How often to change Rondo covers?

Kirk S.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi All,

I’m curious how often Rondo users change the covers on their processor units. Medel recommends changing the covers every three month “for best performance.”  I’m wondering why so often? They seem fine to me after three months and the custom covers in particular, which I like, aren’t cheap. Is there a technical issue involved? Or just marketing? I’m happy to continue changing my covers every three months if there’s a good reason. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks! 

Kirk

• HearPeers Heroes

Hadn’t thought of that. So, the filters are located in the cover and not in the body of the processor? Makes sense, I guess... Sounds like the name of a rock band: “Kirk and the Microphone Filters” ... By the way, what covers do you use for your Rondo? I like “Melody” and “Stained Glass” 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kirk S.

yup.  The filters are in the cover. For my Sonnet mic covers I can see the tiny black filters.  Check to see if you can see the filters in your Rondo 2 covers.  Maybe hold it up to a light.

My Sonnet 1 mic covers need to be changed every 2 months to maintain sound quality.  Before 3 months the high frequency sounds start to get dampened.

The same design covers are available for DL-coils for Sonnet 1 and 2.  I always smile when I see the green monster cover.  

98FEC82F-6DFF-48E0-B4B8-18ABF06EF134.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, thanks, I can see the black filters in the interior of the cover using a magnifying glass. I suppose it’s cheaper and/or more effective to replace the whole cover unit rather than try to clean or replace just the filters. ...I hope Medel comes out with some new cover designs. As I mentioned, I like the Melody and Stained Glass, but I’m tempted to pop on the Pirate model just to see what reaction I’d get. I’ve yet to see a single other person in Japan wearing a Rondo of any design, but I’ve seen a few people trying not to stare at mine. But not in an unpleasant way. Japan is such a high-tech place I think people think it’s just a very cool music device. They’re probably thinking, “Hey, where can I get one of those?”  :)  

• HearPeers Heroes

You have time - try all the bold designs! Pirate sounds very cool!!

Every time I change my sonnet cover I put a new design on. I look forward to it every time!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kylie. How often do you change your Sonnet cover? I know that the Sonnets have different color combinations — and they look very cool — but do they also have custom-design covers like the Rondos? Mary Beth says she likes the “Green Monster” but that might be a little too flashy for me. My students will probably like it, though! The plain brown and black Rondo covers are a bit boring and klunky-looking, I think. Now that my poor suffering country has finally elected a president whom we can be proud of again  — Who could dislike a president named “Joe”? — I am hoping to find a Rondo cover with the American flag design. I could pretend I’m a diplomat :) !

• HearPeers Heroes

I still can't upload pictures since my last post, where I tried to get the forum to fix it but it never happened. It says my max upload limit is 3kb.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes, I have the same problem. My max file upload size is 33.94 kb, which is basically nothing. I think Mary Beth has upload superpowers.... However, you can click on the link below and download the Rondo Product Catalogue (.pdf file), which includes all of the “Design Covers.”  I just replaced the “Stained Glass” cover with the “Melody” cover. I think they both look good.... 

https://www.medel.com/support/product-support/audio-processors/rondo/downloads

• HearPeers Heroes

I change mine every 3 months. Yes you can get custom designs from medel but I buy decals from skinit because I can get more designs.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Okay @Kyle

You should be able to post the pic of your present skin it covers now.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, Mary Beth. Photos are fun. Here’s the “Melody” cover that I am currently using. People seem to like it.  By the way, it costs about $17.00 in Japan at the current exchange rate. I can only buy Medel accessories through the Medel-Japan online store because I live in Japan. The Japanese are very strict about that kind of stuff. I’m going to check out the Skinit store, since Kylie points out they have some cool cover designs, too. Not sure yet if they ship to Japan. I’ll let you know. 

8A2EDB54-E488-4FF7-9793-BC7E3270ADEB.jpeg

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kirk S.

You may want to check first with Med-El .  For some reason I think I read somewhere that Med-El does not recommend using adhesive design covers on Rondo 2 & Rondo 3.

• HearPeers Heroes

This is my current decal (nebula) and one previous (beach).

nebula.jpg

beach smallest.jpg

• HearPeers Heroes
20 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kirk S.

You may want to check first with Med-El .  For some reason I think I read somewhere that Med-El does not recommend using adhesive design covers on Rondo 2 & Rondo 3.

Thanks, will do. 

• HearPeers Heroes
11 minutes ago, Kylie said:

This is my current decal (nebula) and one previous (beach).

nebula.jpg

beach smallest.jpg

Very cute! I saw a Skinit for Rondo that has a very artsy, cool “American flag” design that I like a lot. As per Mary Beth’s recommendation, I’ll check with my Medel-Japan guys to see if it’s OK to use adhesive covers with Rondos. My guess is that they’ll say “No.”  In Japan, “No, you can’t do that!” is the default answer to any question asked by a foreigner!  That’s OK — I just want to get the !@#$%* working!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

I love those skin it designs!  I ordered skin it decals before my first activation!  I love skin it decals on my Fine Tuner.  I use 2 Fine Tuner remotes -placed at 2 key spots- as I use them to switch to T for audiobook listening with my Artone.  One has a beautiful sea turtle design and the other one has a Green Bay Packers (American football team) design.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

I apologize for asking this again but I searched and am not able to find your original reply.

Is it okay to use adhesive decals (skin it or design covers) on Rondo 2 and Rondo 3 processors?

I recall that we are not supposed to use adhesive decals on the new FineTuner Echo.

30 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

I apologize for asking this again but I searched and am not able to find your original reply.

Is it okay to use adhesive decals (skin it or design covers) on Rondo 2 and Rondo 3 processors?

I recall that we are not supposed to use adhesive decals on the new FineTuner Echo.

Hi @Mary Beth, no problem :) 

Here is our product experts reply about using stickers with RONDO 2 - the same goes for RONDO 3: 

We recommend to refrain from applying design skins or other stickers to RONDO 2. Adding stickers may increase the weight of the single unit processor, moreover there is the risk that the microphone might be covered by accident. Since this does not happen with design covers, we recommend the use design covers instead of skins or stickers.

Link to the discussion that includes our original reply: 

Hope that answers your question!

Verena