Soon to be bilateral or considering bilateral

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

Great start.  The tinnitus may quiet.  Mine did.  I hope you are as fortunate.

• Like 1

I hope that will change over time, for you too. 

Try to keep high spirits! 😊

• Like 2

On 11/10/2020 at 12:26 PM, phobos512 said:

@tmscarlett10 You'll totally ship stuff frozen for a friend right? I need some of those cheddar biscuits. Mm... 😁

Btw, @phobos512,

We actually use the Red Lobster box mix for those biscuits 😅

I think you can buy it at Walmart

But, if you need something a little more grab-n'-go, I wouldn't mind sending you any 😊

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth So far so good. I'm on program three now of the original four, I switched yesterday morning. Have some speech recognition now (I can understand for example our automated teleconference line prompts no problem with just my left ear). I haven't had much opportunity to practice strictly with my left ear with all that's going on and I know I need to make time to do that. Probably should just get up earlier and do it in the mornings before my meetings kickoff each day.

Initially I think I said here, or if not I know I did at least in real life, that implant number two was actually hurting my comprehension, but I think I've arrived at where it's starting to help now so that's good.

• Like 2

@phobos512, sounds like you're doing pretty well with your second implant.

I am sure that time will tell what permanent effects this will have on you, your hearing, and your life 😊

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

Yes at first it is a step backward but then it becomes great.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512 so interesting you said that at first it hurt your comprehension....what made you think that? I'm curious! No one has mentioned that yet about their 2nd CI. I know that your brain is getting extra information that is not clear on one side so you'd think that it'd just be extra sound going in but clear on the other side....glad you are doing better now!

Did your little man come yet?! :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L. The right CI ear has been dominant since about the third follow-up and immediately after left surgery it was all I had of course, but my residual recovered a little in my left after a few weeks (though to be fair it seems to be fading already again). But with my CI on I couldn't tell there was anything on my left. With the hearing aid after the surgery there was a concept of sound but really it wasn't helpful. Upon activation there was input again but as you know it was electronic sounding and distorted and this was actually able to detected even with my right CI on, so my brain was fighting for comprehension a bit I'll say. It's much improved already though.

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512 I see. Did your audiologist recommend a specific amount of time to forgo the right CI in order to get the left CI up to speed? My audiologist told me for my first one not to wear my HA at all for 2 months. I think I wound up putting my HA in after 3 months. Did your audiologist have any ideas on how to get both CIs to work together and not have a dominant one? I feel like hearing ppl have a favorite ear but overall both ears work together and not one dominant, one following. Glad its improving quickly!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

When I received my second CI, my audiologist suggested 2 hours a day minimum of new CI side only and the rest of the day bilateral CIs.

I trained the new side separately at first to get it started.  Then I added in training both sides together.  In CLIX I created different user names.... right, left, bilateral so I could keep track separately.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.
At a minimum an hour a day was recommended. I can't say I have been meeting that between everything going on lately but now that we'll be home for a while with the little one I will be more easily able to practice because I can just listen while I have him with me and mom is napping.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth how long did you train the new side before training both sides together? Wondering what worked for you. Thanks for the ideas with Clix! I didn't think of creating separate profiles. I'm super happy I was able to redownload Clix after 4 years of not using :) 

@phobos512 good luck with training the new ear! I'm sure your little man will be a good assistant while you practice ;) 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.  I started adding bilateral training after the second side made some progress.  I’ll check my journal.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth obviously what you did worked! Thats my goal to have both ears working together at the same speed as opposed to now - left ear dominant leading the way and the right ear hanging out and following.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

I did not comment on when I started bilateral training in my journal.  I did listen bilaterally all day at work and then listen only with the new side at home at first.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth thanks for checking your glorious journal :)  I will do as I did before with rehab on the new side and also rehab both sides together when the time comes. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I think I spent more time than I should have training the two sides individually.  I thought that if I got each side working really well that they would work well together, but it's really a separate way to hear and needs training with both.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Had first post activation follow-up today for my left and adjusted the right some as well. Also did some time in the booth. I feel like the word list today was a little less complex than that used for initial qualification, but it's still some kind of diagnostic tool and Dr. Rooney was pretty happy with the results. Ended up with 64% correct in my left ear and 88% correct in my right ear. Didn't do together.

With the implant I'm clocking about a 25-30 dBHL in my left ear and a 20 dBHL in my right ear with tones.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512 & @Mary Featherston I see you are both HP Heroes now! Yay 🥳

It sounds like you're off to a great start with both ears separately Matt 👍 I'm sure when tested together the results will be awesome. Is your little man being a good rehab assistant or is he sleeping on the job? 😆🦻

• HearPeers Heroes
On 12/14/2020 at 12:16 PM, Megan L. said:

@phobos512 & @Mary Featherston I see you are both HP Heroes now! Yay 🥳

It sounds like you're off to a great start with both ears separately Matt 👍 I'm sure when tested together the results will be awesome. Is your little man being a good rehab assistant or is he sleeping on the job? 😆🦻

That all depends on what kind of mood he's in. If he's recently eaten then he can be a helper, but if he's cranky, well, let's just say I don't need to learn how to hear him crying. He has a powerful set of lungs this little one, and he uses them. But this afternoon he was sitting peacefully in my lap while I listened to YouTube (Natural Particle Accelerators on SciShow).

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512 awww I love how he smiles while he’s asleep! So cute. Sounds like overall he’s a good assistant 👍 

• Like 1

An experience late last night really cemented the decision to go bilateral for me. It was late at night and I've already taken my CI and hearing aid off. My better half needed to talk to me and I put on my hearing aid as it was right next to me and the CI was in another room.  I was really shocked at the difference and realized how much information my brain is missing with just the hearing aid. The CI is doing a much better job and is much better for speech recognition.

I guess the only thing in the way now is Covid. I'll likely wait for that to settle down a bit before I go through the CI process again.