Rondo 2 battery life after the first year POLL

Mary Beth

Rondo 2 battery life after the first year of use  

7 members have voted

1. 1. How long does your Rondo 2 battery last after its first year of use?

• 10-12 hours
    • 13-15 hours
    • 16-18 hours
    • 19-21 hours
    • 22-24 hours

Spoiler alert: Rondo 3 not 2. At the risk of squewing the data, 78 days into activation and I am about to get my third Rondo 3. I measure and log the predicted battery life each morning after a night's recharge. With my first Rondo 3 it averaged 18+ hours which is normally enough for my life style. My second Rondo 3 is averaging low 14 hours which means it cuts out right at the best TV viewing time in the evening. For this reason I am getting  Mark 3 on Wednesday, hoping to get back to 18+hours.

During this last unsatisfactory period I received very good advice from our local Med-El guru. In your kit you have a USB Charging cable with a special connection to the Rondo. Charging this way is much faster than using the induction method and can work is parallel with charging. To get through the evenings I take this kit out and connect my Rondo to my Power Bank. It not only charges as I listen but also gives me about a 50% charge in one hour. It works really well for me if I'm sitting quietly and reasonably well if I'm moving about and have the power bank in my pocket. Apart from the cables and extra kit the only b-mol is that the weight/pull on the Rondo is increased and tests my #2 magnet: not unmanageable by any means. I still have my #3 magnet but the need has not overcome my inherent laziness.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Andrew42

The actual battery life of Rondo3 users in their daily lives is why I am not upgrading to Rondo3.  Being bilateral, the thought of having to attach 2 cables to 2 power packs and wear it like that in order to keep on hearing is not something I am willing to even consider.  Rondo 2 battery life reports from users is much longer.

• 2 months later...

My Rondo 2 battery life has come down to 14hrs 30mins, good thing i got the power bank with built-in wireless charger 10,000maH which can support 5w, 7.5w and 10w. Its easy to carry in pocket and wherever i get free time i can charge on it for like 10-15mins to get another hr life on my Rondo 2 plus i got extra wireless charging pad at the office. Now i think its time to order Rondo 3 and send this Rondo 2 for battery replacement under warranty.

I have a Rondo 2  not impressed by the battery life after about 2 years had to return it due to short battery life received replacement was getting about 15 hrs  on a good day I’m due for upgrade sticking with Sonnets

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dave in Pittsburgh and @Salik

The battery life of Rondo 3, which many users report is less than that of Rondo 2 even when new and not streaming audio, is why I will choose to upgrade to a BTE processor.

Also- Sonnet2 offers more convenient and better sounding connectivity as well as a built in telecoil.

But I had originally planned on Rondo 3.  The short battery life makes Rondo 3 impossible for my lifestyle.

I now have nearly three months of daily battery data for my Rondo 3. If I accept the remaining battery life figure generated from the Audio2key app I am averaging about 16:30 per day. However I have discovered a wrinkle that I need to investigate a bit more. The Audio2Key app gives two numbers a percentage left and a time. Today those numbers were 6% and 1.12 hours. Calculating 100% based on those two numbers the daily life for the battery today calculates to be  18.67 hours. The morning reading at 100% showed 18.46 so those two results are quite close. however  when I add the time between switch on and switch off today 15 hours to the residual on switch off 1.12 hours it gives a calculated life of just over 16 hours or about 85% of the calculated life based on the switch off residual life of 6% and 1.12 

This is one in a row and now I know of this I'm going to alter my spreadsheet to do this calculation each night.

From my personal perspective I am not looking for great accuracy, I am fundamentally wanting to ensure My daily number are better than 16 hours and that the results are reasonably consistent so that I rarely need to get out the power bank and cable for a quick boost

If anyone would like to so see the data, let me know and I will attach it. Its is spreadheet programme that took maybe 30' to create and about two minutes a day to keep running.'

16 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Dave in Pittsburgh and @Salik

The battery life of Rondo 3, which many users report is less than that of Rondo 2 even when new and not streaming audio, is why I will choose to upgrade to a BTE processor.

Also- Sonnet2 offers more convenient and better sounding connectivity as well as a built in telecoil.

But I had originally planned on Rondo 3.  The short battery life makes Rondo 3 impossible for my lifestyle.

This is the reason i didn't order last year as i thought they(Med-el) might upgrade the battery after hearing many user complains of shorter battery life of Rondo 3. Do you think they are still the same battery since the launch of Rondo 3? Also i had also planned for Rondo 3 as i really like how small Rondo 2 is and doesn't bother my ear anymore only the fear of shorter battery life is still not worth to replace my Rondo 2. 

• 1 month later...

Mine has been replaced once and the refurb unit is about a year and a half old now, get 15-16 hours   Only quirk is sometimes it faults on the charger, and when i wake up in the morning it is still charging and very hot.  Happens every 4-6 weeks on average

• HearPeers Heroes

Edited:  This may only be an option with Rondo 3.  Sorry.

14 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Darren

Some users have opted to charge it via the plug in port to avoid this in case that helps you.

any idea how or where to order it online? i didnt got this usb cable charging via port with my Rondo 2.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

sorry I think I am mistaken and possibly only Rondo 3 has the optional charging cable.

@MED-EL Moderator Is it possible to use a charging cable with Rondo 2 as well or does Rondo 2 only charge on the charging pad?

Hi @Salik and @Mary Beth,

the charging cable you're referring to is available only for RONDO 3. 

RONDO 2 charges only via the charging pad. 

Kind Regards,

Giulia

• Thanks 2

• 9 months later...

Has anyone replaced Rondo 2 battery? if so then how long does it take? Do we get battery under warranty?  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

The process for this probably varies from country to country.

In the US I believe it works like this…

if the battery needs to be replaced while the Rondo 2 is under warranty for some reason, a replacement Rondo 2 loaded with our MAPs is sent along with packaging to return the Rondo 2. The original warranty period still applies to the replacement.  (I have not read about the Rondo 2 battery needing to be replaced under warranty.)

If the battery needs to be replaced after the warranty expires, insurance approval and/or personal payment has to be handled and then a replacement Rondo 2 loaded with our MAPe is sent along with packaging to return the Rondo 2.  This repair service used to come with a six month warranty but I am not sure if that has changed.

@Joan has been using her Rondo 2 processors for 3.5 years so far I believe.  How is your battery life?

@Salik How long have you been using your Rondo 2?  How is your battery life?

19 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Salik

The process for this probably varies from country to country.

In the US I believe it works like this…

if the battery needs to be replaced while the Rondo 2 is under warranty for some reason, a replacement Rondo 2 loaded with our MAPs is sent along with packaging to return the Rondo 2. The original warranty period still applies to the replacement.  (I have not read about the Rondo 2 battery needing to be replaced under warranty.)

If the battery needs to be replaced after the warranty expires, insurance approval and/or personal payment has to be handled and then a replacement Rondo 2 loaded with our MAPe is sent along with packaging to return the Rondo 2.  This repair service used to come with a six month warranty but I am not sure if that has changed.

@Joan has been using her Rondo 2 processors for 3.5 years so far I believe.  How is your battery life?

@Salik How long have you been using your Rondo 2?  How is your battery life?

Been using since 2019 April, battery life is around 13.5 hrs now. I thought we get battery warranty for 5 years, anyhow i contacted to local Med-el team and they told me to send my Rondo 2 to them as they will send me the replacement (loaner) Rondo 2 with my map. I dont know how long it will take to change the battery but i guess they have to ship out to Med-el HO in Austria.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

In the US, processor warranties connected to surgeries and processor warranties for upgrade kits now have different warranty lengths.  This info varies country by country and also can change within a country over time.

In the US after a replacement processor is sent, that processor then becomes ours and our processor goes back to Innsbruck for repair/service and gets put back into the replacement processor pool for someone else eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2023 at 4:02 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Salik

In the US, processor warranties connected to surgeries and processor warranties for upgrade kits now have different warranty lengths.  This info varies country by country and also can change within a country over time.

In the US after a replacement processor is sent, that processor then becomes ours and our processor goes back to Innsbruck for repair/service and gets put back into the replacement processor pool for someone else eventually.

You are right, i just had given them my old Rondo 2 yesterday and got the new Rondo 2 as a replacement. I hope my next processor will be the latest one maybe Rondo 4 or Rondo 3 updated one with better battery life.