@lrl

Thank you!

I found the same exact issues with AudioLink and the TV.  Crazy loud and very inconvenient to alter volume or mixing settings since you have to walk back to the TV each time.

Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 should behave the same way with the AudioLink.  There is a Med-El app for streaming music (A2DP converter app).

I like your idea better! Which tiny BT receiver do you use?

I have both of those Medel apps on my phone. It does not solve the music issue. The problem is related to the Bluetooth profile that is presented by the AudioLink to devices to which it connects. Simply put, the AudioLink Bluetooth is not programmed for music. Your other suggestions to use T-coil for music is a poor suggestion. First of all it is not in stereo  - only mono. Secondly the frequency response of T-coil was designed for phone calls and simple voice. This is probably a frequency range of about 2Khz. Your hearing is more like 15Khz. Look at the mapping process next time you visit your audiologist. Music appreciation relies on hearing this range.

I bought a great BT receiver on amazon - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071L5VF14/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is much smaller than the AudioLink and weighs nothing. Works while charging as well.

• HearPeers Heroes

@lrl

There was an update to the Med-El app.  Others are using it and streaming music.  I’m not sure why that isn’t working for you.  But I am glad you found a work around.  And your work around may be better.

You are correct that telecoil is blended mono.  I do prefer true stereo....like with BOSE QC35 headphones.  I enjoy the deep bass and separate left and right instrumental audio.

Thanks for the link.

I just loaded this app last week, so I have the latest version. It wouldnt play music. I even had the Medel rep with me to show how it all worked. Do you mean with this app I can stream music from my phone? What about from other sources, like my Alexa DOT ?

This little Bluetooth receiver plugged into the AudioLink works fine with my Alexa unit.

I was wondering if it is supplied with the RONDO3.

• HearPeers Heroes

@lrl

Yes Audio2Ear app streams music from phones through AudioLink to Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2 processors.  It is how I think Rondo 3 will stream also.

AudioStream (special Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2 battery covers) stream DIRECTLY from phone to processor without needing the AudioLink.  Med-El announced it today.

AudioStream link

https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/accessories/connectivity/audiostream

758FB60A-9B22-40D2-B8AB-092102CD11B6.png

504BE2F1-E772-4A83-8A74-3A6CA37557E7.png