Getting a haircut in this mask wearing pandemic

Megan L.

• HearPeers Heroes

Has anyone gotten a haircut yet in this pandemic? I need to go since I’m getting mermaid hair 🧜‍♀️ And I don’t hear anything without my ears and normally I’d lip read but everyone is wearing a mask....

So I’m wondering, how did it go and how did you understand the stylist not being able to lip read?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

I go through this every haircut because I hear nothing without my processors and once I take off my glasses, I can not see well enough to speechread.  So I explain that up front if it’s a different stylist and we discuss everything before she begins.  

I have gotten my haircut while everyone is wearing masks.

It goes better than you think it would.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth 

I do the same thing - talk about everything first before I take my ears out. But it never fails! The stylist always has something to ask me mid haircut 🤣 Oh well. This time I won’t know if they ask anything! 

• HearPeers Heroes

My husband has cut my hair twice now.  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L. yes.  I did have to take an attitude the first time that even if he dorked it up, the thing about hair is that it grows back.  But he didn't do too badly.  There were little bits sticking out that I had to fix with a small scissor in the bathroom but the second time was much better.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

I've been cutting my own hair since March. First two times my wife helped, but now I have gotten used to it and do it myself. I've been so dissatisfied withe the stylists I've tried here in NoVA since moving last fall, these have turned out to be my best haircuts in a long time.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512 

Haha that’s great! Sounds like you were a hair stylist in a past life 😆 it would be near impossible for me to cut my own hair unless it was all one long length 🧜‍♀️