Another BIG event from Med-El :)

Ivana Marinac

• HearPeers Heroes

Announced on Med-EL FB site on thursday, 13tth November:

"...The stage is set for tomorrow, when we'll be launching the new generation of a hearing implant system with a twist...and it won't be a cochlear implant.
Any guesses? "

LINKED FROM MED-EL FB.

To be continued...

• HearPeers Heroes

Had some difficulties to post last few days, anyway ...

Although announced for Soundbridge, same audio processor will be available for Bonebridge users.

Youtube announcement:

So we got a ton of covers, a remote control and yes - I am so excited with wireless option: to hear music directly over processors. God knows how much I was frustrated when I couldn't use my headphones while I was running/cycling. Sometimes it is just great feeling to have that opportunity. We'll ask our senior brothers with CI's for advice :)

So, it is recommended to use this:

https://global.hearing.siemens.com/products/wireless/minitek/

And, as we are talking about audio processor, it has taken a red dot award for design - excellent!

http://red-dot.de/pd/online-exhibition/work/?lang=en&code=18-04914-2014&y=2014&c=167&a=0

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana.. Why can't you wear headphones?

My audio-processor squeals :(

Headphones cover mics and (dis)harmony starts - you do not have such experience?

I have some reasonably good pair - AKG.

I have tried everything - to cover mics with a gauze, or put headphones differently (different angle - different pressure) - without success.

Ok - when I play certain/more loud music squealing dissipates but still I can hear it. So I started to avoid them - started to run without music :(

I use my actual ears for headphones I'm not fully deaf.. are you?.. Ive never been able to use them because anything I put inside my ears causes infections but Ive just found some cool ear muffs what have speakers inside them and they keep my ears warm :) There not great outside in noisy situations but I can listen to music again without others hearing :) It would be better if it was straight through the sound processor though!

Do you use headphones over your amade then I presume?

• HearPeers Heroes

I use my actual ears for headphones I'm not fully deaf.. are you?.. Ive never been able to use them because anything I put inside my ears causes infections but Ive just found some cool ear muffs what have speakers inside them and they keep my ears warm :) There not great outside in noisy situations but I can listen to music again without others hearing :) It would be better if it was straight through the sound processor though!

Do you use headphones over your amade then I presume?

What do you mean by the term - "fully deaf"?

Hearing loss can be conductive or sensoneural (and mixed) in variuos extent.

Your hearing loss is the consequnce of chronic middle ear infection, mine is congenital malformation - I do not have fully developed neither outer nor external canal, I have eardum on my right side. My hearing loss is totally conductive - bone curve is extremely well.

So yes - the only way I can use my headphones is over my processor.

This is the idea - much better is transmission directly to the processor. On that way, ther is no dissipation of sound - that is also the reason why we hear so good with our Amades.

Sorry 100% Deaf can't hear nothing from your ear.. Wow thats just threw me a bit, I was under the impression the bonebridge could only be used if there was some sort of hearing there naturally.. And I thought cochlear implants was for those who couldn't hear at all. I understand people are deaf due to many different reasons.

I think I need to do a bit more research!

I've recently just seen for sale a hat with headphones in.. Do you think that may work if you positioned the ear piece slightly above the magnet and strapped it on.. because I presume they are the in the ear type headphones.. It would be hidden by a hat after all?

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry 100% Deaf can't hear nothing from your ear.. Wow thats just threw me a bit, I was under the impression the bonebridge could only be used if there was some sort of hearing there naturally.. And I thought cochlear implants was for those who couldn't hear at all. I understand people are deaf due to many different reasons.

I think I need to do a bit more research!

I've recently just seen for sale a hat with headphones in.. Do you think that may work if you positioned the ear piece slightly above the magnet and strapped it on.. because I presume they are the in the ear type headphones.. It would be hidden by a hat after all?

Sophie,

my hearing cells (inner ear) are completely normal - my hearing range is between 0 and 10 dB. You can't be 100% deaf with conductive hearing loss (if your inner ear is ok) because there is always bone which conduct sound if individual do not have external hearing canal, eardrum or malformed ossicle chain. Scientifically, conductive hearing loss can not be worse than 65 dB (if it is not combined).

So, my hearing level is at approximately 55-60 dB at worse frequency - therefore, inspite of the fact of malformed outer and middle ear I can hear loud talk, music etc.Try by yourself: plug your ears as much as you can and you'll see that you still hear something.

Now you can see that I am far from "completely deaf person" (because of my inner ear).

And yes - cochlear implant is for people who (generaly) have sensoneural deafness various extent or EAS for partial deafness.

Interested proposition but, unfortunately if headphones are only in the ear - I can't use them. Neither I hear something usefull nor I can put them somewhere (stenotic and atretic hearing canal). Type stenosis/atresia and microtia into Google - I guarantee you interested moments. :)

Also, hearing music over bone with this range of hearing loss is not good option: bone conduction is good for transmission of speech which are in the  low and midfrequency range, higher frequencies are transmitted very bad so - sound of that music is far from usefull and enjoyable.

But, with only one BB I can hear music very well even without my headphones. Hopefully, when time comes I will swap Amade for Samba so I can use wireless transmission of sound. Also, being a medical doctor is little bit tricky if you can not connect a stethoscope to the hearing aid/implant.

That's why -  I am really happy that Med-EL decided to update Bonebridge/Soundbridge so well.

Possibly, I will step even more forward (after Thomas and you) and got a chance to implant another side.... Uauuuu...I could only imagine what it would be like when I revoke my memory to the implantation and plugging in with my Amade :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

It´s not impossible to use headphones with Bonebridge. It´s all, as always, about the setup in softwere.

And it has to be the correct type of headphones. I recommend a type that covers all the ear.

I use these http://www.philips.com.au/c-p/SHD8600_79/digital-wireless-headphones

when i´m watching Tv an Movies. It gives me a wondeful experience in stereosound that I never hade a chanse to get before,  just love it.

/Fredrik

Have you tried to use your headphones OVER the processor, not over the ear ?

Try it !

Thomas

I thought it was understood, that it was obvious that the earpiece would cover the receiver also. What I mean is, understood that the earphone should be large enough to cover the entire ear, and with this, cover receiver completely also.

/Fredrik

• HearPeers Heroes

"....Have you tried to use your headphones OVER the processor, not over the ear ?

Try it !

Thomas....

I thought it was understood, that it was obvious that the earpiece would cover the receiver also. What I mean is, understood that the earphone should be large enough to cover the entire ear, and with this, cover receiver completely also.

/Fredrik

Exactly guys - I have spent some time trying few dozen of headphones yesterday and confirmed: if an earshell can cover a processor in whole, it won't squeal. This is a good news, the bad one is that this kind of headphones are usually bulky: try to run or ride a bike with them? :)

• 5 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Very neat looking design. Interested to see how the people receiving one like it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well Adam, design is  better and - awarded :)

Still looking forward to our test days however ;) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, I guess you get to put your patience to the test again

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, I guess you get to put your patience to the test again

Always Adam...  ;)

But then again - the rewards more sweet than ever before... :P

• HearPeers Heroes

That is so true. I have talked to so many people that were on the fence about deciding to get a CI but hadn't gone through with it because of fear of the unknown . After those that finally decided to take the plunge and have the surgery, each person said that they wished they hadn't waited so long. I always don't tell people what to do as that is a very personal decision. I usually answer any questions and share my experience. The rest is up to them

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

You are luring even me, not to mention the other people with sensori-neural hearing loss... :P