Rondo 3 thoughts

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

EDITED on 11/18/2020 after learning that Rondo 3 battery life is now being stated as “over 18 hours” instead of “up to 24 hours”.  This was disappointing.  We also heard that a lot of streaming can reduce Rondo 3 battery life by 20%.

I have spent a lot of time lately pondering which processor to choose as my next processor.

I have decided on Rondo 3.  Thank you to all of the happy Rondo 2 users for your posts.  It really made me consider choosing the Rondo family.

Many people who are fortunate to have both Sonnet 1 or 2 and Rondo 2 processors have commented about choosing to use Rondo 2 except in noise where the dual mics of Sonnets are helpful. So many people have chosen this same thing.  Now that Rondo 3 has dual mics and uses the same adaptive intelligence as Sonnet 2 (ASM3), it should perform just as well in noise as Sonnet 2.  There will be no need to switch.

At first the lack of an internal telecoil in Rondo 3 gave me pause.  But then I saw a picture of the telecoil adapter and learned that our audiologists can set up a telecoil only program.  This relieved my concerns about being able to use my beloved Artone neckloop on 100/0 mix ratio.

I look forward to trying the AudioLink with Rondo 3 and hope it works well.

I am thankful for the increased battery life of Rondo 3 (up to 24 hours).  (See EDIT at top) And the ability to charge it while wearing it if needed.  And very happy that an indicator light will let me know remaining battery life.

I like the new secure attachment brackets.  Still not a fan of a small alligator clip for hair attachments but think I can swap that out with a clip.

I love the look of Rondo 3.  Smile 

I am thankful that Rondo 3 can use an app as a remote.  That’s convenient.

I still wish for direct streaming of all phone audio to Rondo 3 and hope that something similar to the Sonnet 1 & 2 AudioStream cover is in the plans for Rondo 3.  It could plug into the port just like the telecoil adapter.

Thank you Med-El  @MED-EL Moderator for all of the cool features of Rondo 3.

As soon as ASM 3 is FDA approved, I can not wait to upgrade to Rondo 3 and experience adaptive intelligence.

It is really exciting to have all these new tech features available.  It makes my CI journey so exciting!

Good choice as i m Rondo 2 user for almost 19 months, i think its better to skip on Rondo 2 as you already know there's so many advantages of Rondo 3. Hope you get it soon and update us.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you @Salik

It may be awhile before I get Rondo 3. I prefer to wait until ASM 3 is available here in the US.  It has been available in other countries ever since Sonnet 2 was released.  I want to experience Rondo 3 the way it was designed to work optimally.... using ASM 3.  

Although Sonnet 2 also is designed to work with ASM 3, in the US it is using ASM 2 since ASM 3 has not been approved by the FDA yet.

Rondo 3 release in the US is expected before the end of the year but it is being released using ASM 2.  

So I will wait until ASM 3 is released in the US.  It’s hard to wait because I am excited about Rondo 3.  I hope the wait will not be too long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Mary Beth I saw my audiologists Fri and next year I’m due due for my 5 yr upgrade, for my right side but two years  later I’m due for the upgrade on left side as we talk it was decided to wait the extra two years and replace both at same time and as we discuss the various options who knows what will be improved on by then or even Rondo 4.

My biggest improvement with the hearing test was with understanding with background noise I was so impressed and happy as for a long while I’ve been working on this I could tell I had issues with this and it has been conquered with patience and persistence 

This really an ever field of advanced technology and how time flies.

I am so happy going bilateral and having WOW moments although I don’t experience them as often lately .

I encourage anyone who qualifies for bilateral to go for it the few days of being inconvenient  With surgery is worth a lifetime of hearing 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

Congratulations on your improvement with speech understanding in noise!  That is terrific!

I decided to delay my upgrade until both sides were eligible too.  Then going forward, they will be on the same upgrade schedule.

Yes processors and features and accessories are changing quite rapidly.  There will always be something new coming along.  Smile

• HearPeers Heroes

EDITED on 11/18/2020 after learning that Rondo 3 battery life is now being stated as “over 18 hours” instead of “up to 24 hours”.  This was disappointing.  We also heard that a lot of streaming can reduce Rondo 3 battery life by 20%.

Yes Mary Beth I agree as I stated in the virtual chat my conversation with Phonak and Roger Pen about the 25-30 % battery power is taken, it had me thinking about Rondo ,3 my Rondo2 doesn’t last me during the dayI am up about 18 hrs every day.

I may reconsider Sonnet 2 instead although time is our side as far a upgrades go 

Thoughts from others 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

Your Rondo 2 battery is only getting 18 hours even if you do not use the Roger Pen and Roger MyLink neckloop receiver?

@Mary Beth

To be more precise it’s 15-18 hrs with Roger I don’t have neck loop.

I have Roger on 24/7 

Makes no difference if I use any brand of disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

I’m a little confused.  I apologize for so many questions and I thank you for sharing your experience.  

You know that I am concerned about battery life in Rondo 3 because I do not ever reach the top hours reported.  Others do.  It’s just what happens to me and rechargeable batteries.  I’m fine with that but it is a huge factor for me in upgrade processor choice.

Rondo 2 - you are not using Roger with it because you do not have the Roger MyLink neckloop.  Right?  You are getting between 15-18 hours of use with your Rondo 2.  That is lower than what most other people are reporting.  Has it always lasted between 15-18 hours for you or did it start off lasting longer?

Roger receivers drain processor batteries (and hearing aid batteries).  The use of 2.4 receivers is a drain on batteries.  This is true also for AudioLink and AudioStream.  There is an additional drain on the processor batteries.

Telecoil has a much lower drain on processor batteries. So using telecoil with the Artone neckloop or with the Roger MyLink neckloop or in a looped room/theater does not result in a significant change in battery life.  Which is fabulous for me because I love the Artone BT neckloop and stream audio every day for hours.

@Mary Beth

A while ago I had a conversation with Phonak customer Representative about battery life and Roger as she stated I can’t comment on other vendors but it was that not bad hours of usage.

She also stated you geographical terrain can have effect on batteries 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

What are you using to connect Rondo 2 to the Roger Pen? 

I don't have anything to connect the two and so I just use Rondo 2 solely. Only a few times I've used it with the Artone. And I get over 20 hours with my Rondo 2 once I use it alone. 

@Jewel

No the talk was about the shorten battery life of Rondo 3 it’s approx 18 hrs vs 24hrs as previously discussed 

My Rondo2 and Roger are two separate operations 0

On 11/18/2020 at 11:41 PM, Jewel said:

@Dave in Pittsburgh

What are you using to connect Rondo 2 to the Roger Pen? 

I don't have anything to connect the two and so I just use Rondo 2 solely. Only a few times I've used it with the Artone. And I get over 20 hours with my Rondo 2 once I use it alone. 

i have never got 20hrs alone, i used to get 18 hrs but now its 17hrs and 10/15mins. i think battery life after one year has gone down or maybe its that m calling n talking more on the cellphone.

On 11/18/2020 at 7:58 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Dave in Pittsburgh

I’m a little confused.  I apologize for so many questions and I thank you for sharing your experience.  

You know that I am concerned about battery life in Rondo 3 because I do not ever reach the top hours reported.  Others do.  It’s just what happens to me and rechargeable batteries.  I’m fine with that but it is a huge factor for me in upgrade processor choice.

Rondo 2 - you are not using Roger with it because you do not have the Roger MyLink neckloop.  Right?  You are getting between 15-18 hours of use with your Rondo 2.  That is lower than what most other people are reporting.  Has it always lasted between 15-18 hours for you or did it start off lasting longer?

Roger receivers drain processor batteries (and hearing aid batteries).  The use of 2.4 receivers is a drain on batteries.  This is true also for AudioLink and AudioStream.  There is an additional drain on the processor batteries.

Telecoil has a much lower drain on processor batteries. So using telecoil with the Artone neckloop or with the Roger MyLink neckloop or in a looped room/theater does not result in a significant change in battery life.  Which is fabulous for me because I love the Artone BT neckloop and stream audio every day for hours.

its a disappointment to know they have mentioned over 18 hrs of rondo 3 battery life instead of 24 hrs, i was really excited and happy for this longer battery life compare to my Rondo 2. I hope i can upgrade my Rondo 2 battery to over 18 hrs or 24 hrs. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

I am disappointed about the reduced Rondo 3 battery life too.  I will definitely need to have a way to keep it powered while listening on long days.  I am not sure if I want to carry two charged power packs plus the two special cables or carry around two mini battery packs with disposable batteries.  The mini battery pack cables are very light and I could wear them under my shirt without having power packs heat up against skin.  I am still thinking this through.  I felt much better about the up to 24 hours.

My CI center is 2-processor center meaning I have 2 set of Sonnets so if I choose Rondo3 on up grade do I get 2 sets of Rondo and if I do the battery issues wouldn’t come in play as back up  Rondo  more convenient to carry with you instead of sonnets .

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

In the US, CI centers that are two processor centers let us choose two processors connected to each CI surgery.  But when we upgrade, our insurance plans approve one processor per side.

The great benefits of going to a two processor center for surgery are that we start off always having a back up processor and if we are interested we can get one off the ear processor and one behind the ear processor to find out which we prefer.

I am thankful that NYEE is a two processor center.  My back up processors have come in handy.  And I discovered how awesome waterwear covers are with Rondo processors.  I have also been able to use my Rondos during the pandemic while wearing face masks.  I have come to love the one piece off the ear processors.

Sorry to ask, but what is ASM?

i too want rondo 3, so I’m watching research and details here.   Thank you

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lori m

corrected on 11/24

ASM is Automatic Sound Management.  

In the US,

OPUS2, Rondo 1 and Rondo 2 are using ASM 1 (They also each have 1 omni mic.). I am wearing my Rondo 1 and loving it.

Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2  are using ASM 2 (They also each have 2 mics with various mic setting options including omni, natural, adaptive and auto adaptive.)

In some other countries Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 are using ASM 3 which Med-El calls adaptive intelligence features.  

In the US, ASM 3 is not yet FDA approved so Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 are presently using ASM 2 in the US.

Link to info on ASM 3

https://blog.medel.pro/sonnet-2-audio-processor/

• 4 weeks later...

hi Mary Beth, I just got a stronger magnet so today I started using the Rondo 3 -- already I can say that I'm happy that I have 2 processors to choose from. For some reason I can't get it to pair with my audio link but I'm sure I get that straightened out. I'll update you with my thoughts on it after using it for a while 

• 7 months later...

Hello

where is the off switch on the rondo 3?
do we know yet if there are good options with rondo 3 to attach it to hair?

thank you

lori