Soon to be bilateral or considering bilateral

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersailย 

It really is shocking the difference between the CI and the HA. My CI is doing such a good job that my HA ear is just hanging out - it no longer recognizes the low battery beeps. I'm going next Monday for my 2nd CI. It's not ideal time with COVID but it's good in terms of being able to work from home at the moment. For me, I wanted the safety of a 2nd CI if the 1st one failed. I realized working from home how much I rely on my CI for phone calls, zoom calls etc. I couldn't do my job without. So thankful for my CI ๐Ÿ˜ย 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Megan L. said:

@Watersailย 

It really is shocking the difference between the CI and the HA. My CI is doing such a good job that my HA ear is just hanging out - it no longer recognizes the low battery beeps. I'm going next Monday for my 2nd CI. It's not ideal time with COVID but it's good in terms of being able to work from home at the moment. For me, I wanted the safety of a 2nd CI if the 1st one failed. I realized working from home how much I rely on my CI for phone calls, zoom calls etc. I couldn't do my job without. So thankful for my CI ๐Ÿ˜ย 

This, exactly.ย  I'd be lost under COVID rules if I hadn't been implanted, and I'm amazed, daily, how well I can hear on Teams calls.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Its crazy isnโ€™t it?! I guess for so long it was a struggle to understand people let alone on the phone...and now every time a zoom meeting or a Teams phone call goes well and all is understood, itโ€™s like, โ€œWOW!โ€ It amazes me every time ๐Ÿฆป๐Ÿ˜Š

• Like 4

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

All the best with your surgery next week!ย 

I agree with you and @Mary Featherston. I don't know where I would be now or how I'd manage if I didn't have my CI. It makes such a difference! And although I sometimes can't make out what people are saying if they are wearing a mask, I'm pleasantly surprised at all the times when I don't have a problem.ย 

Even now people think that if they don't have their video on when we are on a Teams call then I won't know what is being said. I don't make them any wiser. My CI makes it all possible.ย 

Which processor(s) will you be getting @Megan L.?ย 

• Like 2

Good morning.ย  I received my first implant in 2011 and am scheduled to receive my second next month.ย My original processor was the Opus but I upgraded to the Sonnet about 5 years ago.ย  With my second implant the processor will be the Sonnet 2.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Thank you! I just went to the doctor for pre surgery clearance, now I need the COVID19 test on Friday. My nerves are kicking in! ๐Ÿ˜‚ I chose 2 new Sonnet 2 so each ear would have a new processor.

The CI is a handy tool especially in work from home situations. Teams is such an interesting app haha. If your team is like mine they randomly call! Definitely donโ€™t let them catch on that you know what theyโ€™re saying video on or off ๐Ÿ‘ thatโ€™dย ruin your fun!

@Lynda best wishes on your surgery next month! Where are you getting your 2nd one done?

@Megan L.Thank you Megan.ย  Here in Ontario Canada we only have 5 locations, all hospitals (2 children's hospitals and 3 hospitals for adults).ย  I had my first one done at the Ottawa Hospital and will be there again for my second one.

ย 

ย 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

welcome to HearPeers! Congratulations on your upcoming second CI. ย You and @Megan L.ย will be on similar timelines for second CIs!

ย 

@Megan L. ย Will be thinking of you A LOT as your surgery date approaches!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

Iโ€™m getting mine done at Johns Hopkins in Maryland. Keep us posted ๐Ÿ˜Š and thank you for the luck ๐Ÿ€

@Mary Beth

Thank you!!!! Appreciate it! You know I will update you & the crewย as soon as I can ๐Ÿคฉย 

• Like 3

Hey all!

Sorry I've been away for a while! I tried to log in several times, and it seemed like the website was down or something, it was really weird. Then I got busy lol, and forgot to try again.

So, looking at these updates, @phobos512, so glad your therapy is going well; it seems that both your CIs are pretty in sync with one another.

@Megan L., good luck on Monday! Just enjoy the weekend, and mentally prepare. โค๏ธ

Also, welcome @Lynda!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Bethย thank you! ย Iโ€™mย hoping too for a very easy recovery ๐Ÿคž stay tuned....

ย 

@tmscarlett10ย the site did go down and it was really strange! Thank you for the luck ๐Ÿ€ Iโ€™m trying to wrap everything up so I can just hang out next week ๐Ÿ‘ how are you? Any news?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10 Yeah the site was down for a portion of a day; it seems now to be running a different version of the forum software or something like that (the favicon has changed). Things are going well. Haven't had any synchronicity challenges, though I'll say now after a few days with the adjustments the left is still quieter, though it's closer (and I have progressive maps to work with again).

@Megan L. Wishing you the best for tomorrow, hope everything goes smoothly.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512ย thank you Matt!! Iโ€™m hoping the same ๐Ÿคž I will update when I can ๐Ÿฆป

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
On 10/22/2020 at 6:41 AM, tmscarlett10 said:

@Megan L.and @Mary Featherston,ย 

I cannot agree more on the issue that audiologists have about residual hearing. I think it is safe to say that most people who are eligible for a CI - or not yet eligible, but still wanting one - have little to no concern with what is left, but what they can gain.

In my case, I have one dead ear that we do not know yet whether or not is implantable; but we are going along as planned to implant it next thursday, and give it a shot.

However, with myย other ear, that I believe has moderate sensorineuralย hearing loss, and is eligible, but only because of the dead ear; they don't want to implant that one in fear of losing what "good" amount of hearing is left... even after I said that I do not care if all of my residual hearing is lost in place of the implant!

Only if the first implant does not work will we "consider" the other ear. What is there to consider?! I can barely hear, I can't understand anything, and HAs don't help!ย 

I'm sorry, I had to vent a bit...

ย 

Anyway, so related to all of this bilateral conversation, if somehow I could get bilateral implants, is it more beneficial to get them together, or at separate times? My doctor said that he would rather do two separate to keep from a longer surgery time, but I want to hear from others.

LOL I have a similar frustration with my ENT! They were so concerned about the risk to my residual hearing and expected me to feel the same but I did not care one little bit. It was not at all functional so what did I have to lose? Then after the surgery they excitedly told me that I had retained much of it, and I told them I didn't care (or more polite words to that effect) and they acted like I cursed! It was funny and confusing ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello HPs Crew ๐Ÿ˜ Sending an update here. Hope everyone who celebrates had a wonderful Christmas ๐ŸŽ„๐ŸŽ…

Surgery went good on Monday, YAY. The anesthesiologist gave me a TON of anti nausea medicine and adjusted a few other things, so I felt pretty good after surgery. I did throw up 2x in recovery but just a little. This time has been a complete 180 from the first CI. But still taking it easy!! Activation is set for January 11 ๐Ÿฆป Maybe Iโ€™ll be switched on for our January coffee chat ๐Ÿค“ wouldnโ€™t that be fun?!

• Like 4

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

ย 

YAY! ย I will plan the January HP chat forย after your activation!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi HPs Crew! Yesterday was activation and it was really funny ๐Ÿคฃ I'm currently living in a cartoon.ย Everyone/everything sounds cartoonish like Mickey & Minnie with some wind chimes. I can hear words and music but they sound like someone sucked in a bunch of helium ๐Ÿ˜† Hopefully by the end of the week the cartoon sounds will subside a little bit ๐ŸคžAnd Matt (I think this is you?? Are you trying to confuse us?!)ย @polyesternapkinstowawayย I see what you mean about the new ear hurting comprehension a little bit. I definitely found myself slightly confused yesterday at times and especially when I was talking with my cousin on the phone. But overall its very different the 2nd time around from my 1st activation, not in a bad way but in a really funny way.

I also got a loaner processor since my activation kit went to Bethesda for my surgery and I was activated in Baltimore. Next Friday I'll get my kit. Until then I'm rocking the nordic grey sonnet 2 ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

So terrific! ย Yay! ย So much WOWness is coming your way over the next few months!

Now that you have both the Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2, may I ask you a few questions? ย Smileย 

Do you notice a difference in the disposable battery packs?

Does your Sonnet 2 have the new mic cover that is easy to replace?

Do you notice a difference in the cable covering?

What connectivity options were you given in your activation kit?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Bethย 

I'm looking forward to it ๐Ÿ˜ Should be interesting to compare this time vs. last time's hearing journey and then of course hearing in stereo!'

Ask away MB!!!

The disposable battery packs look exactly the same as the Sonnet 1 except that its more obvious on the side where to push in order to remove the pack from the processor. There is a stripe going down the side so you know where to push with your thumb.ย 

I think so - it has a square on it and it looks like you don't need to remove the hook. I haven'tย tried it yet though on the Sonnet 2. The covers I ordered back in May have the squares onย them too and I noticed when I changed my Sonnet 1 mic cover a month ago, it was difficult to get off...more so than before. I always take the ear hook off because I don't want to break that while trying to get the old mic cover off.ย 

The cable covering looks the same as the Sonnet 1 ๐Ÿ‘

I was offered the Roger and the Audiolink back in October and then yesterday my audiologist said I could get the Artone 3 if I wanted that instead of the Audiolink. He said that the Artone 3 was supposed to be better for bimodal but you gave it good reviews. I'm so hesitant about the Audiolink, no one seems to be able to get it to work the way it was intended ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

ย 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

Med-El US is promoting the Artone 3 as a way for bimodalย ย users to stream to both their HA & CI. ย Anyone can use the Artone as long as they have telecoil. ย So we can use the Artone with OPUS2, Rondo 1, Sonnet 1, Rondo 2 (have the link monitoring features turned off to avoid a ticking sound when on T),ย Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 (Rondo 3 needs to have the telecoil adapter plugged onto the port.)

ย 

I have both the AudioLink and the Artone. ย I use the Artone because it sounds better and works much better for me.

ย 

However the Artone can be purchased online for $129. ย The AudioLink costs $650. ย So if you think you may want to test out both, itโ€™s better to select the AudioLink in the kit. ย If you are not interested in testing out the AudioLink, thatโ€™s another matter.

ย 

Any chance your audiologist has an AudioLink for you to test out at an appt? ย When Med-El hosted events before the pandemic we could test out the AudioLink at the event.

ย 

I wish AudioStream was a connectivity option for you.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Bethย 

I figured the Artone is a step up from my old Quattro. I tried it yesterday and it wasnโ€™t terrible so I imagine the sound quality is even better with the Artone.ย 
ย 

After so much feedback on the audiolink, Iโ€™m not even sure I want to test it out. It might be aggravating ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ Iโ€™ll have to ask my audiologist next visit if he has one to test- I kinda doubt it because I feel like he would have said something.ย 
ย 

Me too! But you know Iโ€™m going to try and get it either way ๐Ÿคฉ It would be nice though if it was an option to trade out of our activation kit ๐Ÿ‘

• HearPeers Heroes

@Megan L.

When I tried theArtone back in 2016, I immediately donated both of my Quattro 4 neckloops! ย Now I have several Artone neckloops and use it everyday.

• Like 2