February HearPeers Chat on GoogleMeet

Mary Beth

7 hours ago, Kylie said:

@John R do you want to jump on this video call with other users? I know the time zone is tricky but I'm sure you'd find it useful. I'll be there!

Midnight for me,

but I’ll give it a go. Count me in. @Mary Beth

thanks for the heads up. @Kylie

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

In a moment I will send you a private HP message to get your email address for the invitation.  Check the menu at the top for the envelope symbol.  Looking forward to meeting you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sunday February 28    (UPDATED FEB 15)

9:15 am New York time start time 

chat opens at 9:00 for socializing 

Google Meet with free live captioning

Looking forward to our February GoogleMeet chat.  

Everyone is welcome to join in.  Just reply to this post so you are included in the chat invite.  New people are always welcome!

So far GoogleMeet invites will be sent to:

@John R

@Jewel

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Tracey_66

@Valentin

@Mr-LJ

@tmscarlett10

@Mary Beth

@Jared Charney

@Joan

@Megan L.

@Mary Featherston

@Kirk S.

@Kylie

• HearPeers Heroes

Sunday February 28    (UPDATED FEB 16)

Everyone is welcome to join in.  Just reply to this post so you are included in the chat invite.  New people are always welcome!

@John R  (first time)

@ats169 (first time)

@Kylie

@John R

@Jewel

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Tracey_66

@Valentin

@Mr-LJ

@tmscarlett10

@Mary Beth

@Jared Charney

@Joan

@Megan L.

@Mary Featherston

@Kirk S.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sunday February 28    (UPDATED FEB 16)

@Justin (first time)

@John R (first time)

@ats169 (first time)

@Kylie

@Jewel

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Tracey_66

@Valentin

@Mr-LJ

@tmscarlett10

@Mary Beth

@Jared Charney

@Joan

@Megan L.

@Mary Featherston

@Kirk S.

• HearPeers Heroes

Sunday February 28    (UPDATED FEB 21)

@Mrs T7 (first time)

@Justin (first time)

@John R (first time)

@ats169 (first time)

@Kylie

@Jewel

@Dave in Pittsburgh

@Tracey_66

@Valentin

@Mr-LJ

@tmscarlett10

@Mary Beth

@Jared Charney

@Joan

@Megan L.

@Mary Featherston

@Kirk S.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hey, Mary Beth. I have a question for our group chat this weekend. About a month ago, my one-year-old Rondo 2 started shutting off from time to time for no discernible reason. Even fully charged. It worked fine once I turned it back on, but it still concerned  me. I mentioned it to my audiologist during my latest appointment last week, and she gave me a “loaner” and said she would exchange my original unit for a new one from the Medel folks, since it is still under warranty. However, the “loaner” unit also has shut off a few times, as well. I’m worried now there might be a problem with the implant. Or maybe all the Rondos do this from time to time and I shouldn’t worry about it? Have you heard of this problem before? Kirk

@Kirk S. I upgraded to Rondo2s (bilateral) in October 2019. I have never experienced this issue and certainly would not expect it to be considered “normal”. Glad you have made your audiologist aware of it. I would be very interested in what Med-El says about it, especially since it has occurred with your loaner processor also. Keep us posted.

Looking forward to seeing you Sunday.

Joan 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kirk S.

That is definitely not normal.  The Rondo 2 should stay powered on the entire time it is connected to the internal component unless the battery runs out.  Since you are experiencing this shut off with two different Rondo 2 processors, that would concern me too.  Couple that with the difficulties you have been experiencing and if it was me,I would ask my audiologist to schedule an appt with a Med-El rep to run an integrity test on my internal component.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kirk S.

That is definitely not normal.  The Rondo 2 should stay powered on the entire time it is connected to the internal component unless the battery runs out.  Since you are experiencing this shut off with two different Rondo 2 processors, that would concern me too.  Couple that with the difficulties you have been experiencing and if it was me,I would ask my audiologist to schedule an appt with a Med-El rep to run an integrity test on my internal component.

Thanks, Mary Beth. I’ll definitely do that. Tuesday is a holiday in Japan (the Emperor’s birthday, believe it or not) but I’ll call my audiologist Wednesday and make an appointment asap. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kirk S.

This makes me wonder if the Rondo 2 processors are losing connection with your internal implant and automatically shutting off.

If so, the question is.... why are they losing connection with your internal implant????

5AE1DAA3-1B96-414B-9F27-5CCF8A78A630.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes
31 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kirk S.

This makes me wonder if the Rondo 2 processors are losing connection with your internal implant and automatically shutting off.

If so, the question is.... why are they losing connection with your internal implant????

5AE1DAA3-1B96-414B-9F27-5CCF8A78A630.jpeg

Good question. I can’t seem think of a common denominator when they’ve shut off. Once or twice inside, once or twice outside. Walking around, sitting on the sofa. It even happened during my last visit to my audiologist when I was hooked up to her laptop. The Rondo just stopped working while I was plugged in. We turned it back on as soon as it shut off and it worked fine after that. But she was concerned enough that she said she would ask the Medel folks to give me a new Rondo and she gave me the “loaner” in the meantime. She seemed to think that Medel would give me a new unit with no questions asked. But I. think you’re definitely right that I should ask for an integrity check of the implant. ...On a related matter, the new MAP that she gave me during my last appointment hasn’t made any difference that I can tell, so far. Still very poor sound quality — very buzzy, lots of static. Very difficult to discern speech either through the air or through the Artone. But other than all that, everything is great! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kirk S.

In the US, our processors received with surgery are under warranty for 5 years.  Med-El replaces processors that are not working with refurbished processors and still honors the remainder of the 5 year warranty.

A friend experienced static with her implant.  Processor was replaced.  Static remained.  Integrity test was done.  She was reimplanted.  Her internal was removed and returned to Med-El for testing and she received a brand new internal.  This happened many years after her initial surgery.  Maybe 18-20 years later.

Static sounds can be an indication of a faulty internal component.

• HearPeers Heroes
16 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kirk S.

Hi Mary Beth. I have a technical question. Do you happen to know if there is a formal name for the “integrity test” that you mentioned above? The reason I ask is, my wife will have to speak with my audiologist in Japanese, who will then speak to the Medel-Japan guys in Japanese, so there could be a whole lot of confusion over the word “integrity.” If there is a name for the test in English, they can look it up in the Medel-Japan manuals and get the correct translation and they can figure out the correct test (I hope). Thanks! 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kirk S.

It is called an integrity test and is conducted by a Med-El audiologist in the US.  Our audiologists schedule an appt with us and a Med-El audiologist joins the appt and runs the test.

CA2CC830-0FD3-46DD-8EFE-71EB871E6969.jpeg

0BC0AB12-35DD-4FE0-A018-E7131E7A18EF.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes
On 2/23/2021 at 9:04 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Kirk S.

It is called an integrity test and is conducted by a Med-El audiologist in the US.  Our audiologists schedule an appt with us and a Med-El audiologist joins the appt and runs the test.

CA2CC830-0FD3-46DD-8EFE-71EB871E6969.jpeg

0BC0AB12-35DD-4FE0-A018-E7131E7A18EF.jpeg

Hi Mary Beth. FYI, I’m scheduled to have the “integrity test” for my CI implant tomorrow (Friday, Japan time). My audiologist said she and a MED-EL technician will be there to conduct the test. Do you have any idea what I should expect, or what questions I should ask? I looked through the MED-EL website, FAQs, manual, etc., but I couldn’t find any information about it. I did a Google search and came up empty, too. Please let me know if you have any info or ideas. In any case, I’ll post an update tomorrow after the test and we can talk about it Sunday during our group chat if anyone is interested. Wish me luck! Kirk

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kirk S.

We are interested!  Smile

There are no questions you need to ask.  The integrity test is painless and it is an objective test.

You may find out the results at the appt or you may have to wait.

The integrity test checks our internal components.  If a problem is found, it is called a hard failure.

If a CI user’s internal is not working correctly yet it passes the integrity test, it is called a soft failure.

Hard failures are easier to diagnose and the remedy is reimplantation.

Soft failures are harder to diagnose.  

• HearPeers Heroes
27 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kirk S.

We are interested!  Smile

There are no questions you need to ask.  The integrity test is painless and it is an objective test.

You may find out the results at the appt or you may have to wait.

The integrity test checks our internal components.  If a problem is found, it is called a hard failure.

If a CI user’s internal is not working correctly yet it passes the integrity test, it is called a soft failure.

Hard failures are easier to diagnose and the remedy is reimplantation.

Soft failures are harder to diagnose.  

Oh, boy. Reimplantation. Sounds like fun. Oddly enough, I’m hoping they find something seriously wrong — a “hard failure.”  My current implant and processor have not given me any useful hearing in the 13 months since activation (and at least 500 hours of rehab in the meantime), so I don’t see any likelihood that this will miraculously change. Hopefully, they’ll give me a new implant and a new processor and that will make a difference....  Thanks for the help, as always. I’ll let you know how things go tomorrow. 

• Like 3

I am really sorry to hear about your struggle with that, @Kirk S..

I hope it all works out in the end. And remeber, you're not alone. 

Just out of curiosity -apologies if you've already answered this - did the surgery change anything as far as residual hearing or tinnitus or anything?