AudioStream dampen our mics?

Mary Beth

I've just tried to use my AudioStream with my Sonnet 2 and turn off the mics using Audio Key 2. In rhis case the AudioStream is muted, too. It does not matter if I mute the mics using 100% t-coil or the monitoring mode. @StarStuff   @Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dani

Do you have AudioLink?

Have you tried muting the mics through AudioLink and then streaming through AudioStream?

@Mary Beth

Yoi're right there is a mute button on AudioLink, too. With this button pressed you will only hear everything that is streamed from AudioLink. I.e. a BlueTooth connected device or via audio cable or its external microphone. 

Anything else is muted. That applies to Sonnet's internal mics, t-coil *and* AudioStream. In this case I can't stream anything via AudioStream. At least I don't hear anything during audio playback on my iPhone. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dani

Thanks for testing that out.  Someone mentioned it as a possible work around but I wasn’t sure if it would work.  The AudioLink sends audio to a built in Sonnet/Sonnet 2 receiver which is separate from the AudioStream’s BTLE battery cover receiver.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, wanted to report on something I discovered that might help others in my situation: I discovered if you block the microphones using a piece of scotch/masking tape, the mics will completely mute themselves when the AS is streaming sound. Normally just putting a piece of tape over the mics would probably only result in a 50% or less dampening effect, but for whatever reason, when combined with AS, it makes them completely silent. 

I know this isn't exactly practical in most use cases for the AS, but it's a great solution for when I want to get on the elliptical and not have the sound of the machine/gym interfere with my audiobooks/TV/music. (Also has the benefit of keeping sweat out of my mics!)

Still hoping MedEl engineers fix this soon.

• HearPeers Heroes

@StarStuff

I haven’t tried that.

I had an AudioStream MAP made with sensitivity set at 0% and volume range set at 70-100% (instead of 80-100%).  I can use 75% volume with my iPhone on max volume.  In noise it blocks most but not all of the environmental sounds.

On 8/27/2021 at 9:01 PM, Mary Beth said:

@StarStuff

I haven’t tried that.

I had an AudioStream MAP made with sensitivity set at 0% and volume range set at 70-100% (instead of 80-100%).  I can use 75% volume with my iPhone on max volume.  In noise it blocks most but not all of the environmental sounds.

For whatever reason, sensitivity settings just don't do anything for my map. The audiologist and I tried to create a 0% sensitivity, and it barely made a difference for me. I don't think it has anything to do with the device because I've tried both my primary and backup processor, and it's the same.

• HearPeers Heroes

@StarStuff

For me it is the combination of both sensitivity at zero percent and volume set to 70-100%.  I move into this program and then turn up the volume on my iPhone and use the remote to turn down my Sonnet volume as far as I can before the streamed audio becomes too quiet.  This volume setting is remembered for that program slot so after the initial setting of volume I just move into this program and it is all set.

Ok, is audio stream part of the sonnet 2? I chose the audiolink because the only other option for my kit was a neck thing u can get at amazon....any advice on which amazon item to get? I kind need ease of use at the get go, looks like audiolink will be.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

I believe AudioStream comes automatically in Sonnet 2 kits in the US and we also select an additional connectivity option.  So your kit may include both AudioStream and AudioLink.  No need to purchase anything else.  See how those work for you first.