riding a motorcycle

rideonjohnny

Recently I have become a recipient of a CI and am using a Rondo 2. Currently its winter and I'd like to start preparing for the riding season. For years I have enjoyed riding my Harley Davidson Motorcycle and I'm hoping that I don't have to give up riding although at 58 years of ages and thousands of miles I would hope this is not the end. I'd like to hear from anyone who rides a motorcycle with a CI and what sort of helmet do you use. Currently I ride with a half helmet but thinking maybe a full face helmet might be a better choice. My audiologist has recommended that I continue to do what what ever i enjoy doing which is riding my Harley and cycling to be my favorite activities. Any replies is greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't know why hearing or not hearing would have an impact on enjoying the ride. The deaf are allowed to drive and ride. One just has to learn how to pick up their other sensors (visual) to maintain situational awareness (and your head should always be on a swivel on a bike anyway).

All that said, you might look into helmets that have replaceable padding for comfort. You might also want to look into a BTE processor where the coil is on a cable, such that you can put the processor itself in a jacket pocket and have the coil itself on under your helmet (which would still probably take some pad modification / size changing).

• Like 1

I would think that the wind noise would be an issue.  As I am not a person that has hearing loss myself, is it possible to have some sort of wind screen over the mic?

I prefer full faced helmets because of the incredible wind noise of any other option.

This, personally, will become important to me as my daughter will most likely ride with me as she gets old enough.

• 1 month later...

I ride. I  am 58 too. I have a Harley as well (Fatboy). I just got my Rondo replaced with a Rondo 3, and Monday I had my other ear done. I have an HJC IS Max2 modular helmet as well as half hemet. The modular is tight and difficult to get on without knocking the Rondo off. It can be done though. It will be interesting trying with 2 Rondos. I made "leashes" using ear cuffs and chains (lady rider here), but the Rondos DO Come with clips for your hair or shirt that do the same thing. It is frustrating when they pop off putting the helmet on.

The half helmet (new) covers my Rondo(s) securely. I SHOULD use the modular, but prefer the half. HOWEVER, after riding about 2 hours I HAVE to take a break and get it OFF! The pressure of the Rondo pressed into my skull (and thick hair) hurts like heck. I will be cutting holes in the liner for the Rondos.

The best way to do this is go and try helmets on in person. They fit differently on different head shapes. Shoei is a good one that I understand has cutouts for bluetooth communication speakers, but probably over the ears, not where your processors are. You can cut your own holes though. 

What I don't know is if you get a helmet with, or if you add Bluetooth communication systems if they can be paired to Audiolink (if you use that). I hope so!

• HearPeers Heroes

@DebbieP

congratulations on your second CI!  Wishing you the best!

On 1/19/2021 at 7:15 PM, rideonjohnny said:

Recently I have become a recipient of a CI and am using a Rondo 2. Currently its winter and I'd like to start preparing for the riding season. For years I have enjoyed riding my Harley Davidson Motorcycle and I'm hoping that I don't have to give up riding although at 58 years of ages and thousands of miles I would hope this is not the end. I'd like to hear from anyone who rides a motorcycle with a CI and what sort of helmet do you use. Currently I ride with a half helmet but thinking maybe a full face helmet might be a better choice. My audiologist has recommended that I continue to do what what ever i enjoy doing which is riding my Harley and cycling to be my favorite activities. Any replies is greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

I am 59 & ride pillion Yamaha Super Tenere. Hubby & I use Senna Comm system, years now, even when I still had a ITE hearing aid. I configure a Sonnet with the BabyWear tethered battery frame to collar with the Activity Clip or in pocket so only coil is under helmet with the processor mic part slid off pina into the ear socket of the helmet (full, open jaw).  Secure my other Sonnet in a hard case to put on when helmet is off for bilateral hearing.  Have used this for 2 years. After an hour or so, I switch to the other ear.  To clarify, the smallest configuration fits in the receiver socket where the Comm is behind mesh.  The wires are hidden under padding. So we can talk via bluetooth in any amount of noise or you could run GPS through your processor.  It was well worth the investment!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. It won't be long now before i start riding and trying to find the best configuration for riding my bicycle and my Harley. I'm a little worried but not overly. My balance is good and now I'll be able to hear. I try cycling first. 

Thanks again