New...Opus or Rondo?! Help!

MELinFL

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the forum and I want to start off by saying thanks to everybody for posting great info!  I'm a candidate for implant (one for now possibly bilateral later). I go back to my Audiologist next week for balance testing and also see the Doctor then hopefully schedule surgery. So I have another week to make a decision on product.

I'm leaning toward Med-El. Right now I have only 16% speech recognition with HA's and what little I have left is quickly going. So I want to try to save my residual hearing but if it goes sooner rather than later whatever. I really really like the idea of RONDO so I have a couple of questions...

I work in a library (I know right!? But I actually do ok because it's quiet) and I have to answer the phone frequently which is a bummer because I truly struggle hearing on the phone. So with RONDO or Opus, how is phone use?

How is music? I love my music and really miss hearing long guitar solos, so I'm wondering which gets better sound quality with music?

I also like that what the literature says about not having to manually change from different environments, such as from quiet to loud, it's supposed to do it by itself. How well does that work?

Can you hear passengers in your car while driving with either RONDO or Opus? Right now, I can't hear anyone in the car with me while driving.

Any info would be great!  Considering that a few months ago I was resigned to the fact that I would probably be completely deaf soon, to now looking forward to hearing better again is amazing, and I'm so inspired by all of your comments and helpfulness!  Thanks!

Melody

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Melody,

welcome to the HearPeers forum. Whichever company you choose, please feel yourself like you are at home.

As far as your questions, today lots of professionals are more prone toward earlier than later implantation. The reason lies within the neuronal plasticity which actually improve our ability for understanding. This means, that at first possibly lot of sound will sound strange so the recipient needs to perform regular excercise to (re)habilitate the sense of hearing but also for understanding.

As I am not CI recipient, I can not offer you my personal experience (although I have experienced partially a feeling of learning how to listen, to differ and, finally to hear instantly not delayed understanding due to thorough evaluating of what I have heard), a good source is MED-EL Blog - read there stories of individual CI recipients: I have aquired valuable knowledge to understand my state of hearing and what I should/would accomplish due to the acclimatisation period. http://www.medel.com/blog/new-sounds-cochlear-implant-claire-stancliffe/

Here we come to your first question: with CI you will regain hearing but you will need a time for develop understanding. Regular excercise with familiar person will accelerate the process.

Regarding you question about music, the experiences are different. Usually after some time, people start to understand the music they loved so much before their hearing loss. At the beginning it could be little bit dissapointgly but it becomes better.

I have listen TED Talk of Prof. Charles Limb who actually claims that music, unfortunately never reproduce over CI as natural which actually has lots of in common with brain plasticity and, after all with different paths and/or centres in the brain.

But, taking into account people testimonies, I can not conclude that most of people are satisfied with their regained abilities.

Please, take a piece and start feel as the part of community! :)

• 1 year later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi there, after research on forum I get here. I don't know if the best site, and last post here are on 2015. Howeber, I give a try.  (update post and probably upgraded models)

I had implanted last month (sep 2016). This month I have the "connection". Doctors give me two options Rondo or Opus2? What is bether? this is the great option

I know Rondo have not rechargeable battery, Med El say 5-6 days, but some users say not more two days.

Rondo is easy to put on head, Opus2 go BTE. Is this better or bad for best earing perfomance?

Rondo could go to the sink or toilet more easy than Opus2

I had implanted with lasts Med-El implant where keep the cochlear hearing.

What should I bear in mind at the moment to choose one or other model?

Thank you very much

Greetings

valtf

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello and welcome,

The current processor options in the US are Sonnet or Rondo. The Sonnet is Med-El's newest behind-the-ear processor.  It has their newest technology dual mics, windblock, etc).  If I had to choose between a Sonnet and a Rondo, I would pick the Sonnet because of its newest technology.

If your choices are Opus2 or Rondo, they are both based on the same technology.  Things sound the same to me in the Opus2 and the Rondo in quiet places.  In noisy places, I hear better with the Opus2 because of the location of its microphone.  I love wearing the Rondo in the water (in its waterwear cover and tethered to me) but I prefer behind-the-ear processors for everyday use.  They are easier to use on the phone.

I have all three processors (Opus2, Rondo and Sonnet).  They are all great.  Best of luck to you.

• HearPeers Heroes

I do not understand because if is Sonnet on MED EL website in my country, in the hospital I implanted, they offered Opus 2 instead other one :-(

Thank's

• HearPeers Heroes
1 hour ago, valtf said:

I do not understand because if is Sonet in MED EL website in my country, in the hospital I implanted they offered Opus 2 instead other one :-(

Thank's

Hello,

where are you from?

Sonnet is the newest processor on the market by Med-EL - perhaps your hospital has old stockpile of Opus model although Sonnet is already 2 years on the market.

• HearPeers Heroes
1 minute ago, valtf said:

I'm in Spain.

I attended a congress few days ago on the cochlear implantation topic and there was one surgeon from Madrid who said that situation in Spain depends a lot on where you're implanted. Different hospitals - different access to implants...

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you.

I will ask on Monday about posibility change it.

I read some interesting new features on Sonet. I'm figthing all weekend on What processor chose for me, and now I found sonnet here.

Oh my god! 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Read about all three processors on the Med-El website.  Also check out Med-El's YouTube channel for more info on each processor.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

By the way...the more important part is which internal component you will receive.  Check that out too.

Newest internal is Synchrony.

• HearPeers Heroes

I remember something Combi plus I don't know remember it exactly, I'm sorry. I will ask on Monday.

Than's for your help

• HearPeers Heroes
4 minutes ago, valtf said:

I remember something Combi plus I don't know remember it exactly, I'm sorry. I will ask on Monday.

Than's for your help

Combi 40+?  You must be joking...

:blink::blink::blink: - This internal part belongs to a history... http://www.medel.com/history/

• HearPeers Heroes

It's probbably I was confused because my CI support RMN and Airport arcs. I believe it is not and historic CI :-)

Wait for monday for don't confuse community.

• HearPeers Heroes

I hope so, because this sounds like someone found long-time forgotten model at the bottom of closet. :blink:

- Is it unopened? Great! - It can be useful....:P :ph34r:

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana, I confirm right now. I have a Concerto CI not C40+ like I said other day.

• 4 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

MELinFL

we haven't heard from you in a while. How are things going? Which did you decide to go with? If you had the surgery, did things turn out ok?

• HearPeers Heroes

I have a concerto as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk