Implant for single-sided deafness

Diane

• HearPeers Heroes

@Gloria B.

Lots of people have one CI and one hearing aid.  That is called bimodal listening.

Med-El Synchrony implant would be great for bimodal listening.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. I had my CI surgery on Monday for my left ear. Surgery went well and I was recovering fine until yesterday when I got hit with terrible Vertigo - couldn’t get out of bed. Today is somewhat better but still dizzy and not feeling great. Doctor gave me anti-dizzyness pills and steroids. I also got over the counter anti-nausea meds. This is really debilitating and hope it goes away soon. Did any of you suffer from this post op?

• HearPeers Heroes

@KennyW

I am sorry you are experiencing this.  I hope the meds help quickly.

I was fortunate and my recoveries were very easy.

• HearPeers Heroes

@KennyW

My first CI I had terrible vertigo and nausea in recovery and the day after. I was fine for about 3 or 4 days and it hit again when I looked at my phone for the first time to reply to text messages. The nurse warned me of this in recovery (that the blue light from the phone and computer will make you nauseous). The TV was fine I guess because it was further away from my face. Also, I think the pain meds made me feel dizzy and nauseous in addition to my phone. Not a good combo 🤮 Hope you feel better soon 🤞

• HearPeers Heroes

I didn't have vertigo but I was definitely dizzy after both surgeries. Onset was about a day or two, not immediately. Took about two weeks to resolve for me in each case.

Thank you. It is so debilitating and not clear when it will go away. I can at least get out of bed now and eat a little bit. Tomorrow, I can check in with my surgeon so maybe she will have advice. I’m disappointed because I was fine from Monday to Friday and hate having a setback. Hopefully, I’m less dizzy each day and less lethargic. I didn’t realize how bad vertigo can be!!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 1:48 PM, KennyW said:

Thank you. It is so debilitating and not clear when it will go away. I can at least get out of bed now and eat a little bit. Tomorrow, I can check in with my surgeon so maybe she will have advice. I’m disappointed because I was fine from Monday to Friday and hate having a setback. Hopefully, I’m less dizzy each day and less lethargic. I didn’t realize how bad vertigo can be!!

How Is it going for you?

2 hours ago, Chris L said:

How Is it going for you?

Thank you for asking!  Vertigo is “mostly” gone - not perfect but able to go through the day without too many issues. Don’t feel perfect - I’m a runner and need to really focus to keep my eyes on the road and not have the world shaking!  But I’m thankful I’m almost back to normal. By the way, blood remained in my ear and surgeon thinks that might have caused vertigo - not positive. 

Processor was turned on the 14th. Very, very low to start off. I heard beeps in the ear when she was adjusting it. Dealing with some buzzing but seems ok so far. Since I can hear from my right ear, it is more difficult to tell how much I am hearing out of the left. I did put an ear bud next to left ear and was able to hear a bit - don’t think I would have comprehended the words if I didn’t know what song was playing but glad I heard sound. Meeting with audiologist in 5 days to increase the volume and fine tune.

The new Advanced Bionics processor was delayed until March so I have a loaner of the slightly older product until then.  

Thought you all would appreciate this. Sounds weird but definitely hearing my dogs’ nails click-clack on wood floors and hearing coffee maker brewing although I didn’t know at first what I was hearing!! Excited for next audiology visit when she fine tuned the processor and turns up the volume a bit!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@KennyW

Terrific!  So many new sounds for our brains to figure out at the beginning!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@KennyW after being implanted for 4 years, the sound of my dog's nails clicking on the floor is still my favorite!! Enjoy 😁

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I have been recommended to have the OSIA implant for my left ear.  It was suggested that I do a trial for a non surgical option.  The MED-EL ADHEAR was what I was told to try. Does anyone know where in the lower mainland in BC Canada I could find it?

I was recommended for the OSIA implant for my left ear and was told to try a non- surgical option prior to surgery.  I live in the lower mainland BC Canada and am looking for anyone who offers a trial for the MED-EL ADHEAR

Thank you. I’m leaning towards the surgical option but am a little bit nervous about it

15 hours ago, Frederick said:

I was recommended for the OSIA implant for my left ear and was told to try a non- surgical option prior to surgery.  I live in the lower mainland BC Canada and am looking for anyone who offers a trial for the MED-EL ADHEAR

@Frederick we just replied to your message with the contact details of our Canada office. Our local team will be happy to help you :) Best, Verena 

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 2:10 PM, Mary Beth said:

@KennyW

Wishing you the very best on your journey!

My right ear was implanted first.  It had heard when I was younger but then spent 24 years not processing any sound following a surgery for Meniere’s.  I used to call it my dead ear.  Smile

I chose Med-El for their electrode array options.  The factor that impacts our hearing with CIs the most is the internal component of a cochlear implant.  The external processors and accessories change very rapidly.

Whichever brand you choose, I wish you the best.

Here is a link to a video of my CI journey in case you are interested.

Thank you so much for sharing this video with us. It really means alot to actually hear a voice of experience tell their story.

• 10 months later...

Cochlear implants (CIs) have been shown to benefit patients with single-sided deafness (SSD) in terms of tinnitus reduction, localization, speech understanding, and quality of life (QoL).some time my hear got pain in rainy dayCochlear implantation (CI) for single-sided deafness was firstly considered as a treatment to suppress severe tinnitus in adults, and, shortly after, binaural hearing re-establishment was considered as another benefit of this implantation on the single-sided hearing loss (3–5).Cochlear implants do not cure hearing loss or restore hearing, but they do provide an opportunity for the severely hard of hearing or deaf to perceive the sensation of sound by bypassing the damaged inner ear. Unlike hearing aids, they require surgical implantation.

for more visit

Expert recommended Dr Jambu Jain as a Top Endocrinologist in Bhopal,Best Diabetes Doctor in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh. Just because of Dr Jambu Jain patient reviews, history, ratings, satisfaction, trust, cost and their general excellence.