Constant background sound...normal?

melody

I have had my Rondo 2 processor for just over a week now.  I saw the Audiologist yesterday and she did a bunch of adjustments.  Today I tried to do "exercises" and can't hear a thing because of background noise that just overpowers everything.  Is this normal.  What should I do?  Any advice would be most appreciated.

• HearPeers Heroes

@melody

A few questions 

1) is this background noise always happening even when you are not working on exercises?

2) are you sure you are on the M setting and not the MT setting?

3) odd question I know but... do you hear these noises when your processor is off?

What is an M setting vs an MT setting?  And, no I do not hear those noises when the processor is off!  And the noise is all the time when the processor is on no matter what I am doing or so it seems.

• HearPeers Heroes

@melody

I didn’t mean any offense about asking if the sounds were present when the processor was off.  I should’ve explained it better.  My apologies.  Sometimes tinnitus presents and it is a new experience for the CI user.

There should not be noise all the time when the processor is on if you are in a quiet setting.

Prior to this MAPping change you did not have this problem with your Rondo2 correct?

The FineTuner remote lets us select 

M- Rondo 2 microphone only

T- telecoil only 

MT- a 50/50 mix of Rondo2 microphone and telecoil 

Sometimes people accidentally set the Rondo2 on MT and in some settings this causes interference which sounds like buzzing.

Oh dear Beth, no offense at all!  I quite appreciate your input!

I did find the remote and made sure I was on "M" once you told me about that.  And, in answer to your question, I did have problems with background noise before the session yesterday.  I wonder about what could be setting this off.  The fridge, the computer, the furnace...and all in all, it just is...no matter what I do.  I m one of those people who had a total blast furnace sound 24/7 after the surgery...could this be related or more of the same?  I don't know but I do appreciate your help.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @melody

I had a similar experience when I just got Rondo2. It picked up all sounds. So I asked the audi to adjust the mapping so when I'm driving I don't have that constant wind noise. Even though I have 4 programs on my Rondo2, I only find one satisfactory and stick to it. 

Have you tried the other programs on the processor? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@melody

phew!  I’m glad I didn’t offend you!  Smile

So this constant sound only happens when your processor is on right?  If yes, then it is not tinnitus.

If you go outside somewhere quiet, do you still hear it?

If you hold your hair away from the processor, do you still hear it?

If none of this solves the constant noise, I suggest you ask your audiologist to measure your thresholds on each electrode and set them manually.  Thresholds are basically the loudest sound each electrode can send that does NOT result in us hearing it.  The default threshold levels work for most people but every once in awhile there is someone who needs thresholds to be measured and set manually.

Do you see your audiologist again soon?  Which CI center do you use?