Soon to be bilateral or considering bilateral

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

Oh they don’t allow you to drive. You need to have someone pick you up and drive you home. Last time I was in recovery for almost 5 hours because I was so sick 👌

Thanks 😊 The first time I got my CI ear done, emotions bubbled to the surface that I had long forgotten about so I expect the same to happen this time. I’m sorry to hear you had a cancerous tumor and it wiped out your hearing. That’s a gift you don’t really remember it!!! I’m thrilled to hear you’ve been clear since then 😁 Definitely something to celebrate 🎉🥳

Hi everyone.  2 things that I saw in the comments -- some of you experienced dizzyness in the week(s) after surgery and someone mentioned that you need to sleep on non-surgical side for awhile.  Can someone expand on these things?  I'm meeting my doctor next week (but only for left side as I still have decent hearing in right ear).

Thanks.

• HearPeers Heroes

@KennyW

Wishing you the best at your appt.

Both of my CI surgeries were the easiest ear surgeries I have had.  No dizziness.  Minimal discomfort- just took Tylenol for a couple of days.  I hope you are as fortunate.

I slept in a recliner or in bed propped up on pillows for the first few nights to avoid swelling.

It was uncomfortable to sleep on my newly implanted side for awhile.  Then I figured out if I used my arm under the pillow it would place my implant area in the open space in the crook of my arm.

• HearPeers Heroes

@KennyW

I had vertigo the first 2 days and then it subsided. It didn’t last too long thank goodness. And yes, it was a while before I could sleep comfortably on my implanted side. It wasn’t sore but it was quite right. I too like Mary Beth, found that spot in between my elbow and pillow to lay on my implanted side without putting too pressure on the new implant. I also slept propped up on my back or side. I felt the pressure on my implant incision when I laid flat and it just felt weird. 

Good luck at your appointment! Keep us posted on how you do 😊

@KennyW,

I only had dizziness after like my fourth day;  but only because I felt a bit daring to get up and do stuff around the house because I was feeling good. 

Definitely rest for your first several days after surgery. And take baby steps. 

As for sleeping on your uninplanted side... You will more than likely feel some discomfort on your implanted side; the doctors, after all, do make an incision behind your ear.

So if you're a side sleeper, sleep on the opposite side than you got implanted on. After about a week, I could lie on the implanted side for a bit, but not long enough to sleep all night like that. 

Everybody is different. It is important to listen to your doctor and follow the discharge instructions. 

Most importantly, listen to your body; if it's telling you that something doesn't feel right, then chances are something's not right. 

I hope that all goes well. Keep us posted! 

Thank you @Megan L.

I know this is easier said than done, but try not to let those bad memories take over a good experience. 

It's true that I don't remeber much from my cancer treatment days, but there's other drama in my past that I have before let get in the way of something that should have been beautiful. It's not something I'm proud of. 

This is a wonderful experience, to be able to hear like we haven't before! 😊 Make it a pleasant one! 😘

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10 

You’re so right!! Thank you for the reminder 🤩 Just what I needed to hear/read. The first CI has been so rewarding and a second would bring balance and a boost as well as security if anything happened to my first CI. And so the mental preparation begins!! How are you doing being an ear down?? I watched tv in silence for a while week, no HA in my other ear 🤣 It was peaceful!

@Mary Beth my surgery has been scheduled for Monday 12/21 at 10am. I guess the right ear will be my Christmas present 🎁 And the left was my birthday present!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

YAY!  That is sooner than I thought!  Yay!

Your second CI will be a fabulous Christmas present!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth My surgeon had an opening in December 7th but I didn’t have a good feeling about that date so I opted for December 21 👍 I hope so! 🎁🎄

You're very welcome, @Megan L. 😘

It's what I do 😊

Honestly, it's not that much different without the other HA. I've always been told that there was nothing to be done about the dead ear because I guess everybody assumed that the surgery did too much damage to the nerve. Only for about four years I've been wearing bicros HAs, and the extra umph from the left ear to right did help some, but not much. So, it kinda feels like I'm back to my old HA days. 

Definitely had some trouble hearing others, going back to work today lol. 

My boss tried to surprise me with a welcome back gift, and I didn't hear her, so I jumped when i found her watching me from behind my back 😅

Congrats on your scheduled surgery date! Birthday and Christmas, that's cool

Expect great things! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10 Well the days of not hearing people are numbered! Get excited 🥳 

Hello hearing ppl!!! Get our attention from the front or side not from behind  🙄 That’s really nice though she tried to surprise you with a welcome back gift. What did you get? Where do you work? Hope your first day back ok 👍 

Thanks! My hearing anniversary is on Wednesday and my birthday is on the 24th so birthday and Christmas ears 🤩🥳🎉🎁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Megan L.,

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! 

I work at a nonprofit bakery/cafe; my boss focuses on hiring people with disabilities. 😉 I'm one of the bakers 🍪🍰🎂🍮

She brought me some flowers. My day was just that, okay. I always have trouble hearing others at work with all the background noise. For the next three weeks, it'll be difficult. 

Then i get activated, but gotta take out my other HA for several weeks. So that should be interesting. 

How long does it usually take for people to hear normal/semi-normal with a CI? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

Thank you!!! 😁

What’s the name of the bakery? Would love to look it up. My dad is a baker by trade, he went AIB in Chicago. He works for AB Mauri Fleischmann’s. So I come for a baking family!!! I used to make pizza dough back when my parents owned a bakery in NJ 😁 What’s your specialty bake? 

Sounds like you have a wonderful boss 👍 Flowers are always lovely! Don’t let the quiet bother you. Before you know it, it will be loud and lively!!!

Everyone’s journey different. It could be weeks or a few months. And everyone’s normal sounds different. Definitely challenge your ear and do as much rehab as possible no matter how frustrating or uncomfortable it sounds. It will force the ear to adjust. Be patient and consistent 👍 

@Megan L.,

That's pretty cool! 

The bakery is Sprinkles of Hope in Maysville, KY. My boss is pretty great! 😍

I don't really have a signature bake. I love baking bread, but we don't do that here; the closest thing to bread, that we make here, would be our cinnamon rolls.

I love to bake at home! My dad always requests my tres leches cake and flan, when he's not dieting lol

Thank you for that advice. My doctor never mentioned anything to me about rehab, so i don't really know what that consists of, but I suppose I will find out when I get activated. I already have appointments set until the end of next year. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.and @tmscarlett10

Your posts are making me hungry!  Smile 

Tiffany- Everyone’s journey from activation on is so unique there is no “average”.  It is going to be amazing!

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

Oh my goodness!! I found the YouTube of your bakery and SO AMAZING 🤩 I love it, I would totally visit if I lived closer and the baked goods look yummy 😋 

My dad’s specialty is sweet dough and cake goods not so much bread. I’ve never had tres leche cake but it looks so delicious. It’s very hard to diet when there’s a baker in the house!!!!! I know that all too well. 

We have an awesome rehab section here in HPs, definitely check that out. I will be visiting that section shortly to see what been added and what I used the first time to get an idea. 

Since the holidays are coming up, maybe we should all share one of our favorite recipes to get into the holiday spirit and try something new???

Thank you @Mary Beth,

I know that everybody is different, I just don't know what to expect. I would love for things at work to get better, as far as my hearing, because I'm expected - despite the hearing impairment - to be involved in conversations and small talk, in order to "keep the peace". It really makes things difficult. 

@phobos512, we don't really ship, but I probably could do that. I've done it only once for my grandmother in Florida. I don't know what cheddar biscuits you are referring to though, because we don't have those where I work. You may be looking at a different location under the same name; we are in Maysville, Kentucky... https://m.facebook.com/SprinklesofHopeInc/ . Let me know if there is something that you would like, and where you are located, so that I could make the necessary arrangements.  😙

@Megan L., my obsession at Sprinkles is definitely our Oreo cheesecakes 😄. But everything pumpkin lately is also on my favorites list (scones, snickerdoodles, cheesecakes, cupcakes, cookies). I don't think I've ever made sweet bread, but omg that stuff is delicious, must be ten times better homemade! 

I like the idea of sharing favorite holiday recipes. I made panettone last year, pretty tricky actually; it turned out okay for my first time, but store-bought would beat it lol. I'll think of something. 

And I will definitively have to check out the rehab section on here; I didn't even know we had that. Thanks! 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

My mom would LOVE the Oreo cheesecake! I'm more of a Reese's or anything peanut butter/chocolate combo. Its that time of year for pumpkin!! All those pumpkin things you mentioned sound very festive and delish 😋 haha sweet bread is the perfect combo - bread + sweet 😂 

They made panettone on the Great British Baking Show the other day! If I hadn't watched it, I wouldn't know what it was. Thats awesome it turned out well the first time. Always the best when a tricky receipt turns out well! 

Hear Peers is a big place! We have a lot actually....hopefully there's something you can use in the rehab section. I remember doing the kiddie listening exercises where they would say a fruit or vegetable and you'd have to put it in the shopping cart 🤣 It was great for getting started since I couldn't do anything complex!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10 the November 6th post from your link there shows cheddar biscuits. Gimme! LOL. I was jonesing a bit but we stopped by one of our local bakeries last night, the one that makes a Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich on a cheddar biscuit, and grabbed a bunch. I had one for breakfast. Yum.

I have a fantastic waffle recipe. It's not mine, I found it online, but it is fantastic. You just have to be comfortable making meringue, or at least the hard part of beating egg whites to firm peaks. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/02/sunday-brunch-the-greatest-waffle-recipe-ever.html

P.S. Serious Eats. Yes. I have been a follower of this site for years and years.

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

I am going to have to try that waffle recipe!

Have you tried Norwegian waffles?

http://thecoffeebreaker.blogspot.com/2012/06/norwegian-heart-shaped-waffles-vafler.html?m=1

• Like 1

@Megan L., My grandma would buy it for us when I was a kid. A major brands is Bauducco by Buddy the Cake Boss; find it at Walmart closer to Christmas. 

I love that show, but haven't watched it in a while; definitely want to see that episode with the panettone. 

And, yeah, I need to take some time to browse around this website. Looks like a lot of great stuff on here! 😊

@phobos512thank you so much for that recipe. I just need to buy a waffle maker now 😆   I have been wanting one forever anyway, love waffles! 

And also, I just saw that post you mentioned. I was out that week for my surgery, so I didn't know lol. My bad. I can ask about them. 😉

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10 We have an All-Clad wafflemaker that my parents gifted us last Christmas. I swear I put the one with the removable plates so they can go in the dishwasher but alas, we got the one without. It's not too big a deal though. I will say with the recipe I posted our wafflemaker has to be cranked to 6/7 on the heat dial. They come out perfect this way. I was very conservative initially with the heat but found the only way to get the crisp exterior was to crank it. If you prefer a softer exterior then that could be fine though.

@Mary Beth I will check out that recipe. Thanks!

Ok, I checked it out. Probably will have to try some. Dunno about that coffee business though. Only espresso in our house. Butit'sbeensinceJanuarythatI'vehadanysoIbetanylittlebitwillmakemetalkreallyfastandbounceoffthewallshahahahahahahahahaha

:)

• Haha 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Real quick update, this has been a crazy busy day. I was activated today on my left. So far so good. As with my right my audi is pumping the power for me more than one would typically expect. It's a bit disorienting as now I've got the higher pitched sound in my left ear and the more normal sounding sound in my right. It really puts into stark contrast just how far my right ear has come in these few short months. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like the left at this time is having the same benefit to my tinnitus as the right did, so that's a little bit of a bummer. I'm hopeful that specifically will change over time. We shall see...