OT: talking brains, not CIs

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

I have a question for @Mary Beth, @Joan and anyone else whose journey was similar (or anyone interested, of course).  I was hearing impaired all my life, and it got worse and worse until I was finally identified as a CI candidate a couple of years ago.  My surgeon told me that it was possible that I'd lose my residual natural hearing, and I found that after my second implantation surgery I can't hear voices at all anymore. 

But the weird thing is, I was hearing other sounds.  I heard the hairdryer, for example, and other familiar sounds like (sorry, but) a toilet flushing.  But recently I had an experience that's made me change my mind.  I don't think I'm hearing them at all.  I think my brain knows what they sound like and so I "hear" them even though I don't actually hear a thing.  I was, as usual on a weekday, getting ready for work, and was in the bathroom getting clean and whatnot.  I was standing in front of the sink and noticed that the shower curtain was billowing, which was a little freaky in a small room with no window.  But then I looked down on the vanity top and realized that I'd accidentally turned on my hair dryer when I got it out of the drawer, and it was aimed at the shower. 

But I didn't hear it at all, because I didn't know it was turned on.  So now I think I don't actually have any residual hearing at all anymore and it's just my brain filling in the blanks.  Has anyone else had that experience?

@Mary Featherston I haven’t had that experience, but I can see where such an experience would be unsettling! I really did not have any residual hearing to be preserved when I got my implants. It had been over 30 years since I had been able to hear anything in either ear without the use of a hearing aid. However, weirdly enough, now I do think I can hear (ever so slightly) when the water tap is turned on. But, I have wondered if, in fact, I really do hear the water running or if it something I’m just sensing. I live alone so haven’t “tested” this but will try to remember to do so next time someone is here. Your experience makes me wonder, so now I really want to know! I’ll let you know.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Good question!  

I know I do not hear anything at al without my CIs.  My right side heard nothing at all pre-CI surgery and I lost the residual hearing I had in my left ear during the CI surgery.  It wasn’t much and they had to drill through my cochlea to insert the electrode array due to ossification of the round window so no big surprise.

What was surprising was that I missed that tiny bit of residual hearing when my implants were off.  I was surprised that I could miss something that was so insignificant in terms of actually hearing anything.  It took a couple of weeks to get used to complete deafness (not complete silence because my tinnitus is noticeable when my processors are off).

That being said..I do think that my brain provides auditory description services when my implant is off when I am doing things that have known sounds.  Smile.  But I can not hear them acoustically.

Our brains are amazing!

When my processors are off and I speechread my family, I “hear” their voices.  Do you?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
2 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

When my processors are off and I speechread my family, I “hear” their voices.  Do you?

Hm, I don't have good enough speechreading skill.  I'm far more comfortable hearing people when I can see them, but never progressed to being able to understand much if I'm not hearing anything.  COVID has improved my ability to hear without secondary cues, though.  This morning I didn't turn the captioning on, and was able to hear and understand everyone.  I have phone calls at work - LOTS of them, because we don't do in-person meetings anymore.  And I hear really well on those too, as long as I'm using my neckloop.  Actual telephones (like my desk phone at work) are harder for me, but my computer or my mobile phone with the Artone neckloop are wonderfully clear.

• Like 2