New Bonebridge Activation - sound quality and echoing?

Ashley

Hi all -

I wanted to see if what I am experiencing is normal or if you had any advice for me.

I got my Samba processor activated today for my BoneBridge device - exciting!  I have single-sided (left side) conductive hearing loss, so have one 'good' ear to compare sound quality to.

That being said, after a long appointment adjusting the settings of the processor, I feel as if the sound quality is still far from natural.  It sounds as if I'm hearing through a microphone or megaphone, with an echo-y quality of hearing something over loudspeakers like over an airplane announcement.  It may be that I'm comparing it to my 'good' side, but I wanted to see what I could expect over time, if I may adjust to the quality more.  I have a followup to readjust settings in a few weeks, but would move that sooner if it's just not improving.

I hear a lot of background noise as well, which feels very distracting - especially driving home in the car it sounded very static-y and loud.  

Any advice or guidance on expectations for adjusting to the device?

Thanks!

Hi Ashley,

The good news is that you are hearing on both sides! I found that, after activation, my world was loud! I found that I had to turn down the volume and I was constantly trying the different settings.  After a few days I found settings that worked. The processor sound is different. I initially found the processor sound to be digital/sharp whereas my good ear sound was more mellow/warm.  If found that these differences were a useful method to 'locate' sound. In my experience, it took a few months of 'learning how to hear' from my right side. It has been a most exciting journey. 

That said, it sounds like another visit with your audio will be useful. It may be helpful to explain what you are hearing for specific situations.  I am sure that some fine tuning will be most useful.

Good luck!

-Ross

• Like 2

@bluesidae

Ross,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  Good to know much of this is 'normal'.  

I'm curious if your adjustment to or your perception of the different qualities of sound between the processor and your 'good ear' changed much over time?

Thanks,

Ashley

I found that I had to learn to hear from my right side. The learning process was gradual. It probably took a couple of years!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I am somewhat disappointed with the audio quality of my samba2.   I have 3 pairs of bone conduction headphones and the Samba is inferior to all but one of them.   

my suspicion is the unit can perform very well, the limitation is the tuning of the unit.  Audiologists are expected to be experts on too many different devices,  bone conduction being a tiny  percentage of the  device’s they program.  

I am somewhat disappointed with the audio quality of my samba2.   I have 3 pairs of bone conduction headphones and the Samba is inferior to all but one of them.   

my suspicion is the unit can perform very well, the limitation is the tuning of the unit.  Audiologists are expected to be experts on too many different devices,  bone conduction being a tiny  percentage of the  device’s they program.  

• 1 year later...

I found the Samba 1 had some digital "artifacts", but IMHO the Samba 2 is very natural. The only time I ever notice anything out of the ordinary compared to my other ear is when it's extremely windy or I'm in a very loud concert (and I just turn it down until it sounds better)

Maybe I've just gotten lucky with my audiologists.