Has anyone experienced re-implantation?

Bill

I have bilateral Advanced Bionics [AB] implants, one implanted in 2017 and the second in 2018. The implants were subject to a recall by AB in 2019 and it appears now that both of mine have been compromised and probably should be replaced. Since both implants will be replaced it seems I have an opportunity to consider a change of implant vendors. I am curious if anyone with one or more Med-El implants has had occasion to go through re-implantation surgery, either a re-implantation of Med-El with Med-El or AB or Cochlear with Med-El.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bill

I am sorry this is happening to you.  There are a few people in CI facebook groups who presently have one side with AB and one side with Med-El .  I do not believe anyone in our HearPeers forum has posted about that.

I have bilateral Med-El CIs.  They are amazing and have changed my life.

Will you have both reimplantations during one surgery?

Thanks for your speedy reply, Beth. I did not have high expectations about finding someone who had been through a re-implantation, but I thought it worth a try. 

Yes, my understanding is that the surgery to replace both will be done in a single event. I learned in my conversation with the surgeon that the Med-El electrode is not inserted in the same scala as Cochlear's and AB's electrode. I did not get the impression that this would be a problem, but I had not been aware of the difference before. I do not know if there have been many re-implantations where the path of the electrode differed the second time around. I did place an inquiry about that on the Med-El website.

Thanks for tagging us @Mary Beth

@Bill welcome the the HearPeers forum! Have you already been in touch with your local MED-EL team about your questions? If you want, we can get you in touch with your local clinical support team. Just send us your contact details and we can get you in touch. 

Best regards from MED-EL HQ in Austria

Verena

I did try contacting Med-El through a message on their web site but have heard nothing. I am not willing to publish my 'details' on the forum.