Objective passive testing of CI settings

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

You mentioned that you have had this kind of test at your audiologist appt. and then your MAP was adjusted.

Will you describe how the test works?

Were sensors placed on your head or was the test conducted just through a coil attached to the computer?  Did you just sit there?  Did you hear tones during the test?

@Kirk S. This is the kind of test I was mentioning.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth, I checked the links that you sent me and I think I understand now. The answer is, NO, I don’t think my audiologist has done any objective tests, so far. It seems like she just connects my Ci to her laptop then sends me a series of pings, and then I use a Med-El chart to tell her when the pings reach a level that I consider to be loud. So, I guess you’d call this a subjective test.  She has not connected me to any electrodes, so far. I’ll see if I or my wife can find a page on the Japanese-language version of the Med-El site that corresponds to the links you sent me. I’m still waiting to hear for Kylie.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Mary Beth. FYI, it seems like Med-El does not have a Japanese-language website. No matter. I’ll print out the English-language pages from the links that you sent me and show them to my audiologist. She seems to read and write English reasonably well — especially the Med-El technical material, of course — so that should work. My next appointment is Thursday. I’ll let you know how it goes. 

• HearPeers Heroes
19 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie

You mentioned that you have had this kind of test at your audiologist appt. and then your MAP was adjusted.

Will you describe how the test works?

Were sensors placed on your head or was the test conducted just through a coil attached to the computer?  Did you just sit there?  Did you hear tones during the test?

@Kirk S. This is the kind of test I was mentioning.

My test did involve sticking electrodes to my head. I just sat there while they played sounds and measured my brain's response to each sound. They must have blocked my hearing ear for this one. Based on the results she altered some frequencies (made some more powerful) based on some sounds I missed.  It was more nuanced than the subjective info I could give her and it did make a positive difference to my functional hearing once I got used to the new setting.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie  thanks!

I could see the benefit of this kind of test for @Kirk S..

Maybe they played sounds through a coil attached to your magnet & their computer so only the CI received the sounds and the electrodes measured your response to the sounds?

• HearPeers Heroes

Mm that makes sense. It was last year now so getting hard to remember the fine details!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey, thanks Kylie. Do you happen to remember the name of the test or the name of the type of equipment? That might help if my audiologist in Tokyo hasn’t used it, or hasn’t hear of it, yet. She seems pretty smart and very conscientious, but my impression is that the mapping and re-hab system in Japan is a bit behind the States and Australia. 

• HearPeers Heroes
8 hours ago, Kirk S. said:

Hey, thanks Kylie. Do you happen to remember the name of the test or the name of the type of equipment? That might help if my audiologist in Tokyo hasn’t used it, or hasn’t hear of it, yet. She seems pretty smart and very conscientious, but my impression is that the mapping and re-hab system in Japan is a bit behind the States and Australia. 

Sorry Kirk I do not remember what it was called, if I ever knew. I only have the description.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

The ART testing was present even back in Maestro 7. Maybe even before that.

https://blog.medel.pro/autoart-maestro-7-ecap/

Med-El updates the fitting software regularly.  They are now on Maestro 9.  Many times new fitting software rolls out with new processors as the new processors have new features and the fitting software needs to include those features.

I do not know which Maestro versions can program which processors.  Sorry.

15 hours ago, Jewel said:

@MED-EL Moderator

Does all the functionality of Maestro 9 work for Sonnet 1 and Rondo2? 

@Jewel Thanks for your question! I will ask our product experts and get back to you asap. Best, Verena 

18 hours ago, Jewel said:

@MED-EL Moderator

Does all the functionality of Maestro 9 work for Sonnet 1 and Rondo2? 

@Jewel I've already heard back from our experts, here is their reply: 

"Certain new features, such as bimodal synchronization and other powerful new tools, are made to work with our most advanced processor chipset, so these features are only available with SONNET 2 and RONDO 3. On the other hand, the workflow improvements for clinicians—such as progressive maps, session view, bimodal loudness balancing, and more—would be available during any fitting with MAESTRO 9.0. And lastly the helpful objective measures tools for clinicians, such as AutoART and eABR, can be performed during fitting with MAESTRO 7.0 or newer for all MED-EL implants."

Hope that answers your question! 

Verena 

• Like 2