February HearPeers Chat on GoogleMeet

Mary Beth

A great session! So much good information was shared. Thanks everyone! See you all again next month.😊

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Good meeting thanks Beth! Inspite of all the gadgets and help that we get.... I wonder if there is any remedy for pure hearing exhaustion? I was just done in this afternoon, on top of another meeting I had two hours in the morning.

• HearPeers Heroes

@ats169

Alexa

That is a 3.5 audio in plug on the Artone Mic so yes you should be able to plug it into your computer.  (But some computers do connect directly with the Artone neckloop.  My work computer did.)

And there is also the Artone TVB that can be plugged into your computer and connect with the Artone neckloop.

72B046EA-6D99-49DC-9F62-470219906D32.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mr-LJ

Listening fatigue is a real issue.  Even more so now due to all of the video meetings.

In addition to taking breaks, I think feeling comfortable using captioning when tired can be helpful.

Recognizing listening fatigue and taking breaks is very important.

It was great to see you today!

• Like 3

Thanks @Mary Beth  I tested the ARtone 3 again and I think it has two mics on it. One is the big 3.5 port you mark in the diagram. This is where the provided/included lapel mic goes; and I thought, would serve to connect to the laptop or other device with a 3.5mm. I was unable to test that out on my laptop since I do not have a dual 3.5mm cable on me at the moment. But then I realized -- my artone 3 streamer bluetooth pairs with the laptop, so I'm not sure what I was thinking in the first place! I think perhaps I'm wondering if one could save on multiplicity of devices by attaching the Artone 3 mic to your tv or other non-bluetooth devices via that 3.5 mm port? In other words, why have the good folks at Artone made the TVB?

Oh also -- if two mic spots, then two wind muffs needed, I would think. I've ordered the little scruffy puff things that @Justin recommended ;) Might just tape over the tiny one on the side (pinhole sized!)

• HearPeers Heroes

@ats169

The mystery continues. Not sure about the small hole on the side.

The Artone Mic can be connected to a TV but the TVB offers connection via the optical port on the TV which sounds better.  There may also be a difference in audio delay.

Report back after testing out the wind covering.

Good seeing you all today!

There are a few questions I didn't get to ask, so I am posting them here. By the way, I was relying solely on the captions today - which were, as some of you saw, all over the place - so please forgive me if what you read next is confusing or incorrect or has already been discussed and answered...

It seems like the AudioLink doesn't work well in short distances from the processor. What about when it is connected to the television? (I have an AudioLink device, but audiologist told me not to open it, so I have not). This is one thing I definitely want from my connection device. Also, does the new Artone connect to tv? And lastly, when you do connect one of these devices to the tv, are you the only one that can hear it, or can you watch tv with others hearing also?

Also, @Mary Beth, the Artone has a neckloop, but it looked like you could take it off, is this correct?

THANKS!

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

The Artone BT neckloop is a neckloop and stays attached.  It can be worn under your shirt.

http://www.handsonhearing.com/user-review-on-artone-3-max-bluetooth-neckloop/

Alexa held up an optional accessory for the Artone neckloop (to be used together) called the Artone Mic.

http://handsonhearing.com/resources/ArtoneMicReview.pdf

There is another optional accessory for the Artone neckloop (to be used together) called the Artone TVB.  No one held this up today.  When attached to your TV, others hear the TV like normal.

http://handsonhearing.com/resources/ArtoneTVBReview.pdf

All of these links take you to my reviews of the Artone neckloop, Artone Mic and Artone TVB.  I do not have a financial connection to Artone. I just like their products.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

To answer your AudioLink and TV question.....

It varies.

My experience is not great.  It has lost connection with my Sonnets.  When attached to my TV via cable and the AudioLink dock, it is crazy loud.  In order to change volume, you have to go back to the AudioLink attached to the TV.

Some other people have had better experiences.

Some people just set the AudioLink as a remote mic near the TV speakers instead.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Now I am curious about distance and line of sight with your Roger Pen.  If you experiment with it outside with your husband, let us know how far away you can be and also what happens if he turns his back to you.

Of course...... this may have to wait until temperatures are more user friendly.  Smile 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Justin

If you test out connecting your Sonnet simultaneously to both your AudioLink and AudioStream and then use the AudioLink to turn off your Sonnet mics, let us know what happens when you stream from the AudioStream.  Is it still a 50/50 mix?  Curious minds want to know!  Smile

Mary Beth thanks again for making all this happen, it was such an incredible wealth of information ! One question I had about the devices: did you use Artone in place of AudioLink when you rehabbed your hearing? I have def. shared my feedback with Medel on what I hope to see improved with the Tech side of everything. The other question I had for you, John, and Justin: how do I relay some of what I learned today to the audiologist when I go at the end of March? I want the best mapping poss. of course. Should I mention the different studies you mentioned? thanks again I only wish I could have stayed for the whole meeting!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

It was so nice to see you today!  You are welcome.

When I rehabbed my CIs, the AudioLink did not even exist yet.  Smile.  Definitely the Artone neckloop would be great for rehab to your CI side.

And around the ear headphones would be great for listening for pleasure with both ears.  I love BOSE QC35.  My Sonnet fit in the large, comfortable headphone cups.  My spouse has acoustic hearing and loves  her BOSE QC35 headphones as well.  Excellent bass.  Great stereo separate right/left for instrumentals.  Makes me feel like I’m sitting in the middle of the band!

As far as your MAPping appointment....  I suggest you share what sounds good to you and what does not sound good to you.  You can ask to have your thresholds individually tested and set.  If you use Angel Sounds for rehab, keep a list of your errors..... I heard Tack but it was Tap.  And share errors that are repeated over time with your audiologist.  (Final P sounds like K)

The research studies using image guided MAPping that we discussed (Vanderbilt and UCSF each are running completely separate and different studies) are not available to our clinical audiologists.

You can ask if your CI center is using Med-El ‘s OTOPLAN.  That takes a post operative CT image of where your electrode array rests and gives information for MAPping.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R and @Justin

see @Jared Charney’s question to both of you above 

Jared you can tag members so they receive alerts by typing @ and then their username.  A list pops up and select the member.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

check out this link under anatomy based fitting available with Maestro 9

https://www.medel.pro/products/maestro9#Anatomy-Based_Fitting

I have to check to see if Maestro 9 has FDA approval yet.  We may still be waiting on that.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

looks like we are still waiting for FDA approval of Maestro 9

so those new features are not available to us yet in the US

BBF25827-11AC-43B4-8EA4-4473039FED37.jpeg

thanks again! I will try the Artone for sure and I actually have a pair of those Bose headphones and your right I cup it around the processor so I feel like I'm still exercising the CI. I will def. take that info. you are passing on to my next mapping cheers for all you are doing it really does help in so many ways !

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

Here is a link about the differences between an internal Synchrony implant and an internal Synchrony 2 implant.  They both work with various electrode arrays.

https://blog.medel.com/3-reasons-surgeon-loves-synchrony-2-cochlear-implant/

I believe the “new” fitting options you mentioned are part of the fitting software called Maestro 9.  That software works with various internal components.  Not only Synchrony 2.

I look forward to Maestro 9 receiving FDA approval in the US.  That is when we can experience the adaptive intelligence front end features.

Thank you again for your help in selecting a USB mic for my iMac.  I ordered one and hope it improves the sound quality of my voice during our GoogleMeet chats.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
5 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

Now I am curious about distance and line of sight with your Roger Pen.  If you experiment with it outside with your husband, let us know how far away you can be and also what happens if he turns his back to you.

Of course...... this may have to wait until temperatures are more user friendly.  Smile 

Honestly?  I've barely used it.  It's been in my box o' CI stuff almost all the time.  I use the Artone when I need to connect for meetings at work (and our chats) and once in a while when I'm on my computer and Ron doesn't want to listen.  I just haven't felt a need for additional assistive devices.  I hear fine in meetings and at work in general.  Until today it never occurred to me that this was unusual.

3 hours ago, Mary Featherston said:

Honestly?  I've barely used it.  It's been in my box o' CI stuff almost all the time.  I use the Artone when I need to connect for meetings at work (and our chats) and once in a while when I'm on my computer and Ron doesn't want to listen.  I just haven't felt a need for additional assistive devices.  I hear fine in meetings and at work in general.  Until today it never occurred to me that this was unusual.

I own two Roger Pens. Happy to give it a go Personally I hate the Audio quality compared to the Select, BUT the way it interfaces with my iPhone is amazing. 
if I have not answered you in a week please give me a prompt to get off my @ ss and do it :)

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

Test it out with the Select.  It should perform similarly outdoors due to line of sight.

@Mary Featherston

It is not uncommon. I do not use any assistive devices either except when I want to stream an audiobook and if I want to be hands free for a phone call.

But streaming music/audiobooks is quite popular and now that many of us are living through our screens connecting is even more popular.

Isn’t it great how we just wake up, put on our processors and hear?!  It still amazes me every day!

• Like 2

I definitely would be interested in hearing about results for the Roger Select -- I have two sitting on my shelf....perhaps for meetings indoors it would be good for me; I've only tried it outdoors for communications while horseback riding and it STINKS! I used my comtek FM system and a neckloop. I needed power and durability for the open spaces. My riding instructor was gracious enough to let me wire her up with tape like an undercover agent, ha!

The artone neckloop and remote mic system is really by far the most versatile - -the only con being that sometimes you are in an EM field and your T coils pick up on that. It was impossible to manage with OPus 2 processors, but the Sonnets 1 have made it quite manageable. I get interference in my car while driving, but once the podcast is running -- it's quite an excellent performance. It does grate after a while, the background buzz, so I'm good for about 2 hours of listening before I need to switch off or just go to regular mics and listen to the ambient environment. 

If I had to improve on the artone, i would ask for this: multiple mics simultaneously streaming to my neckloop. 

Back when I taught in lecture halls, I had priority use of a teleconf room that had a mic hardwired at each seat. I plugged my comtek FM system into the mixer in the back of the room, and instructed my students to turn their mics on and off. It was a dream @John R -- and I've always hankered after a portable version of this. I wonder if there's a way to hack Artone mics......???????

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

I’ve been thinking about your comment about Roger Pen & Roger Select.

Doesn’t the Roger Select interface with your iPhone the same way as the Roger Pen?  I think their BT connectivity is the same.