Newbie Here

moonunit0103

Hi,

I am a 62 year man who has a hearing loss from Scarlet Fever when I was 2 years old.  I have been approved for a cochlear implant, but found behind the ear hearing aids uncomfortable.  Would prefer the Rondo 3 to the behind the ear processor.

Can I get Rondo 3s instead of a behind the ear processor and a Rondo 3?

• HearPeers Heroes

@moonunit0103

Yes.  We can choose which processors we want in the US.  If you go to a two processor CI center (2 processors per surgery), you can choose two Sonnet 2, two Rondo 3 or one of each.

I have become a big fan of the Rondo processors.

I have read the Rondo 2 processors have a tendency to fall off.  Are there workarounds for this?

Another question, I have had dropoff around 1000Hz and above.  Many sounds I cannot hear at all currently, which is mostly nuisance noise.

Will it be overwhelming once I am activated?

• HearPeers Heroes

@moonunit0103

My Rondo processors have never just fallen off.  I have knocked them off a few times.  Secure lines prevent them from falling to the floor.

There are various magnet strengths.  And there is also the GripWear adhesive piece that may be used to increase holding power.

Using my Rondos during this time of face masks has been wonderful!

• Like 1

Once I get my second CI, is there a clip that could attach the two together?

Do people wear sweatbands or hats to conceal them?

Is it better to keep the attachment point hair shaved or short for better retention?

• HearPeers Heroes

@moonunit0103

Yes there are clips that can secure both Rondo processors to your shirt.  I use it when I put my Rondos in waterwear covers and swim in the ocean.

I just wear the Rondos without a headband.  They can blend into hair or stand out depending on which covers you choose.

I part my hair and place the Rondos underneath.  I do not need to do anything special to that area or to my hair.  Some people wear the Rondos on top of their hair.

• Like 1

If you were to get 2 processors per ear, which would you want?

Also, as technology improves, at what point will my insurance (Medicare) cover new processors?

• HearPeers Heroes

@moonunit0103

Medicare seems to approve processors every five years.  @Joancan comment on her experience with upgrades through Medicare.

My CI center is a two processor center too.  It’s the only time we get two processors.  When we upgrade through insurance it is one processor per ear.  So I took the opportunity to get a BTE processor and a one piece processor.  I am glad I did.  It let me experience both kinds of processors and determine which kind I prefer.

So unless you have a strong preference for one over the other.... I recommend getting one Rondo 3 and one Sonnet 2.  They use the same sound processing and dual mic options.

I experienced irritation wearing behind the ear hearing aids, and it looks like the CI processor is even larger, so I think the Rondo will work out better for me. I also wear reading glasses and sunglasses outside.

@Mary Bethjust a curious question why would you recommend one Rondo 3 and one Sonnet 2why not the same pair I have thought of doing that when my time comes but I thought it be an unusual request.As you know I have the Rondo2 and Sonnet and I often do wear each one as I said curious question no second question don’t take it wrong 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh

I only recommend trying one of each for surgical activation kits that contain 2 processors for the same ear for the reason Matt stated above.

As a bilateral CI user getting ready to upgrade processors, I will choose to get the same processor for my right and left sides.

Make sense?

@Mary Beth

After I sent it I come to realize what you were saying I still lean towards the Rondo3 but I still like Sonnets  I have plenty of time and who knows what will be available by then this an ever change in technology.

I have been using the HearClip (hearclip.com) accessories for as long as I've had my (original) Rondo. I'll be receiving the new Rondo3 soon. The HearClip is a chain connected to an ear cuff that attaches to the cartilage of your ear or as an earring. It's super easy and I've always received tons of compliments on the pretty jewelry. So much better than the shirt clip or hair clip (I was constantly ripping off my Rondo with my shirt or flicking my hair.

is there a reason why one have to purchase the cover to the Rondo3 every 3 months, as opposed to cleaning it? Seems like a piece of plastic that can be cleaned.

Also, what would be the advantage of the sonnet 2 compared to the Rondo 3? We have 2 Rondo 3, and have the option of 1 of each.  

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@2monkeys

There are two very small filters over the mics built into that cover.  Med-El recommends changing every 3 months or sooner if sound quality decreases.  That is the same mic cover replacement schedule as Sonnet 1 & 2 processors.  I need to change my Sonnet 1 processors mic covers every 2 months to maintain the best sound quality.

The Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 share the same sound processing features and dual mic options.

Rondo 3 offers off the ear and built in rechargeable battery

Sonnet 2 offers on the ear with a thinner coil at our magnet site (easier with helmets and can use around the ear headphones) and direct from device streaming with the AudioStream battery cover

Just personal preference 

I was just activated on December 4th and so far I've been surprised that I prefer the Sonnet 2 -- I thought I would physically notice it but I don't really feel it at all -- I don't trust myself with the Rondo 3 yet as the first five minutes I was wearing it I managed to project onto the floor-- I will have to start using the clip. One thing I love about having 2 different processors is: if I go for a run w/the Sonnet 2 I will put it in the dehumidifier and while I wait for it I will put on the Rondo 3--I def. will get use to the Rondo 3 but again happily surprised by how much I'm liking the Sonnet 2--happy new year everyone!

• Like 2