Rondo 3 user experiences with telecoil adapter and neckloop

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tomas

I am so happy you love your Rondo 3.  I am using Rondo 1.  What are your favorite features of Rondo 3?  I need to choose my upgrade processor soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

My Rondo 1 lasts 3 days on power one implant batteries too and using the Artone does not seem to have a negative impact on battery life for me.

14 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Richard G

My Rondo 1 lasts 3 days on power one implant batteries too and using the Artone does not seem to have a negative impact on battery life for me.

I used Zenipower batteries, but dont think there's much difference between different brands. So if @Richard G also got 3 days on Rondo 1  and 16 hrs on Rondo 2, I guess Rondo 3 would at least give the same for @Mary Beth... (OK, sounds strange then about my ~16 hrs ear, but I haven't had an implant on that side, so maybe I wouldn't get more than 3 days with disposable batteries on that side, my left side - where I used to get 4 days - lasts at least 17 hours with Rondo 3, I haven't reached the limit on that for a couple of weeks).

By the way, I haven't streamed or used telecoil for 2 days, possibly some extra time but not more than an hour.

(Sorry, can't keep it short and my observations are far from scientific - treat them as subjective points of view)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Tomas

I am so happy you love your Rondo 3.  I am using Rondo 1.  What are your favorite features of Rondo 3?  I need to choose my upgrade processor soon.

Hi @Mary Beth, again I use too many words and my observations are very subjective... What are my favourite Rondo 3 features?

Well, upgrading from Opus/Rondo 1, some of would be the same with Sonnet 2 - such as two microphones, moist/water resistant and improved sound management.

I prefer to not have to bother too much with the processor. Also I sometimes got sore on the back of my ears with the behind-the-ear processor (occasionally had to have a small soft cloth wrapped around it), so Rondo was great for me. With the Rondo 3 I almost forget it's there (except when I use my bicycle helmet or a soft hat/beanie). I only need to change settings/program if I listen to music (the features filtering out noice do some funny alterations to music, cut off some sounds, not only related to the omni directional microphones).

Also I look forward to summer, imagining I can use waterwear a full day at the beach without worrying about splashes or sand (I know it's water resistant without and have exercised and been in rain without any problems).

And of course it looks great, but I've always considered the behind the ear thing a good way to let others understand I have a hearing loss.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tomas said:

Hi @Mary Beth, again I use too many words and my observations are very subjective... What are my favourite Rondo 3 features?

Well, upgrading from Opus/Rondo 1, some of would be the same with Sonnet 2 - such as two microphones, moist/water resistant and improved sound management.

I prefer to not have to bother too much with the processor. Also I sometimes got sore on the back of my ears with the behind-the-ear processor (occasionally had to have a small soft cloth wrapped around it), so Rondo was great for me. With the Rondo 3 I almost forget it's there (except when I use my bicycle helmet or a soft hat/beanie). I only need to change settings/program if I listen to music (the features filtering out noice do some funny alterations to music, cut off some sounds, not only related to the omni directional microphones).

Also I look forward to summer, imagining I can use waterwear a full day at the beach without worrying about splashes or sand (I know it's water resistant without and have exercised and been in rain without any problems).

And of course it looks great, but I've always considered the behind the ear thing a good way to let others understand I have a hearing loss.

Oh, one more observation - block me if I'm completely ruining the thread. About the Audiolink streamer, where it easily disconnect from the processor when streaming music. I've become a bit more friendly with it..., indoors e.g. in the kitchen I can have it on the tabletop and still stream music without interruption, it's mainly outdoors it's sensitive, don't know if it's related to temperature, high/low air pressure or something else, but it seems these radio frequencies may be sensitive..., right or wrong I now manage better, but outdoors I need to keep the audikey close to the head and avoid turning my head too much outdoors.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tomas

I am enjoying your subjective experiences with Rondo 3 a lot!  Keep them coming!  And your posts do not need to be short here.  No worries about ruining a thread.  We are flexible and friendly.

The AudioLink with my Sonnet 1 processors gives me the same problems you are reporting.  It just is not working well enough to be a device that I choose to use when the Artone is consistently so much better for me.  I do not like finicky tech. 

I must be honest and say that the combination of Rondo 3 battery life now being reported by Med-El as 18+ hours and the fact that we must use telecoil adapters in order to use the Artone along with reports that the AudioLink presents the same issues with Rondo 3 as it does with Sonnet 1....  gives me pause.  I had fallen in love with the thought of Rondo 3.  It is a beautiful processor.  I am enjoying off the ear time with my Rondo 1 very much and would like to continue with off the ear processors.  And originally Rondo 3 was supposed to last 24 hours.  So now I am back to being undecided about my upgrade processor choice.  Fortunately my Rondo 1 processors are still going strong.  I will have to decide before too long.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The best Christmas present of all times -- Rondo 3 was just delivered by FEDEX and I am unpacking it. Next week I have scheduled an appointment with audiologist, but for now, just looking at it and putting it altogether (#4 magnet) thrills me to no end.

Finally no more batteries, stereo sound and double microphones. I will share with you my experiences as soon as I have the processor programmed.

I must really tell you how great, helpful, courteous and efficient was the Medel staff. Thanks to all.

Oooh!!!  Finally distributing in the US?! 

I wonder when mine will come, not that I can use it now, bit when I get my second implant, it'll sure come on handy

Can't wait to hear what you think @Richard G!

Today was activation day for my daughter.  She has the Rondo 3.  As expected, all she is hearing is beeping noises, and she keeps complaining about how loud it is.  I understand that this is normal for day 1, and we have so much to learn. 

Has anyone else noticed that if the processor is not worn (or dropped), does it power off? I'm trying to make sure she wears it as much as possible, but she removed it when she went outside to play in the rain, and when she put it back on I think it needed to be turned back on.

Also, curious about whether we should have the Sonnet as the backup, or another Rondo 3 (since we get two with the startup). Does the processor fit inside a bike helmet? What sites do people use to purchase accessories? I can't seem to find sports headbands for the Rondo 3 except for the only one offered on the MedEl website. So many questions. This is all new to us!

• HearPeers Heroes

@2monkeys

Congratulations on your daughter’s activation.

The Rondo 3 has an auto off feature if it is not in contact with the internal component.  So unless your daughter’s audiologist disabled that feature, the Rondo 3 would’ve turned off while she was not wearing it.  You can always press the center and see the light colors to check if you are unsure.

There are many Etsy securing options for CIs.

The only headband Med-El sells for Rondo 3 is that sports band you mentioned as far as I know.

People have had success with bike helmets that are adjustable but everyone recommends trying them on in a shop first since CI placement varies.  The flat DL-coil of the Sonnet 2 is easier in bike helmets than the Rondo 3.

Ask as many questions as you wish.  We are a friendly bunch.

A couple of days ago I had my Rondo 3 programmed, so here are my initial impressions:

Rondo 3 comes with either Arton 3 Max or Med-el own Audiolink. Since I already had Artone, I opted for Audiolink. Just for the record, I have a Rondo 2 on the left side with Synchrony implant (June 2, 2020, and now a Rondo 3 on the right side which is an upgrade for Rondo 1 originally installed in October 2015 on Sonata Ti implant.

Rondo 3 has two microphones, but frankly, I cannot feel or hear the difference with Rondo 1, except perhaps the sound is a bit clearer. There are some advantages and disadvantages of Rondo 3. One disadvantage is the use of telecoil. It requires a small chip which is installed in the socket of Rondo 3 - usually used for programming. The fit is a bit clumsy and the adapter, which is about 1/2 inch square, just sits there outside of the processor. One plus is that its operation is automatic. You have that adapter in - you have telecoil, you forget to put it there, or if it falls - no more telecoil.

One advantage of the Audiolink is a docking port. When the docking station is attached to your TV via RCA connectors and the Audiolink is inserted in the docking port, you automatically hear your TV in your ear. The audiolink control unit (pretty small)  also serves as a wireless microphone. To me it is a great addition because I can now use my land line phone on speaker and by placing the microphone to the phone speaker, I have a direct voice in my ear.

Rondo 3 control unit is not that useful, unless you have a bunch of programs in your processor.

Since I use Artone as my cell phone transmitter, I have not tried the Audioink in that role. Incidentally, Artone battery is very weak. It does not last too long when used with phone, IPad or Kindle Fire. A couple of hours of continuous use is  all.

For those of you who have Rondo 2 on one side and are due for an upgrade on the other, it maybe worth considering a Rondo 2 for an upgrade, to make both sides operating exactly the same. Otherwise, you will be carrying two control pilots - one for each system, and two media connectivity modules for TV, phones etc. Fortunately, there are options, and depending on  preferences, you can chose between Rondo 2 and Rondo 3 for an upgrade from the original Rondo.

Happy New Year

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks for sharing your report @Richard G!

I have been thinking about several of the items you mentioned.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

Will you post a picture of what the Rondo 3 looks like with the telecoil adapter attached?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

Are you noticing any difference in battery life between your Rondo 2 and Rondo 3?

I have not noted any difference in battery life, but one interesting side effect of T-coil adapter is humming of different frequency depending on the energy source. As we know, T-coil responds to magnetic field. When driving I hear humming of high pitch (coming from the engine electrical equipment) only on the Rondo 3 side and while walking by high voltage wires on the street, te hum is constant but much lower frequency. No such effect with Rondo 2. Unfortunately, on Rondo 3 you cannot disconnect T-coil function without physically removing the T-coil adapter. Unlike Rondo 2 tuner, there is no T or MT function on Rondo 3 "fine tuner".

One more reason to sticking to Rondo 2. Actually Arton 3 Max with wireless microphone and docking station provides exactly the same thing as Audiolink only with a loop. Audiolink accomplishes the same based on Bluetooth instead.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

Is your Artone neck loop the kind that has a pin charger or a micro usb charger?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

My Artone with the micro USB lasts long.  Streaming audiobooks.... six hours maybe.  But it is new.

Next time you are using telecoil with Rondo 3 try lowering your sensitivity a lot and see what happens to the EMI buzzing.  Let us know.

• 3 months later...

My Artone 3 can not be charged because a loose wire inside the port prevents charging cable from being fully seated.

Unfortunately, although it is under the warranty and it was purchased directly from them, Artone does not respond to my messages or to my phone calls. Can anyone shed some light ? Are they out of business ? Has anyone encounter a problem with the charging port ?

Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

@Richard G

I am sorry to hear that.  I hope Artone responds soon.

I have not experienced that problem with my neckloops.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you very much @Richard Gfor your posts about the Rondo 3. My audiologist is very enthusiastic about the Rondo over the Sonnet 2. I really like the ease of use and that was beginning to win me over. However, now that you have explained about the telecoil adaptor, I am not impressed. Your photo reminds me of a giant engorged deer tick! For an upgraded system, this seems like a bit of a downgrade to me. It also doesn't allow direct streaming to my phone - which is important to me. I am also worried about daily battery life - and, being an enclosed system, if the battery fails after the warranty expires it isn't like I can purchase new rechargeable batteries. I have been comparing to the BTE Sonnet 2 on the Med-El site, and it seems to me that the Sonnet 2 trumps the Rondo on a few points, not the least is the ability to change out batteries - even to use disposable batteries. If I had insurance, perhaps I would throw caution to the wind, get the Rondo and anticipate replacing it in 3 or so years. Alas, I am leaning back to the Sonnet 2, even though I fear the size and weight of it behind my ear. I am just getting my first CI, having worn BTE hearing aids for about a decade. I do appreciate you candidly sharing your experience so far. Everyone's lifestyle is different and it is very helpful to read the experiences of actual users of the products.

Although I cannot comment on Sonnet since I only used Rondos, I can tell you that you can stream sound from your cell phone to your Rondo3 processor without using telecoil adapter. There is a dedicated Medel app that allows that connection. You would only use tcoil adapter with a neck loop such as Arton, which is also an excellent way to get a very clean and strong transmission to your processor. 

In my opinion Rondo is a fantastic single unit processor. I always had a problem wearing something behind the ear so Rondo was the only option for me.

• Like 1