Had surgery two weeks ago

bevE

Hi All

I had CI surgery two weeks ago.  I never had surgery before and am in my fifties, so needless to say I was very, very nervous. To those of you who maybe a little apprehensive as I was about having the implant, don't be.

The whole team at the hospital have been wonderful before and after the surgery. They answered all of my questions and were/are never impatient if I have any concerns.

Surgery went well. I was in the OR at 10am and remember waking up in recovery a little before 1pm. I had nausea and pain for the first couple of days but that has gone away. The implanted ear is a little sore at times but nothing major, or nothing that a Tynenol can't take care of. The first week I mainly rested and took lots of naps. Second week I was doing a lot more, but tried not to over do it.

Activation is schedule for 2/17. about 3 1/2 weeks after surgery. Thanks to all who shared their CI experience on the forum. It helped me a lot in preparing for my CI journey. Special shout out to Ken Stern, who is on this forum and never got tired of all my inquiries about venturing into the world of hearing with a CI.

Bev

• 2 weeks later...

hi thanks for your reassurance. I'm the same age as you, a musician,deaf on left side, from south Yorkshire UK, last op I had was about 50 years ago so can't remember much!Bonebridge implant scheduled for next month, more anxious about the anasthetic than the implant, but sure I'll be ok. Regards Duncan

Hi Duncan,

You will be fine! I was activated 3 days ago. Already hearing sound and speech from my implanted ear. It's a bit robotic but I've been reassured by the audi and others that that will get better with time.

Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted.

Bev.

Originally from UK, Birmingham. Live in the US now.

Hi Beverly,

I am glad to have found your post here.  I am very curious about the sound quality in your CI ear...  I am getting ready to get a CI and still have the important choice of which manufacturer to choose.  (I have a family member who has one of the prototype units from 1987 done by another manufacturer.

I see that your activation date was a few days ago.  I hope that has gone well for you!  What are the sounds like?

Do they sound realistic or robotic or what?  My Pops and a friend of mine describepeople's voices as being Donald Duck -ish (their CIs are from another manufacturer).

Hi Brant,

I started the activation process a week ago. I can hear people talking and am able to tell what they are saying. The speech does however, sound a bit "tinny" and "robotic". My audiologist said it will get better in time. So am being patient. It's only been a week.

Good Luck on your journey to better hearing.

Bev

Hey Bev,

Tanks for the response!  I'm looking forward to finally making my choice.  Which sound processor did you go with?

I am looking forward to finally getting mine installed and putting the work in to learn to use it. Got a meeting with the Audiologist next week to pick which one I want.  My Pops has an old CI from another company...  but it's 27 years old and still working, lol!

I think I'm going go go with the MEDEL system...  depending on the answers I get from the audi....

Thanks again for responding!
~Brant

Hi Brant,

I went with Med El. I have the Rondo and the Opus 2.  I like them a lot.

And yes, you definitely have to put in the effort and work to get the full benefit I'm told.

I'm willing to work at it, and I'm looking forward to the CI experience getting better and better.

I hope mine last as long as your dads. LOL.

I'm excited for you. Good luck with everything keep us posted.

Bev

• 2 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Beverly

How are things progressing for you? I hope all is well.

adam