AudioStream with Sonnet 1 question

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

If we want to use AudioStream with our Sonnet 1 processors, do our audiologists need to set our Sonnet 1 processors up to use the AudioKey2 app?  At the moment my Sonnet 1 processors are set up to still use the original FineTuner.  

I am interested in using the AudioStream.  Do I need to have my Sonnets set up by my audiologist to use the AudioKey2 app in order to start using the AudioStream?

Thank you for your help.

Hi  @Mary Beth

thanks for your question. Great to read that you are excited about AudioStream!

The AudioKey 2 app is only necessary for the first configuration of AudioStream and your phone. Afterwards the app is not necessary anymore to use AudioStream and you could still use your fine tune remote control. An audiologist visit would not be necessary for that 😊

However, what is more important if you want to use AudioStream with your SONNETs is your smartphone, here is an extract from our website with more information:

AudioStream can be used as a Made for iPhone (MFi) Hearing Device and supports the Audio Streaming for Hearing Aids (ASHA) technology. MED-EL recommends keeping your device(s) updated with the latest version of the iOS or Android operating system. AudioStream is compatible with iOS version 11 or later and Android version 10 or later.

You can find more information at the bottom of the AudioStream page on our website, a list of devices compatible with AudioStream can also be found there: https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/accessories/connectivity/audiostream

Hope that answers your question! If you want to know more, please let us know.

Best, Verena

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you Verena! @MED-EL Moderator

I was confused because I was told that to use the AudioKey (original app) with my Sonnet 1 processors as a remote, I would need to have my audiologist configure my Sonnet 1 processors to use the app and that would result in no longer being able to use my FineTuner remote. 

I am glad that the AudioStream will directly connect with my phone without the need to go through the AudioLink and without the need to have my Sonnet 1 processors configured by my audiologist.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator Verena

WillI need to use the AudioLink with my Sonnet 1 processors to set up the AudioStream for initial use or does this statement only refer to using the remote control and other features of AudioKey 2 app?

4AAB38E2-7042-41BB-8BF3-157B314B6CE9.png

@Mary Bethyes, this refers to the usage of AudioKey 2 as remote control. For the AudioStream set up AudioLink is not necessary, no matter if you have SONNET or SONNET 2. 

Best, Verena 

Hello all,

I am new to this HP forum. I am seeking information on the AudioStream. I use a Sonnet (switched on in December 2018 in Manchester, UK) Please can someone advise on when the AudioStream is available for purchase in the UK and what the recommended retail price will be? Many thanks in advance. Andy 

https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/accessories/connectivity/audiostream 

• HearPeers Heroes

@viewcrow

Welcome to HearPeers!

We are waiting to hear an availability date and price in the US for AudioStream too.

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi all, 

Not been on here for some time but I'm still about Ha!

What I'd like to know..... Doe's this mean that the AudioStream slider cover replaces the standard battery cover and is in use ALL the time rendering the standard battery cover redundant?

Edit: I also meant to ask if Andy (Viewcrow) found out when this AudioStream is available in the UK and what's it's price.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mr-LJ

The AudioStream cover could stay on all the time.  I think we would then need to be aware of battery drain or disconnect it from our BT device when it is not needed.

@MED-EL Moderator Will Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2 still use their ASM 2 or ASM 3 mic settings and front end settings while the AudioStream is attached to the processor or do they automatically move into omni mic setting when the AudioStream is attached?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary 

Thanks Mary, I thought just as much that it could stay on all the time, it probably would need to be on all the time because it is then ready for incoming telephone calls and no one would want to be fiddling about with covers and switching on Bluetooth in time to accept call. 😂 I seem to recall somewhere that the Bluetooth is of a 'low' power type rather than full power, this is the 'proper' blue symbol type Bluetooth. I think there is some confusion between this type of BT and the ordinary wireless connection.

If I'm right that the AudioStream doe's use the low power BT then It probably would not use any more battery power than any other device. Probably a case of suck it and see, so to speak.

I have the Sonnet 1

20 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mr-LJ

The AudioStream cover could stay on all the time.  I think we would then need to be aware of battery drain or disconnect it from our BT device when it is not needed.

@MED-EL Moderator Will Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2 still use their ASM 2 or ASM 3 mic settings and front end settings while the AudioStream is attached to the processor or do they automatically move into omni mic setting when the AudioStream is attached?

Hi @Mary Beth thanks for tagging us. 

When you put on the AudioStream cover and don't stream, it does not drain any battery or change the mic settings.

But as soon as AudioStream gets "active" (when you start streaming / a stream is going on) the settings switch to omni-directional mode and it drains more battery (as with any other streaming device).

Kind regards, Barbara 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you Barbara @MED-EL Moderator

@Mr-LJ Definitely seems like we can choose to use the AudioStream cover all the time.  Are you going to purchase AudioStream?

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

Thank you Barbara @MED-EL Moderator

@Mr-LJ Definitely seems like we can choose to use the AudioStream cover all the time.  Are you going to purchase AudioStream?

I think I would do just that, 'use the AudioStream cover all the time' it seems to make sense to do so. I am pleased to hear that It will not drain the battery but surely there must be some tiny trickle of charge used for it to be on standby?

Am I going to purchase one? I'd dearly love to but it boils down to it's cost, I'm not a rich man or poor one so to speak, so I'll have to balance up my finances accordingly. My biggest worry is that I am in the hands of the UK NHS and it depends on what and when they change my processor, currently as I've said, I'm using the sonnet1, so my next upgrade could well be to the sonnet2 and I guess that it is highly likely that the AudioStream cover will fit the 2 as well as the 1. I just hope that the NHS will be happy with my purchasing such a device to use on their supplied processor, I don't see why not.

Next job is for me to find out where I can purchase one these AudioSteams from and how much I can expect to pay. I have already downloaded the AudioKey2 app to my Samsung Galaxy note 8 but will not work with Android version 9 and the Note 8 being three years old will not be upgraded to the required version 10, so I have to buy another expensive mobile phone so that I can have the Android version 10 to run the app....... it's all money!! 😪

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mr-LJ

AudioStream does work with both Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2 processors.

If you do purchase it, let us know what you think.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Yes certainly! I've no idea on where to start.... I have filled in the form on the Medel website for them to get in touch with me regarding a local stockist but not heard anything from them yet. The only other place in the UK apart from the NHS hospital where I was implanted, is Connevans and there is nothing about AudioStreams showing up there. Will contact my hospital Monday.

On another forum someone mentioned that AudioKey2 allows you to configure a right and a left AudioStream.  That sounds like a bilateral user would need two AudioStream covers, one for each processor, if true stereo is desired.   Add that to the cost of a newer phone (per Med El website, AudioStream won't work with my older model cell phone) and this becomes just a pipe dream for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

Yes bilateral CI users would need 2 AudioSteam covers to hear streamed sound in both ears.  I am in the US and have not seen a price yet.

You can stream to both sides via T or MT with the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop ($129 from Harris Communications or Amazon).  I have it and have been using it daily for years.

• HearPeers Heroes

You can buy the audiostream in Australia for AU$490 including the battery frame. (That is approx US$372 at today's rate.) I have not yet purchased one as I am undecided about the value for the high cyst. Looking forward to reading others' reviews?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

And the benefit to you may be quite limited as it would only stream to your CI ear and then there is no way to also receive the audio in your acoustic ear. Right?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie
Can you say how much a standard battery is in the AU store? Curious as a basis for comparison. $175 on US store (xe.com/ucc says that's 143 Euro, 129 GBP, 230 AUD).

• HearPeers Heroes
2 hours ago, phobos512 said:

@Kylie
Can you say how much a standard battery is in the AU store? Curious as a basis for comparison. $175 on US store (xe.com/ucc says that's 143 Euro, 129 GBP, 230 AUD).

It's currently AU$155-185 for sonnet rechargable depending on micro or standard size (USD$117-140)

• HearPeers Heroes
19 hours ago, Kylie said:

You can buy the audiostream in Australia for AU$490 including the battery frame.

@Kylie Hi, is the AudioStream available on its own without a battery frame in Oz? If the AudioStream is a slide cover for the battery, then I don't see why it comes with a battery frame??

And obviously it should be cheaper on it's own... I'd have thought.

Edited by Mr-LJ
Additional sentence.