November HearPeers Virtual Coffee Chat

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Everybody. Can’t quite see Mt. Fuji in this photo from Saturday, but it’s there in the distance. Nice sunset nonetheless, I think. Will send another once the peak is covered in snow. A classic. Cheers! 

F83F1667-F39C-4C34-ACE1-51F9C16EAF4F.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Joan.

Yes, my wife does indeed accompany me on visits to the audiologists. It can be very helpful, especially for admin issues. But in most cases it just adds another layer of complexity. Think of explaining a problem to a friend, who then explains the problem to another friend using a foreign language, who then proposes a solution, which your friend then has to translate back into your language and then explain it to you. Now imagine using medical terminology, which can be especially difficult to explain even in one’s one native language. It can be a rather cumbersome process, and in the end no one is really sure what everyone else was trying to say. Especially so if, after all that, the CI continues to produce mostly !@#$%! garble! ...I’m sure we’ll sort it all out in the end, so no worries. But in the meantime, you just gotta pack a little extra patience. Look forward to seeing you at the next chat!

Best,
Kirk

@Kirk S. Pleased to hear that you are now home. Fingers crossed 🤞 with your new audiologist. 

Love to see those sunsets!!

See you in the next chat.

@Kirk S. you gotta pack a LOT of extra patience! Given your circumstances, I can sure understand your frustration, especially with that !@#*#@! garble. Fingers crossed you’ll be able to travel to see an audiologist in the states before your patience runs dry!
See you on the 15th!

@Mary Beth I'm also interested can I join? If you allow me to join it will be my first! I will manage to join although it will be late at night in my place!🙂

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Most definitely @Nischal Koirala!

In a moment look at the top menu and select the mail icon.  I am sending you a message !

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
Hi Mary Beth. 

How are you? I hope all is going well. I’m sure everyone in the States must be on edge with this insane election. Americans are tough; this, too, will pass...

I promised to give you an update on my new mapping session, which took place yesterday. As expected, it did not go particularly well. But we did learn some important stuff and the long term prognosis is good, so no worries.

I’ll spare you the details, but the audiologists ran a bunch of tests and determined that my right-side CI is functioning properly on a technical level, but is not delivering any particularly useful, recognizable sound from the cochlea to the brain. 

Apparently this is because the low and mid tones in my “good” left ear are in a period of rapid fluctuation — various tones gain or lose from 5dB to 25dB every few days, for reasons unknown.  In effect, this creates a different natural “MAP” on my left side every day or so, which inhibits the effectiveness of the MAP created for my right-side CI. Who knew? 

At yesterday’s session, we turned off channels 11 and 12, which has made things a little smoother for now.

Meanwhile, my surgeon and his team are treating my left side with heavy corticosteroids, which have proved effective in the past in gradually stabilizing my left side hearing (In fact, my records show that just two years ago my left-side hearing had returned to -10dB across the board, from 125Hz through almost 4000Hz; that’s basically healthy teenager hearing!). 

In any case, we entered a new period of instability back in July. The rate and degree of fluctuation seems to be slowly stabilizing and we’re hoping for a gradual return to something more like normal over the next few months. 

In the meantime, my audiologists want me to come in weekly so that we can re-set right-side CI levels more frequently. They’re convinced the CI sound quality should improve dramatically once the left side stabilizes and I can get some consistent “listening time” with a stable right-side MAP.  All that sounds good to me.

By the way, earbuds work fine with my iPad, so I’ll look forward to joining the group for our monthly chat on the 15th. No problem. See you then. Best to all.

Kirk

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for the update @Kirk S..  I’m glad you feel good about the plan and I hope things stabilize soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

REMINDER

Last virtual monthly chat for 2020

Sunday November  15

9:30 am New York time start time

chat opens at 9:15 for socializing 

Google Meet with free live captioning

All are welcome. Smile 

Reminder:  There will not be a chat in December.  We will start back up again in January.

Invites will be sent on November 15 by 9:15.

November’s chat includes:

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Kirk S.

@Tracey_66

@Mary Featherston

@Kylie

@Jewel

@Mary Beth

@Valentin

@Nikki

@Joan

@Megan L.

@phobos512

@KittKatz

Laura from the UK (first time)

@MallaRuth from the UK (first time)

@tmscarlett10 first time (awaiting activation)

@Nischal Koirala from Nepal (first time)

Evelyn first time (deciding on CI)

If you are not on this list but wish to join in, let us know.

See you all on Sunday.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 minute ago, Joan said:

@Kyle we went back to standard time so the chat doesn’t start for another hour.
I hope that’s not too late for you!

Joan

Oh thanks!  I somehow missed that.  That makes it 10:30pm start... I'm not sure, I will think about it.   

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh no!  The time change!

at the moment it is only 8:37 am in NY.  The invites will go out between 9:10 and 9:15.

@Kylie

• HearPeers Heroes

OK thanks - my mistake.  I will come back at the correct time, though I won't stay for too long. Got work tomorrow morning early!